JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ad Type
  1. For Sale
Price
$1485
Manufacturer
Springfield Armory
Caliber
Other / Not Listed
City
Tigard
State
Oregon
Zip Code
I have the discharge papers for the Union soldier who carried this in the war. They will come with it. I'm told these were converted to percussion caps in the 1850's by the US army.
Working gun. Person who I got it from shot it several times, working his way up to a full charge for the last couple shots about 30 years ago. Includes the .69 balls, percussion caps, powder horn and bayonet shown. The bayonet is a battlefield find that is in much worse shape than the musket, but it is intact and attaches to the gun OK. Makes a pretty fearsome wall hanging since they are over 6' long combined.

sprg.jpg sprg2.jpg sprg3.jpg sprg5.jpg sprg6.jpg sprg19.jpg sprg23.jpg sprng1a.jpg

1. I agree to the classified rules and terms of service
Another member here forwarded this information to me, it confirms the data on the Muster Out papers and adds more detail:
The name on this stone is clearly "S. F. Hower" and the regiment appears to be 191st Pennsylvania Infantry. In the records, the closest match comes up as "Sebaltes F. Hower" but the given name is also found as Sylvester as well as variations on Sebaltes such as Sebaldis, Sebaldus, and Sebaltis. The surname could also be Hoover. One possible enlistment could be in the 35th Pennsylvania Infantry (6th Pennsylvania Reserves), Compoan A, as a Private, from July 1861 through June 1864. This enrollment was in Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania, with mustering in at Washington, D.C. The 191st Pennsylvania Infantry service was in Company F, as a Private, from 8 July 1861, with a notation that he was absent at muster out. It is possible that two different men are confused here – but is that likely with such an unusual name? Two women are found in the records as possible wives: Mary E. Hower and Harriet Hower.

sprggrave.jpeg

Members are allowed to ask whatever they want for items posted in the classified sections. If you don't like the price of an item, simply move on. Posting negative comments will result in the revocation of your classified privileges.