JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I am thinking about getting a M1. I am not understanding the website.

<broken link removed>

What is the differences between these rifles? More specifically what is the stuff in bold red mean, and where can I find the meaning?

RM1WRAS M1 Garand, WRA Service Grade
Please allow 60 days for delivery
*See below for grade description
SOLD OUT - not accepting orders - 2-25-10

RM1SAS M1 Garand, SA Service Grade
$595

RM1HRAS M1 Garand, HRA Service Grade
$595

CMP GARAND GRADING CRITERIA

RACK GRADE: (Fair)
Rack Grade Rifles. Most of these rifles have been refinished or rebuilt at least once while in military service and will likely have some parts from other manufacturers. Rifle wear will be exhibited by worn and mixed colors of the finish; there may be some minor pitting on the metal parts; wood will be basically sound but may be well used with minor hairline cracks, poor fit, and many dings, scratches and gouges; wood may not match in color, type of wood or condition. These rifles may have some foreign parts and wood may be Walnut, Birch, Beech or other variety. Rifles do not have import marks. Bores will be generally good with only minor imperfections; the barrel crown may be nicked, and the muzzle may gauge more than "3" on muzzle gauge. The Throat Erosion will gauge more than "5"The overall appearance and condition of the rack grade will generally be rougher than any other grade. Fair condition.

Manufacturer selection only guarantees the receiver was produced by the manufacturer listed. The barrel and the other parts may have been produced by other manufacturers.

FIELD GRADE: (Fair to Good)
Field Grade Rifles. Most of these rifles have been refinished or rebuilt at least once while in military service and will likely have some parts from other manufacturers. Fair to good condition. Rifle wear will be exhibited by worn and mixed colors of the finish; there may be some minor pitting on the metal parts; wood will be basically sound but may be well used with minor hairline cracks, and many dings, scratches and gouges; wood may not match in color, type of wood or condition. These rifles may have some foreign parts and wood may be Walnut, Birch, Beech or other variety. Rifles do not have import marks. Bores will be generally good with only minor imperfections; the barrel crown may be nicked, and the muzzle may gauge more than "3" on muzzle gauge. The Throat Erosion will gauge less than 5 &#8211; well within US Army standards. Do not expect rifles in mint condition in this grade.

Manufacturer selection only guarantees the receiver was produced by the manufacturer listed. The barrel and the other parts may have been produced by other manufacturers.

SERVICE GRADE: (Good to Very Good)
Service Grade Rifles show less wear and better appearance than Field or Rack Grades. Good to very good condition. Rifle wear will be exhibited by worn and mixed colors of the parkerized finish. There may be some minor pitting on the metal parts. Wood will be either Walnut, Birch, Beech or other variety and will be basically sound but may have minor hairline cracks, dings, scratches and gouges. Wood may not match in color or type of wood. Wood may be of new production on Service Grade Garands. Bores will be generally good with only minor imperfections. The barrel crown may be nicked, but the muzzle will gauge less than 3 and the throat erosion will gauge less than 5.

CORRECT GRADE: (Very Good to Excellent)
Correct Grade Rifles are similar to the Service Grade (above), but will show less wear and use. Correct Grade rifles will have all correct parts for the date of manufacture with 80&#37; or better overall original metal finish. The stock and handguards will be of walnut and correct for the rifle but will have some dings, dents, scratches and marring of the wood finish. Stocks will have the appropriate original inspector's cartouche. The rifle bore will be very good with no significant defects and with a throat erosion of less than 4 and a muzzle wear of 2 or less. Very good to excellent condition. Limited quantities are occasionally available. Prices start at $950.

COLLECTOR GRADE: (Excellent)
Collector Grade Rifles have 95% or better overall original metal finish. Rifle bores are excellent with throat erosion under 3 and muzzle wear of 2 or less. Collector Grade rifles have all original parts as they came from the manufacturer. Wood will have a few handling marks and minor dings and scratches. Stocks have the appropriate inspector's cartouche. Data sheets prepared by CMP armorers are included in the butt trap of each Collector Grade Rifle. Excellent condition - little or no use. Limited quantities are occasionally available. Prices start at $1400.

