JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
How or why , does turning in your firearm...a firearm , which you have never used to harm anyone or commit a crime with... Prevent crime ?
If you are not committing crimes or harming others...you ain't the problem here.
Precisely. It serves no end.
Gun buybacks are just gun confiscations with a paper bag over its head.
☝️This.

These buybacks as well don't necessarily mean your "warm and fuzzy" of removing a firearm from the U.S. is actually valid either. From my understanding from a LE friend, you also are giving them the right to retain firearms for "training purposes". At some point, some of which may be offered for resale to the public as "LE surplus".

Chew on that for awhile..... ;)

How does a firearm not having been used in the past prevent it from being used in the present or future?

Every gun that has been used in a crime was once a gun that had not been used in a crime.

I think there is a logical fallacy in there, but I forget what it is called.

Not my point and ...
Not a fallacy...since I am not just talking about a firearm.

I am saying that:

If you...a person , who has not harmed anyone or committed any crimes with your firearms...
Decide to turn them in to a so called "buy back"....

How does that prevent a criminal , someone other than you , from committing crimes...?

If that don't make sense to you or fall into your understanding...then I can't make myself more clear.
No need to reply to me , if that is the case.
Andy

My point in my OP is this :

How or why , does turning in your firearm...a firearm , which you have never used to harm anyone or commit a crime with...
Prevent crime ?
If you are not committing crimes or harming others...you ain't the problem here.

Andy
It doesn't.

One has to be fairly naive to presume that the result of these firearm 'buybacks' will have any noticeable effect on crime.

It's a knee-jerk reactive response for gun-grabbers to feel like they're "doing something" by taking firearms that are likely already out of circulation, out of circulation.

By most estimates, there are roughly 1.2 firearms for every person in the U.S. in private hands. For a metro population of around 7 million, one could reasonably calculate that there are around 8.5 million privately-owned firearms in the Houston area alone. 845 mostly old and beat-up firearms being turned in is 1/10,000 of the total number.

It's akin to the virtue signaler that takes a chop saw to their AR receiver and posts the video online pining for praise and admiration. The guy might as well have taken a stack of $100s and lit them on fire. The manufacturer of that firearm already got paid for it, and there are new ones coming off of the assembly line everyday.

The whole 'buy back' thing, is akin to the "Cash for Clunkers" program -- Of which the real effect was merely a boon for the auto-industry/dealerships, and a tremendous waste of tax-payer funds.

Soooo.....

Lets say that you have a firearm.
You have never harmed anyone with it...or broken any laws.

Please explain to me how , turning in your firearm is going to do anything to:
Stop crime from happening ...
Prevent the criminal from committing more crimes...
Keep firearms out of the hands of those who would commit crimes or harm others...?

Its your firearm...if you wish to turn it in at a so called "Buy Back"*...
Then go right on ahead.
But don't try and sell me on the notion that doing so , would do any damn thing to keep crime from happening.

Andy
*"Buy Back"...How can someone buy back a firearm they never purchased in the first place...?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

There you go again….. ruining everything by ACTUALLY thinking!

:s0118:

It's a knee-jerk reactive response for gun-grabbers to feel like they're "doing something" by taking firearms that are likely already out of circulation, out of circulation.
Exactly. Buy backs are wasteful, ineffective and utterly stupid. But wasteful, ineffective, and stupid doesn't seem to register against the raw emotionalism that appears to drive so much of our society's decisions. So, here we are, yet again, talking about one.

Exactly. Buy backs are wasteful, ineffective and utterly stupid. But wasteful, ineffective, and stupid doesn't seem to register against the raw emotionalism that appears to drive so much of our society's decisions. So, here we are, yet again, talking about one.
Absolutely agreed.

We've rehashed the same sentiments time and again with this topic on here.

I posted the vid/article link more to show admiration for the enterprising entrepreneurs looking to take advantage of the situation by 3D printing a bunch of cheap-to-manufacture so-called 'ghost guns' and turning a healthy profit. "You want more 'ghost guns' to take off the streets?" "Here, let me go print up another pile, and I'll get back to you."

Also, the guys walking the line with the signs: "We'll pay more. Watcha got?".

It's like a gun show w/out having to pay the entry fee, or having to navigate the beef jerky aisles, or the guys that are there to primarily show off their collections.

Of course, TX doesn't have a version of SB941 on their books.

Who's in the red shirts…. Bunch of soup sandwich looking fellas…..
1_NEVWE956OQKIWbWhmPjWjQ.png

Well yes...

I prefer properly functioning firearms over 'wall-hangers'... That's not to state that 'wall-hangers' may not have their place -- IE. For sentimental or historical value.

I still keep some of my old man's tools around for the same reason.

The point I'm trying to make is that there seems to be this thinking among some that discarding any firearm at all is some sort of sacrilege, even if it is a non-functioning POS.

If I'm to collect something, I generally prefer nicer specimens that actually work as designed.
I'm not one to collect garbage, but if I had a few worthless old rusted Jimenez or Lorcin .25s laying around that I could trade in; to then recirculate that money back into the firearm industry by buying something new...

No tears lost if those aforementioned firearms get tossed into the scrap heap.
If it makes the virtue-signaling gun grabbers feel warm and fuzzy, that's merely a side-effect. Let them believe that it's their money well spent.
I had one that had been through a fire. Wood was scorched and burned away, barrel was corroded, no finish on the exterior metal, lightly rust pitted all over. An "expert" told me I might get $100 for it as a parts gun. It would have been a "buy back" candidate. Today it's fully restored. Times change. Circumstances change.

I think we need a better system to vet these firearms to predict which ones are more likely to commit a crime.o_O I opened my safe last week and talked to all of mine, sort of like a group therapy session. None had any violent thoughts or tendencies and seem well adjusted so I am not concerned. I will however keep my eye on one particular lever 30-30 as I think he figured out how to pick the safe lock from the inside. I found him lounging around outside the safe in a gun rack over my loading bench.:cool:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top