JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I don't think I like this. I like that Alan is working to remove the existing pistol registry but I don't like the universal background checks. It would be way to easy after it was in place to introduce full registration because universal background checks are completely unenforceable on their own what is everyones thoughts?

<broken link removed>

Not a fan of required background checks - even with a promise to remove the registry. Sounds like they didn't have the votes to get the bill through without a deal so why help them pass it? Are they going to provide a website or phone line that anyone can call into to get the background clearance free of charge or is it a matter of having to pay an FFL to transfer it which would necessitate them to collect taxes on the transaction...
I hope the bill fails as I really don't feel like letting the state tax people twice on the same gun....

Not only NO but HELL NO. Why do our "pro-gun" groups keep throwing gun owners under the bus?

Lets just use a little thinking here. Which one of these recent (last couple years) big story events would "universal background checks" have stopped.............. Which one of the 20,000 laws on the books stopped these events........... How many laws were broken in these events................ yeah, just what we need, more gun laws :s0154:

I don't think I like this. I like that Alan is working to remove the existing pistol registry but I don't like the universal background checks. It would be way to easy after it was in place to introduce full registration because universal background checks are completely unenforceable on their own what is everyones thoughts?

<broken link removed>

Don't be fooled the removal of the pistol registry is still in place via the universal background checks. Its not a compromise its a net & gross gain 'against' every firearm 'legally' sold in the state.

Universal background checks & any background check in general is a de facto registration. Just as a government enforced 'Fee' is in fact a tax.

Are they going to give WA back machine guns, short barreled rifles, short barreled shotguns and other destructive devices in exchange? That's a compromise... they give up something and we give up something. They get something, we get something.

Citizens Committee for the RKBA seems to just be giving in or giving up.

IMHO we should not give an inch. That house search bill shows too much of what they really want for us to give up anything.

Yup I didn't think anyone would like this. We need to all write them and tell them to stop working deals also call your reps.

The interesting thing to me is they want to strengthen background checks to find mentally ill purchasers. However, there ISN'T a mechanism to do that!
Mental health records are protected by the Federal HIPAA law just like other medical records. Unless the person has been designated by the court as mentally defective, then there's no way to tell if someone's lying on the form. HOW do you find those people? Don't tell me you're going to check if there's NOT a way to do it.

I just sent ccrkba a e-mail and told them to take me off their mailing list, that I wouldn't be sending them any more money....If in fact they are in support of the "universal background check"....In any shape or form.

I agree with all of you that any sort of private transaction universal background check, regardless of exceptions that may be included, is in reality a slippery slope toward registration. Interestingly I wrote words to this effect &#8211; maybe stated a little more harshly &#8211; to my 5th District Democratic Senator, Mark Mullet. The reply I received was surprisingly positive and I posted it in the other HB 1588 entry. He offered the Senate bill excludes gifting and inheritance of guns to Family members. There is also an in-work effort to remove the sales of firearms between Family members from the bill. He acknowledged that the language regarding swapping firearms between friends (my friends and I do this a a lot) needs to be cleared up so it is not burdened with a check being required. Last he said the bill has been amended to remove the requirement for a transaction between CPL holders to have a background check.
I am still opposed to any background check because there has been no documentation of this having been a problem. Why fix something that hasn't shown it's really broke. I don't trust the legislature once they pass even what was discussed here, with the changes mentioned, that they then wouldn't try to expand it. After the Kline and Murray debacle yesterday we have clarification on the agenda of the Democrats in this State. That's about all that needs to be said for quite a while.

There's a method to madness...

Firestorm erupts over story about Gottlieb and background checks

Tempers went ballistic in the firearms community Wednesday morning when the Seattle Times reported that gun rights advocate Alan Gottlieb was negotiating with state lawmakers on so-called "universal background checks."

<broken link removed>

There's a method to madness...

Firestorm erupts over story about Gottlieb and background checks

Tempers went ballistic in the firearms community Wednesday morning when the Seattle Times reported that gun rights advocate Alan Gottlieb was negotiating with state lawmakers on so-called "universal background checks."

<broken link removed>

Losing a right like private transfers for every washington resident not having to use a ffl, is not worth any fake gain. Such as having to jump through hoops & joining that gun show group or obtaining a cwp. Thats garbage and you already lost when you think you gotta jump through those hoops. Nobody is buying that insanity and this guy is a sell out, traitor.

There's thousands of people from Washington that are eligible for a stupid permission slip to carry concealed & pass a mother may I background check to be a member of that gun show group but know better than to sell out their privacy in either case. They live their life how they want & are not sell out 'moderates' that try to strike deals with commie pinko anti gun people.

Losing a right like private transfers for every washington resident not having to use a ffl, is not worth any fake gain. Such as having to jump through hoops & joining that gun show group or obtaining a cwp. Thats garbage and you already lost when you think you gotta jump through those hoops. Nobody is buying that insanity and this guy is a sell out, traitor.

There's thousands of people from Washington that are eligible for a stupid permission slip to carry concealed & pass a mother may I background check to be a member of that gun show group but know better than to sell out their privacy in either case. They live their life how they want & are not sell out 'moderates' that try to strike deals with commie pinko anti gun people.

Well, you may get it whether you like it or not, and Gottlieb would have nothing to do with it or have any influence over it...