CMP SPECIAL: (Excellent)
CMP's new grade of M1 Garand. This rifle consists of a new production stock and handguard set with CMP cartouche, a new production barrel and new web sling. Receiver and most other parts are refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture. See item for details.

Thanks
Joe

CMP rifles have been around for decades. All the good ones are pretty much gone. They were about 30 bucks each in the 70's. The best you can hope for is a good barrel and get yourself some after market furniture.

Order one up and don't look back. It'll be the beginning of a great new addiction. As for which one to get, it's a toss-up. I have a Service Grade SA and the metal parts were in very good shape, the wood must have been bad because it came with a new CMP stock. I also have two carbines from the CMP, both Service Grade. One has a Beech "potbelly" stock, the other an original Walnut. With a little bit of cleaning and refinishing they both look great. The CMP also has the best deals on ammo. BTW - you can make special requests by putting a sticky note on your order (no guarantee, but I requested a WW2 serial number and got one).

Good shooting, Jim

By all means order one. I just got my first; a Service Grade (good to very good) Springfield M1 Garand manufactured in 1965 based on serial number and am very pleased with it. Paid $595 and got it within a month of order. It takes a bit of work to get the required paperwork together, including needing to get signature notarized, but is worth it. The metal is indeed in good to very good condition. Stock is walnut, and shows the years of storage and use. I'm still working to get years of oil out of it, but see no need to replace with the available new wood. The marks add character, and when I'm done it will be a good-looking piece of history, that I plan to shoot on a regular basis. After carefully reading the condition descriptions several times and consulting a couple of friends knowledgeable about M1's, I decided that Service Grade was as low as I wanted to go to have a reliable and accurate shooter. There are better grades available for more money, but the wait can be long. I'm glad that the CMP is there to make these guns available to us.:)

Like the others have said, order one!!!

I have tons of guns in my inventory, but my CMP Garand is probably my most prized out of all of them.

You are buying a GREAT service rifle (probably actually saw combat) and a piece of American History.

You actually never OWN a CMP Garand...........You are just taking care of it for the next generation.

got it, is one better than another?

No. Winchesters are more rare (but not necessarily "better"), and the HRA ones are post-WWII. Springfield Armory Garands are the most plentiful.

There's a few requirements before you can purchase from the CMP, all of which can be met fairly easily.

I had received one that had been arsenal rebuilt in 1956 and then packed away. It was basically perfect and they called it a service grade. I sold it to my buddy as my shoulder lost interest in it but I would say it is worth going through the process to get one.

I'm not so sure 'all the good ones are gone'. Far from it. I received a very impressive example a little over a year ago. Service Grade 1943 Springfield with a CMP-cartouched stock. The only wear on the finish is where the bayo slides on and off.

Note: As said above, I've also heard that if this is your first rifle ordered from them (even better yet if its your first Garand ever ), you can request a WWII rifle and you most likely will get one. It worked for me :) .

Also, save your paperwork. CMP-documented rifles are easier to sell, and usually command more money.

Keith

Im in the .mil, so that pretty much satisfies everything. Plus we have a notary at the unit! I am going to put in for one at the end of the month when some cash flow comes my way.

Dang. I had to sell my 100&#37; refurbished SA in the 1990s to pay for vet bills, and I miss it. I still have 2,500 rds of black tip in the clips, stowed away. I may have to jump on these unissued Garands! What grade would they be?

Most or all of the ones they are currently selling are Greek, although the CMP has become more closed-mouthed about where the guns they are selling at any given time are from. They list them by grade, not origin.

Thanks..If I buy it will be a high quality shooter.. the re-built "specials" with new barrels and stocks are beckoning me..

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top