JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
he City of Chicago has some of the most restrictive gun control laws in the nation. Up until a few months ago, it was illegal for a private citizen to own or possess a handgun anywhere within the city, including in one's own home. For 2010, Chicago also holds another distinction. More Chicago Police Officers were killed by gunfire this year than any other police agency in the nation. The city also boasts one of the highest violent crime rates in the country, with 1 in 89 residents being victims of violent crime last year.

According to the Officer Down Memorial Page, Inc., the City of Chicago had five police officers killed in the line of duty this year. Four of those were killed by gunfire. This, despite the fact that until June of this year, Chicago did not allow the licensing of handguns. In order to lawfully possess a handgun in Chicago, a citizen was required to have a license. In effect, the Chicago law banned having any type of handgun.

In June, the Supreme Court ruled Chicago's ban violated its citizens' Second Amendment Rights. Long-time Chicago Mayor, Richard Daley, and the Chicago City Council, then reworked the city's laws, making it possible, but extremely expensive and difficult, to obtain a handgun license, clinging desperately to the hope that strict gun control laws would decrease crime in their city. When asked by Mick Dumke, of the Chicago Reader, if the city's firearms restrictions had helped, given the city's high rate of violent crime, Daley picked up a rifle from a news conference display and responded, "If I put this up your—ha!—your butt—ha ha!—you’ll find out how effective this is!"

In this case, it would appear more restrictions on firearms do not equal a safer community.

here ----------------- City with strictest gun control laws has most officers killed by gunfire | Greeley Gazette

And people vote for him?

I'll be holding my breath for this to be broadcast on MSNBC.......not!!

I have felt for many years that if just 10% of the population was properly trained and and always carried their sidearm the society would be a safer place. I think most criminals are cowards who would not attempt to take on anyone in an even match. I offer up the fact that 99% of the gang shootings are "spray and pray" type of engagements.

I offer up the fact that 99% of the gang shootings are "spray and pray" type of engagements.

Incorrect. Gang members employ the point-shoot method of aiming which is great for high speed close quarters combat. In addition, they cant their guns sideways so as to take advantage of the recoil and use it to aid them in transitioning from target to target. They also use the tactical bunny hop method of gunfighting. Because their pants are tactically placed around their knees to confuse their enemies, traditional movement styles (walking, running) are impossible.

Incorrect. Gang members employ the point-shoot method of aiming which is great for high speed close quarters combat. In addition, they cant their guns sideways so as to take advantage of the recoil and use it to aid them in transitioning from target to target. They also use the tactical bunny hop method of gunfighting. Because their pants are tactically placed around their knees to confuse their enemies, traditional movement styles (walking, running) are impossible.

:D I stand, (with pants lowered to the tactically correct level) corrected. I will assume then that you can only fire right to left if you are right handed and left to right if you are left handed, based on the recoil to next target technique....they must be tactical wizards!!!

With that in mind, I will make sure, when in the hood, I am the furthest to the left of the group I am with. There is slight chance however, I may encounter a leftest gang member, which case, maybe a more center position would in fact be better.

So what you are saying here is that this safe community has some upstanding citizens that have ignored the law and carry guns anyway. Who would've thunk. Some one should tell the Brady Bunch.

Corollation is not the same thing as causation.

Cities with large zoos have a disproportionate number of prostitutes.

See what I mean?

Ok, is the corrollation positive or negative? Plus what is the causation within the city? And stats go by per capita so it makes every city even in stats.

Corollation is not the same thing as causation.

Cities with large zoos have a disproportionate number of prostitutes.

See what I mean?

No actually I don't. :s0112::s0114::s0112:

The Chicago police are one of the groups that are stating the correlation between gun ownership and gun violence, do we just get to dismiss that now? :huh:

It's easier to show the CPDs claims that more guns means more crime is false, than it is to prove our general claim that more guns means less crime is true.

I'm of the opinion that if "more guns = more crime" is false, then "more guns = less crime" must be true. I don't think you will find a single person who will say that guns have no correlation with crime. Guns are used to commit crime, deter crime, and stop crime, so there is a definite correlation. I think that means "more guns/less guns = no relevance in crime" can't be true.

In this regard, in proving "more guns = more crime" is false, we have proven "more guns = less crime" is true. If you can prove the former, then the latter must be accepted.

Then again, that just seems to be the logical conclusion. Sadly, anti-gunners tend to lack any logical reasoning in regards to firearms.

I grew up in Chicago-left in 1993. I remember vividly during summer nights the gunfire in the distance nearly nightly when the window were open. Ocassionally I heard full-auto fire (Mac 11's I guess-super high rate of fire). One year there were over 900 murders in that city. I lived in a good neighborhood (kinda) and felt compelled to carry (illegally) a little 25 cal to high school (not in good neighborhood). If I could procure a brand-new in the box 25cal at 16, obviously the 'law' wasn't working as intended. Furthermore, we couldn't park in front of our OWN HOUSE without getting a ticket (we lived on a normal sidestreet, not in a busy area) because there was a commuter train stop 3 blocks away, and they had to keep us safe from people parking in our hood. They rules in that town are just unreal
It is all political pandering. Look at how prohibition affected that city.
Intelligent politicians keeping their base happy & ignorant.

I'm of the opinion that if "more guns = more crime" is false, then "more guns = less crime" must be true. I don't think you will find a single person who will say that guns have no correlation with crime. Guns are used to commit crime, deter crime, and stop crime, so there is a definite correlation. I think that means "more guns/less guns = no relevance in crime" can't be true.

We'd be in much better shape if the bolded part were the case, instead of everyone assuming the proven false side of things.

But truth be told there's a lot that appears to impact crime rates outside of guns; poverty, government corruption, respect for the law, abortion rates in the past, and probably some others that I can't think of for the moment.

In this regard, in proving "more guns = more crime" is false, we have proven "more guns = less crime" is true. If you can prove the former, then the latter must be accepted.

Then again, that just seems to be the logical conclusion. Sadly, anti-gunners tend to lack any logical reasoning in regards to firearms.

You also have the condition that the number of guns doesn't have an appreciable impact on the amount of crime either way.

Though you have a point with regards to how "more guns == more crime" is blindly accepted despite contradictory evidence, but "more guns == less crime" requires full blown statistical analysis (ie. John Lott) and is still disregarded afterwards.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top