JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Here's an article I just wrote after talking with Kevin Starrett of OFF and Mark Roberts, director of the Liberal Gun Club. It highlights just a few of the reasons people need to chill out and stop alienating people who otherwise might be sympathetic to gun rights.
-Ross Eliot

<broken link removed>

It is a very good point.
Thanks for shareing.
I think many people would be surprised how many more staunch 2A supporters there really are out there who are alienated because of race creed sexual orientation. As much as I hate to say it " I swear everytime gun control is mentioned, it most always goes to a dem/rep argument." Who cares for who voted for who, as a human they can still have the same personal feelings as the other person on gun ownership!!!! Just not the same political view on other issues!!!!
As far as I am concerned both parties have been lacking any care for the Constitution, or what it stands for, as long as thier personal political agenda is met!!!!
Sorry for the rant!!
But I for one am sick of the narrow mindedness!!!

Last Edited:
Here's an article I just wrote after talking with Kevin Starrett of OFF and Mark Roberts, director of the Liberal Gun Club. It highlights just a few of the reasons people need to chill out and stop alienating people who otherwise might be sympathetic to gun rights.
-Ross Eliot

<broken link removed>

Bloody outstanding.

Edit:

“Listening to NPR talk gun politics is like Fox News on climate change…”

:s0114:

Yup! It's hard to anticipate how people might feel about this whether red/blue, male/female, rich/poor, whatever.

My favorite speaker at the Capital in Salem last Saturday was the nervous soccer mom who told us she doesn't own guns and has never even touched one. She explained that she doesn't want her son to grow up in a society where politicians make decisions for him and tell him what he can, and cannot, do.

No shrill chants, crafty slogans, foot-stomping or threats. Just calm, articulate reason.

Bravo young lady!

So an article condemning uncivil behavior by gun owners cites the death threats received by Kurt Eichwald after he penned an article calling for a repeal of 2A, i.e. handing total, absolute power to the government. The death threats are counter-productive, but you do realize that Kurt Eichwald is not a civil person for calling for something so grotesque?

I'm sure Stalin was perfectly polite as he signed the death warrants for millions of innocents. That doesn't make him civil.

Nailed it:

Apparently, many of the same extreme elements who bombard everyone from Ginny Burdick to Sarah Brady with abuse, aren't content merely opposing individuals who actively seek to curtail gun rights, but also anyone who doesn't fit their narrow definition of who 2nd Amendment defenders should be. While some may find this merely a frustrating example of disunity in crisis, more worrisome is that such levels of dialogue have become acceptable at all. Gun owning communities needs to keep members in check and adopt a zero-tolerance attitude toward words that advocate violence against individuals who favor increased firearm restrictions. Such outbursts only confirm the worst fears about armed Americans and reinforce negative stereotypes.

Thanks for posting this. I'll admit to not always being the most civil person when it comes to discussing gun rights. There is an old guy in our neighborhood. Korean War vet, former local politician, former business owner and teacher. Smart guy. He has a gun collection that would be the envy of 95% of gun owners, even makes his own rifles and wild cats. He can tell you what politican voted for which measure, can tell you the names of the CEO's of companys like Brownells, Midway, Cheaper than Dirt,etc. He can tell you exactly which ones sold out to the anti gun crowds and when they did it. He can make as strong of a case for the second amendment as any lobbyist, politician , salesman and gun owner. He can persuade just about anyone to own a gun...until he refers to Obama as "that n***er in the white house", which he will inevitably do when talking guns. At that point he loses any credibility when trying to convince others other support our second amendment rights. One word can completely change a persons view on gun ownership.

Thanks for that article on the lack of civility and narrow mindedness from some folks. It really hit the nail on the head with regards to the lengths to which some people will go to try to force their views on others.

Hell I've experienced it in the last 2 weeks in this forum. When I dared to postulate that the right to keep and bear arms was a legal right as opposed to a natural right I was called a "dumbass", a "statist" etc. I let the thread sink but I'm sure there were some other choice terms used that I never saw. So let me get this straight, I've been shooting for over 45 years, I carry a concealed weapon, I'm a huge supporter of the 2nd Amendment, I believe gun bans in general and specifically in the case of military style semi autos are wholly unconstitutional but because I don't believe the 2A was divinely proclaimed I'm the bad guy and deserve to be ridiculed? Way to crap in your own bed boys.

As a new member here I have found that some members are quick to criticize and berate those who disagree with them or simply offer anything other than an echo of their own feelings. There are some threads that I just have to walk away from because, although we share a love of firearms, my views on other topics are not only unworthy of hearing, but cause for outright spite.

I have no problem with citizens of the USA of any race, creed, gender, or sexual orientation owning firearms.

What I do have a problem with is any firearm owner voting for politicians that have a record of trying to take away our Second Amendment rights.

Seems pretty simple to me.

I have no problem with citizens of the USA of any race, creed, gender, or sexual orientation owning firearms.

What I do have a problem with is any firearm owner voting for politicians that have a record of trying to take away our Second Amendment rights.

I would expand that to include any politicians who to take away any of our rights as law abiding citizens.

Some car owners think that auto safety standards should be higher, and vote for those proposals. It isn't necessarily a double-standard, and neither is a gun owner who supports restrictions on gun rights. They might get more than they asked for, but the asking itself is just a free expression of what they believe to be right.

I would remind everyone that there is a HUGE difference between a gun owner and a 2A supporter.

John Kerry and Dianne Feinstein come to mind. I'm sure there are some from the other side of the aisle as well.

Enjoyed the read very much and really liked your picture. I had to show it to my wife and she thought it was great too. I am anti-govt getting in your business. I want the govt to have less say in what we can and can't do across the board. We've given up too much of our freedom already and I hate to see more of it being gone. I understand that people have different reactions to this then I do, deal with it differently and feel the need to express themselves in ways I see as unnecessary. However, I do believe in the golden rule. I treat everyone with respect until their actions or words deem otherwise. Regan said it best, "trust but verify."

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top