Washington venture capitalist funds new anti-gun violence coalition | KPLU News for Seattle and the Northwest

OLYMPIA, Wash. &#8211; Gun control advocates in Washington are banding together to turn up the heat on state lawmakers. In the coming days, they plan to announce the formation of a new grassroots lobbying coalition. Their first target is passage of universal background check legislation.

The Washington Alliance for Gun Responsibility has seed money from Seattle venture capitalist Nick Hanauer. Other founders are Seattle city councilwoman Sally Bagshaw, former council member Tina Podlodowski and Seattle writer and activist Eric Liu.

The group has hired a lobbyist and a campaign manager. Democratic strategist Christian Sinderman is also on board. He says initially the top priority will be to pressure lawmaker to require that all gun sales are subject to a background check -- not just those at dealers....

^^

"The universal background checks bill seems to be the vehicle that's getting the most attention and has the most support so far," Sinderman says "And so we're working on that so far because that's the bill that's moving. Looking longer term we'll have other targets."

ugghhhhh

Ok time to turn up the heat. Gotta start calling my reps daily again, I've been focusing my attention to the national fight since things slowed down here uuhg just can't win

And, so what you are saying is that having a hand in a compromise, which does nothing to very little on behalf of gun owners, and in defense of the Second Amendment is better?

Mr. Workman, as the Communications Director for the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, ...
What say you, Mr. Workman?

Some clarification as to just what Mr. Gottlieb is up to would be well appreciated.

Thank you

You are reading what you want to read and understanding it perhaps with blinders.

There's trouble brewing with big money behind it and right now, the gun community has the upper hand in being able to have a major influence on how this gun bill is written. And folks, this gun bill is going to be written and voted on, whether we like it or not.

Am I to presume that you would rather not talk to lawmakers, tell our side of the issue and just let a pack of Seattle anti-gunners buy the adoption of THEIR agenda? If you play isolationist, you play right into the hands of these people. They WANT you to take your ball and go home, and they LOVE it when you browbeat your own and fight amongst yourselves because it makes it far easier to pass their agenda when it looks like gun owners are a bunch of battling siblings.

As for Gottlieb's approach "doing nothing or very little on behalf of gun owners, that's a crock.

Gottlieb's conditions are significant:

Abolish the state pistol registry. Gone. Done. (Sure, the tinfoil hat crowd will claim that it's all kept on a secret microchip somewhere.)

EXEMPTION for State CPL holders
EXEMPTION for transfers/transactions between family members (father to son, wife to hubby, brother to brother or sister, grandpa to grandson/granddaughter...)
EXEMPTION on transactions between members of gun show organizations that ALREADY do background checks on their members

NO RECORD KEEPING on the background checks for private sales.

You want to know why these people launched this campaign now? Because they are freaked that these proposals might actually become part of the law.

Now, I personally don't care for background checks. Never have. I'm on record with that, said it in interviews.

But the cold, hard, bite you on the butt fact is that the overwhelming majority of people, including a lot of gun owners, favor some kind of check.

Now, you can either help steer the locomotive onto a side track, or you can get hit by it.

If you have a plan to make this all go away, by all means share it. Point by point.

And the answer cannot be "We stop talking to lawmakers." That doesn't work.

What's happening right now is explained and analyzed below, best as I can with what I know at the moment.

Seattle anti-gunners announce big $$ campaign to push agenda

Seattle-based anti-gunners, calling themselves the Washington Alliance for Gun Responsibility (WAGR), have announced plans for a big-money campaign to push their agenda, first with lawmakers in Olympia and then possibly with an initiative campaign, the Seattle Times and KPLU reported.

<broken link removed>

And folks, this gun bill is going to be written and voted on, whether we like it or not.

Gottlieb's conditions are significant:

Abolish the state pistol registry. Gone. Done. (Sure, the tinfoil hat crowd will claim that it's all kept on a secret microchip somewhere.)

EXEMPTION for State CPL holders
EXEMPTION for transfers/transactions between family members (father to son, wife to hubby, brother to brother or sister, grandpa to grandson/granddaughter...)
EXEMPTION on transactions between members of gun show organizations that ALREADY do background checks on their members

NO RECORD KEEPING on the background checks for private sales.

Seattle anti-gunners announce big $$ campaign to push agenda

Seattle-based anti-gunners, calling themselves the Washington Alliance for Gun Responsibility (WAGR), have announced plans for a big-money campaign to push their agenda, first with lawmakers in Olympia and then possibly with an initiative campaign, the Seattle Times and KPLU reported.

<broken link removed>

IF this bill is going to be rammed down our throats SAF's conditions are very significant and they do minimize the effect the bill would have on our day to day lives. Espicially if you have a CPL which we all know is retarded easy to get in this state.

I would really like to see the " white form " gone. I have filled out 2 since I have been a resident and I didn't like doing it either time.

I'm pretty new to Washington Politics. I'm beginning to absolutely hate Seattle. Clark County Washington is not Seattle. I'm so tired of " progressives " trying to tell me and mine how to live. My local reps are on our side, or so they tell me.

What is the possibility we are going to get this bill ? I know alot of us have been raising absolute hell over it, some daily.

Though I appreciate the full time efforts you all are putting forth, based on my personal experience of having been a Kalifornia resident, and gun owner for the first 37 years of my life, I will remain in the "no compromise" column.

I absolutely agree. I lived it as well. Compromise in my experience was a losing strategy for freedom in the golden state. PERIOD

I'm not convinced this would pass a vote, I could be ENTIRELY wrong.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top