JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I stumbled across an ad in CL that had a really good deal on an item - about one third to one fourth of its actual value - i.e., $1K vs. about $4K.

Item looks like in new condition. Searching around a wider area, similar items by same manufacturer, used, go from $3K to $6K in less good condition, one looking pretty ratty for over $2K.

Found the same ad with same pic, advertised up and down I-5 from Washougal to Seattle, with slightly different prices, but all between $1K and $1.1K. The ads have slightly different descriptions - one ad describes a different model for the same exact pic. Several of the ads have slight grammar problems in the description. Some mention accessories that the other ads don't.

I have to wonder - is this ad an attempt to get someone to show up with $1K in their pocket and rob them?

I replied to the ad via email (it went to the CL email for the ad) asking how many hours were on the machine. In my experience even legit ads rarely answer the emails. It gives several different phone #s to call.

Am I being overcautious?

The ad just seems too good to be true to me, but it is a hell of a deal if true.

You mean ads for 2013 Honda Accords with 13k miles for $3800? Totally legit. Don't let the lack of license plates or the tile roofed house and palm trees in the background throw you off. And if you miss out on the one in Portland, don't worry. There's a twin for sale in Seattle...and Salem...and Boise...and Salt Lake...and Reno...

Googled the phone number. Came up with a name/address in Battleground but in my experience numbers change owners so often that this doesn't necessarily mean anything. The name accounts for the slight grammar issues in the ads (even a native english speaker could make these mistakes).

I texted the number asking where the unit is and where/when I could see it. We'll see what the response indicates.

I did do a google search on the photo and got nothing of interest that would say it was a copy from somewhere else.

It could be legit - sometimes people are desperate, don't know what they have or just don't care. I had one guy here on NWFA give me 7 lab containers for free that were worth about $50 to $100 each.

<broken link removed>

This one describes it as a 225 not a 250:

<broken link removed>

<broken link removed>

<broken link removed>

I think there are a couple more ads in WA state.

Other NWFA member have found this same ad in other states.

I am calling it a scam at this point

You can see why it is so tempting and so suspicious; these go for about $4K new.

People been scamming motorcycle ads a lot lately, so if in doubt stay away from deals too good to be true. A messed up computer can cost a lot of fix plus the hassle of being hacked isn't worth it.

If for some reason you do get a response and go see it in Battle Ground let me know I would be happy to meet you and go with ya for safety reason's.

Speak of the devil, just got a text reply. Said he posted it for his aunt. So maybe it is an estate sale. Don't know. Doesn't quite jive with the ad, but we'll see.

Thanks for the offer. Might take you up on it. The thing weighs 500 pounds so I don't know how a person would load it if they don't have a hoist there.

I don't think I can get it today as I can't pull any more money out via ATM (just bought a $500 from someone here).

Speak of the devil, just got a text reply. Said he posted it for his aunt. So maybe it is an estate sale. Don't know. Doesn't quite jive with the ad, but we'll see.

Thanks for the offer. Might take you up on it. The thing weighs 500 pounds so I don't know how a person would load it if they don't have a hoist there.

I don't think I can get it today as I can't pull any more money out via ATM (just bought a $500 from someone here).

I live 10 minutes from Battle Ground so just let me know.

Shaky or questionable adds on Flakeslist ?? No way. I run multiple adds on flakeslist for a business and get all kinds of inquires via e mail. Even though I have it in capital letters at the top of the description in the add "E MAIL INQUIRES WILL NOT BE ANSWERED".

They still e mail with random questions and stupid remarks. I never answer them back. I had an older friend (79) ask me to help him sell a Sleep Number bed on craigslist for $ 3,500. Seems to be the target price range for the scam jerkoffs. I set the add up for him with his contact information, and sure enough in less than 9 hours he had a bunch of texts from some jack wagon with questions and he started answering them and lo and behold they hit him with the old I am going to send you a check for $ XXXXX and you send me back $ :eek:

He called me and asked about it and I said Hell no, stop texting with them and block the number. Which he did. He got a couple more inquires and decided it was such a pain in the azz he donated it to the Habitat ReStore and we went over and loaded it up and took it there.

What a fing pain in the azz. I have been using some local Facebook pages to sell some things and still run into jerk wads there even. Probably 30% of the adds on Flakeslist are scams and 40% are ran by morons. Oh and Flakeslist could care less about it when you report a scam.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top