JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Citizen Assaulted for Filming Governor John Kitzhaber Event!

Dittos Rush!: Citizen Assaulted for Filming Governor John Kitzhaber Event!

On September 23, 2010 this videographer filmed a public "Meet and Greet" and speech by ex-Governor John Kitzhaber at the Emmanuel Temple Church in Portland, Oregon. Approximately 10 minutes into the speech the moderator informs the public not to film (at this public event). This videographer continues to film as allowed by his first amendment right. He is then assaulted as is clearly seen on this video.

I would contest the statement that the assaulted has any 1st amendment rights on private property.

Don't get me wrong I'm no Kitzhaber fan, I still remember him taking the fee for closing the Trojan nuclear plant that was PGE's responsibility and Kitzhaber passing legislation to transfer the costs from PGE to the Oregon tax payer to the tune of 500 million dollars.

The person punching the camera into the cameraman's face should be charges with assault though, that much is clear. The proper way to have handled this would have been to ask the cameraman to leave after he refused to stop filming. I also see a situation where had the colors been reversed and the candidate been GOP there would have been screams of racism nationwide on every leftist pundit media outlet for weeks on end.

who cares. stop filming.

why do people insist on doing things like this. It's my first amendment right to scream "i like radishes" but eventually it gets annoying and then its disturbing the peace. but I get it. It is annoying. This guy is annoying and quite frankly I wanted to punch him in the face. Lone crusaders trying to stand up to the man to film some silly speech. Save all the anger for when they show up at your door step asking for all of your weapons.

it aint worth it -pick your battles....this one was silly, stupid and pointless.

I personally like to scream "Theater" at a crowded fire!

EasterFireNetherlands.jpg

Lone crusaders trying to stand up to the man to film some silly speech. Save all the anger for when they show up at your door step asking for all of your weapons.

Some would argue that it is those of us who do not act out earlier that will allow them to come knocking for your weapons.

Personally, I think if a "politician" is giving a political speech then it is pretty scary if they won't allow it to be filmed. That presents a "red flag" to me. Seems like he has something to hide.

I'm also an advocate of this simple three point plan:

Vote Against Incumbent Politicians

Even though this clown isn't a true incumbent - he has done his time (and his damage) and it is time for him to move up or move on.

Some would argue that it is those of us who do not act out earlier that will allow them to come knocking for your weapons.

Personally, I think if a "politician" is giving a political speech then it is pretty scary if they won't allow it to be filmed. That presents a "red flag" to me. Seems like he has something to hide.

Even though this clown isn't a true incumbent - he has done his time (and his damage) and it is time for him to move up or move on.

It was filmed. The issue is the church is was at gave exclusive filming rights to KOIN. This was held on the church's property so they could do anything they wanted as far as filming. They should have trespassed the offenders and contacted the police.

This isn't a reason to go after Kitzhaber. Of course, I'm sure most of us could find a bill or 30 we wish he wouldn't have vetoed.

- this scenario has no bearing, resemebles or infraction on your (our) right to bear arms. Not even an inch in that direction.

You can place that argument on the guy trying to pan handle on a street corner that gets choked up from traffic and then is asked to move because he is causing a traffic hazard. The truth is I suspect our rights are violated much more than we think they are, but for the most part its insignificant and wont change the course of America. The truth is we live with rules and laws - in this case if you're on private property and they ask you to stop filming...stop. just like they do on a rock show. It aint a big a deal, no horrific dirty secrets are going to be revealed.

The guy filming that was a jackass. The bouncers were nice and direct and this guy still felt he had a right to film...and where did it get him? crying on a webpage about his rights being violated. Basically, he got no where.

just like where this thread is going.:s0114: anyway, I know this is a bit to the point and probably harsh in places, but I have little sympathy for that guy or the situation he placed himself in - he made it all happen.

I am disturbed by a couple of things about this whole deal.
Kitzhaber is actively running for the highest political office in the state,...
Why is he making a campaign speech in a church?
The church has tax exempt status based on a perceived lack of political influence, and this violates it. If they want to get political, they should have to register with the electoral regulators as such.

