JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
There is a great increase in residential burglaries in rural Clackamas County where firearms and tools, including tractors, are being targeted.

My friend had his back door kicked in and the house ransacked on Friday, July 20th just outside of Oregon City. According to the Sheriff's Office the burglars are very prolific and are targeting rural locations taking firearms, tools, and cash. They probably have huge drug habits so they will not stop.

Make sure you have the serial numbers of ALL your firearms recorded somewhere safe so law enforcement can get them entered into the computer systems, LEDS/NICI, so you have a faint chance of getting them back.

Hi 19 Adam,

Thinks for the heads up as I live in HappyValley But not know if any of those bad guys are working in this area. Any one know how many of them? What time of day?
Thanks again,
Tony Portland, Oregon Area

Hi 19 Adam,

Thinks for the heads up as I live in HappyValley But not know if any of those bad guys are working in this area. Any one know how many of them? What time of day?
Thanks again,
Tony Portland, Oregon Area

It was daytime, 9-5, when everyone was at work. The took a tractor in addition to all the other stuff so they had a trailer or very large truck/flatbed.

Nothing is safe. Record your serial numbers and keep them in a safe place. Put up trail cameras along your driveway to help I.D the thief. We have a Costco surveillance system and the recorder is in a remote location. I am going to set it up for Internet monitoring and activate the Iphone alert so I can tell when someone is on the property.

If you have a driveway and your neighbors work you need to protect yourself. LoJack for laptops and your cars motorcycles and tractors will help the police get your stuff back and arrest the bad guys. These are small investments if you have nice stuff. Remember that video is your friend and can prove who took your stuff. The police can serve search warrants based on info from your home security video.

Burt Gummer do you mind posting a link or giving the name of said " $50 HD cameras" I am really interested in such a device.

Sent from my M860 using Tapatalk 2

I know you can set up a system for less but I just went to Costco.com and have not been unhappy. The $200 Lorex wireless works great, especially at night, but I expanded for more camera's and added a DVR and the Internet. Don't know the total $$ so far but it is kind of fun setting it all up and then sitting around at night on the computer with the surveillance monitor right next to me. The entire system was less than one high quality AR.

First get an SD based small HD camera system. They are usually made for cars, which is fine.

2.5" TFT LCD Screen HD Portable Car DVR 6 IR LED Audio Camera Vedio Recorder | eBay

Power it with a $5 USB AC charger and USB ext cord (there are misc cords that come with it). Add a $5 8mb SD card. Point it out a window for outside surveillance in a less obvious place if possible.

There are also a slew of SD-based 'spy' cameras on Ebay for inside work. I have 2-3 around the house constantly recording and filming in a 3-day loop. If someone breaks in I'll have video of them, audio too, all in HD, dirt cheap.

Cheap insurance. Since many times a burglar is someone who has been in your house before - a contractor, a friend of a friend - your odds of getting enough info to zero in on them is higher than you think. PLUS you have an audio recording of all their chatting if there is more than one perp.

There is one that looks like a surge protector. Just add an SD card and it is good. Put it in your living room or kitchen, leave it and forget it; until you need it. Clocks, clothes hangers, you name it.

Buy cheap/broken cameras and hang them up high around your property. Run the cords 10' or so to nowhere. Thieves do not like cameras that they can see clearly from their approach. Especially if they break in and can't find the PC or DVR doing the storage.

Those are only diversions. Thieves that see cameras will scour your house for a DVR. With covert SD units, that will be futile for them.

It is all about making your house less attractive.

If you don't have an alarm system, can't afford one, or don't want one - go to Ebay and buy genuine ADT or other alarm stickers. Put them on all the windows.

Get a sheriff's alarm permit. Or a fake one. Put it in a visible place, in a window where someone will see it approaching your house. Thieves will call a bluff when they don't see a permit but just stickers.

Alarms are really a pain. The only ones that will stop thieves from doing a smash and grab <5min on your home is one with outside sirens. Cops give responding to home alarms the lowest priority and crooks know that fact. The problem is, false alarms will have neighbors and the police up in arms, fines, etc.

Work with your neighbors. Park in front of their house or in their driveway when they are gone and they do the same. Thieves hate lights so light up your homes exterior the best you can. Always take the time to break your pattern. Stereo is cranked up and lights are on when you are not home, all is quiet when you are. Change it up.

#1 - and cheapest - go out to the hardware store and buy 3" deck steel screws and replace all the screws around your outer doors including the lockset. You'd be surprised how easy it is for anyone to kick a door in. Use a floor/pry bar on any unused outer doors.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Master-...481?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab98ebd79

Reinforce door jams with steel plates, 4' or better strips that run the length of the door.

There are tons of cheap ways to make your house either less attractive to thieves or if they decide to target you, make it much harder for them. Most homes are a 2 on a 1-10 scale in terms of ease of break-in.

Install these on all outer doors. Thieves love DOORS for break ins. Especially your main doors 90% of the time. You can go to ACE hardware and get steel plate strips to make your own cheap, but they aren't as pretty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Door Jamb Armor Helps Stop Home Invasion and Burglary

where can I get this at ?

I have a 110 lb German Shepherd Dog but everything helps I would be upset if he broke a toenail or something

When I lived out in Sandy, OR, the farm house next to me was repeatably burglarized, but there was no obvious signs of forced entry.
All of the locks were changed, but every month or so the homeowner would come home from work and find stuff missing.
They finally caught the guy by installing an alarm system and luckily having a county sheriff in the area when it was activated.
He was using a small hydraulic bottle jack and a block of 2x4 to spread apart the door jamb.
Position it near the door knob and just pump it an inch or so, and the door would just swing open.
He would re-lock it when leaving.
I have used this method when one of my renters moved out and didn't leave me a key to get inside to change locks.

Door Jamb Armor Helps Stop Home Invasion and Burglary

where can I get this at ?

I have a 110 lb German Shepherd Dog but everything helps I would be upset if he broke a toenail or something

Recommend you poison proof him, it's easy with an electric fence charger, you can buy them at any feed store

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top