JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Soooo.....

Lets say that you have a firearm.
You have never harmed anyone with it...or broken any laws.

Please explain to me how , turning in your firearm is going to do anything to:
Stop crime from happening ...
Prevent the criminal from committing more crimes...
Keep firearms out of the hands of those who would commit crimes or harm others...?

Its your firearm...if you wish to turn it in at a so called "Buy Back"*...
Then go right on ahead.
But don't try and sell me on the notion that doing so , would do any damn thing to keep crime from happening.

Andy
*"Buy Back"...How can someone buy back a firearm they never purchased in the first place...?

Keep firearms out of the hands of those who would commit crimes or harm others...?
Come on my friend, you and I both know those aren't the reasons they want your firearms! :D

Come on my friend, you and I both know those aren't the reasons they want your firearms! :D
True...

I was thinking more of the fella who had that 50 odd year .22 that has been laying around and turned it in.
If you ain't committed a crime with it , in 50 odd years....or however long its been "laying around"...
I kinda doubt that you are some sort of criminal mastermind... :D

Andy

Soooo.....

Then go right on ahead.
But don't try and sell me on the notion that doing so , would do any damn thing to keep crime from happening.

Andy
*"Buy Back"...How can someone buy back a firearm they never purchased in the first place...?
As an educator, you should know this "it's for the children".

Don't you just love their play on words?!:mad:
"Pat , I would like to solve the puzzle......NO"....:D
Andy

Game Show Tap GIF by ABC Network

Soooo.....

Then go right on ahead.

Andy
Of course you're preaching to the choir here on NWF.

Sure a hobbyist/enthusiast could take the time to restore some of these if they're worth restoring, but most of these firearms collecting rust in a closet somewhere are pretty much trash.

I see firearms as tools. If I have a rusted out wheelbarrow worth practically nothing, and I can trade it in for something (IE. a $100-$200 gift card), you bet, I'd be right on that.

I would presume that the majority of these firearms being turned in, don't have much value at all, and that not many are turning in anything worth some actual money. For the ones that are, there are the guys walking the line(in the video in the linked article); offering to pay more.;)

The real gem here is the guy that 3D printed a bunch of so-called 'ghost guns'(single-shot .22lr) at a few dollars a piece in materials to be turned in for a nice little profit.

If I were an enterprising person, I would hit a circuit of gun 'buy backs' and do the same thing. Papa needs a brand new Nighthawk.

Just thinking out loud, I have a little extra cash and I'm sure others here have a little extra also.
So why not have our own "buy back"?
You know for the children.
If we only could save one life!
BB guns, 3D printed, and junk need not apply.

Of course you're preaching to the choir here on NWF.

I see firearms as tools. If I have a rusted out wheelbarrow worth practically nothing, and I can trade it in for something (IE. a $100-$200 gift card), you bet, I'd be right on that.
I've never been ordained... :D

Firearms are more than tools to me....However...I also know that :
Not everyone thinks like me...or has to either....:)
Andy

If I chose to participate in one of these "Buy-Backs". Their going to have to really BUY it back. Take my Kimber, basic, Stainless II for instance. They'll pay me a minimum of the $909.00 that I paid for it 11 years ago! That's a Buy-Back!

I've never been ordained... :D

Firearms are more than tools to me....However...I also know that :
Not everyone thinks like me...or has to either....:)
Andy
Well yes...

I prefer properly functioning firearms over 'wall-hangers'... That's not to state that 'wall-hangers' may not have their place -- IE. For sentimental or historical value.

I still keep some of my old man's tools around for the same reason.

The point I'm trying to make is that there seems to be this thinking among some that discarding any firearm at all is some sort of sacrilege, even if it is a non-functioning POS.

If I'm to collect something, I generally prefer nicer specimens that actually work as designed.
I'm not one to collect garbage, but if I had a few worthless old rusted Jimenez or Lorcin .25s laying around that I could trade in; to then recirculate that money back into the firearm industry by buying something new...

No tears lost if those aforementioned firearms get tossed into the scrap heap.
If it makes the virtue-signaling gun grabbers feel warm and fuzzy, that's merely a side-effect. Let them believe that it's their money well spent.

Well yes...

I prefer properly functioning firearms over 'wall-hangers'... That's not to state that 'wall-hangers' may not have their place -- IE. For sentimental or historical value.

I still keep some of my old man's tools around for the same reason.

The point I'm trying to make is that there seems to be this thinking among some that discarding any firearm at all is some sort of sacrilege, even if it is a non-functioning POS.

If I'm to collect something, I generally prefer nicer specimens that actually work as designed.
I'm not one to collect garbage, but if I had a few worthless old rusted Jimenez or Lorcin .25s laying around that I could trade in; to then recirculate that money back into the firearm industry by buying something new...

No tears lost if those aforementioned firearms get tossed into the scrap heap.
If it makes the virtue-signaling gun grabbers feel warm and fuzzy, that's merely a side-effect. Let them believe that it's their money well spent.
All of that is true for you.
But maybe not for others.

However.....and far more importantly....

None of that is at all the point of my original post.
( Which you quoted )

My point in my OP is this :

How or why , does turning in your firearm...a firearm , which you have never used to harm anyone or commit a crime with...
Prevent crime ?
If you are not committing crimes or harming others...you ain't the problem here.

Andy

None of my firearms, to the best of my knowledge, were ever owned by the municipal government of Houston. Ergo, they can't buy back which was never theirs to begin with. That was easy. :p

My point in my OP is this :

How or why , does turning in your firearm...a firearm , which you have never used to harm anyone or commit a crime with...
Prevent crime ?
If you are not committing crimes or harming others...you ain't the problem here.

Andy
How does a firearm not having been used in the past prevent it from being used in the present or future?

Every gun that has been used in a crime was once a gun that had not been used in a crime.

I think there is a logical fallacy in there, but I forget what it is called.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top