Did the invitations read: "All welcome to come hear candidate for Gov speak." ?!? Did they mention the "NO CAMERAS" etc. stipulation?
If JK or Dudley (or anyone actively campaigning for public office) was giving a political speech attempting to persuade others to cast their vote for him, then I think filming it should fall under the First Amendment clause.
Why? Because the outcome of the election will affect ALL OF US. NOT just the church goers/members.

This country is being heavily influenced by the mainstream media which has proven itself to have an agenda. Allowing KOIN or other "news" organization to have exclusive rights to a political campaign speech opens the door for "creative editing" that can easily change the candidate's message. I hear lefties constantly use "faux news" in reference to FOX, when the reality is, the mainstream engages in faux news constantly through the use of editing.

If one thinks back to previous elections, I am sure you can think of a few statements various candidates would like to have back. ("Angry people clinging to their guns and religion" comes to mind)
And the American voter has a right to hear that!!!

When it comes to political gatherings, with open invitations, then the opportunity to film/record audio should be open. If by invite only and attendees have to sign an agreement upon entering, then it's left open to interpretation by those issuing the invitations.

As far as the assault, that one should be a slam dunk considering the footage the guy has. People have gone to jail for less obvious (and less documented) assaults than that one.

- this scenario has no bearing, resemebles or infraction on your (our) right to bear arms. Not even an inch in that direction.

You can place that argument on the guy trying to pan handle on a street corner that gets choked up from traffic and then is asked to move because he is causing a traffic hazard. The truth is I suspect our rights are violated much more than we think they are, but for the most part its insignificant and wont change the course of America. The truth is we live with rules and laws - in this case if you're on private property and they ask you to stop filming...stop. just like they do on a rock show. It aint a big a deal, no horrific dirty secrets are going to be revealed.

I fail to see how someone sitting quietly in a seat pointing a camera at someone giving a speech in an auditorium is in anyway disruptive.

There is no correlation.

I fail to see how someone sitting quietly in a seat pointing a camera at someone giving a speech in an auditorium is in anyway disruptive.

There is no correlation.

seems innocent enough but if you woke up in the morning looked outside your front window and saw a person sitting in a chair facing your house you might find that disturbing, but again he's doing nothing wrong.

However - in this case the person WAS doing something wrong...he was filming when he was asked not to film...if you take away anything from this post..take that... he was filming after he was told repeatedly to stop filming....

look up the earlier post I created about this world of rules and laws. like it or not behavior has to curb to be successful in this world.

seems innocent enough but if you woke up in the morning looked outside your front window and saw a person sitting in a chair facing your house you might find that disturbing, but again he's doing nothing wrong.

However - in this case the person WAS doing something wrong...he was filming when he was asked not to film...if you take away anything from this post..take that... he was filming after he was told repeatedly to stop filming....

look up the earlier post I created about this world of rules and laws. like it or not behavior has to curb to be successful in this world.

That is still a weak correlation. In this case we have a politician speaking at a political event about why he wants to govern the state. In your example, it is a private person doing private stuff in their own home.

My underlying point is that regardless of the "rule of law" the mere fact that this person who aspires to govern a state is being deceptive and might have something to hide from the average voter.

That is still a weak correlation. In this case we have a politician speaking at a political event about why he wants to govern the state. In your example, it is a private person doing private stuff in their own home.

My underlying point is that regardless of the "rule of law" the mere fact that this person who aspires to govern a state is being deceptive and might have something to hide from the average voter.

look at Drew's point - it was filmed - no deception - there is NOTHING here.

this one will have to be agree to disagree :s0155:

I Guess Kidslapper finds it a tactical advantage to promote himself in a private forum instead of a public one where he may have to face criticism or answer the "tough questions".

I Guess Kidslapper finds it a tactical advantage to promote himself in a private forum instead of a public one where he may have to face criticism or answer the "tough questions".

Who says that only Kitzhaber was invited? Dudley has declined a number of invitations to appear on the same stage as Kitzhaber, not only debates but also simple candidate forums put on by private groups, which this one evidently was. You have no grounds to slur Kitzhaber at all here......................elsullo :cool:

I say lets find out the truth from Dudlee and hear his view on this important topic. He was a very highly paid bricklayer for the Blazers and thinks we ought to lower the minimum wage to get more people working for slave wages.

Now that that trolling rant is over, I do not see where the 1A is an issue here. He should have stopped when asked. Funny how we want privacy but are too willing to strip it away from others.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top