JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So here is my story:

I picked up my new to me "Used" Citadel 1911 45 ACP Conceal Carry model from my local owned gun store this evening.

The used part of the equation being that the gun was test fired at the factory and from what I can tell that is it. Being used it came sans original box and only one magazine, barrel has about zero wear from the slide. They were asking $399.00 for it and I sweet talked them down to $379.00 if I bought a couple of boxes of ammo and a holster for it. Their prices are reasonable on that stuff and I like to support my local businesses, so it was a no brainer decision as the local Whole Sale Sports across the way wants $499.00 for the same firearm NIB (yeah I know I am down a magazine vs. NIB, it's a $17.00 part).

Now I do not claim to be a gun expert (that title belonging to my father) but I have been around firearms 35 odd years so I have a few observations that might help someone make a purchase decision that has little to no experience with 1911's.

This is my first "knock off, off shore" firearm purchase. I have always had Ruger's, Smith and Wesson's, Browning's, Colt's, etc. That being said I am fairly impressed with what I have seen so far.

First order of business was to come home and field strip it down for a QC inspection. Removed the excess gunk and grease and gave it a good wipe down with my gun cloth and pushed a bore brush down the barrel to see what's what.

Parts fit is pretty top notch, it's no Gold Cup but comparable or better than many service 1911's I have had. Factory options like skeletonized hammer, trigger, beaver tail and the like are all welcome touches that were indeed considered "custom" 10 to 15 years ago.

Finish, eh.. It's a low cost carry gun, this is their Matte Black / Parkerized model I can already tell I should expect obvious wear signs just from holstering in short order. But for the price I paid I will live with it.

I believe I will be able to live original sights but will likely white dot the front sight to help acquire it easier. They are a snag free design and don't hang up on the holster upon removal.

The original grips, eh.... Decent for wood grips, double diamonds are too pronounced for my taste so I will likely change to something a bit thinner and likely rubber in material.

Well that's all I have for now, off to the range tomorrow morning...

Billy

Well I had a successful trip to the shooting range this morning. I had picked up a couple of boxes of Federal 230g FMJ to break in with.

Ran the full 100 rounds through without a single hang up or FTF. Extremely happy with the grouping out to 25yds. Could easily keep 10 rounds (I shoot in 5 round increments) in a group about the size of the palm of my hand when I concentrated at it. Otherwise just plain shooting fun.

After breaking down the gun, I found no odd or unexpected witness or wear marks that would indicate anything going wrong.

Only complaint is the originally installed grips are a bit on the wide side for my tastes and the double diamond is a bit on the ratty side. So to correct that I found a set of Hogue Extreme metal grips that fit nicely and are about 1/8 narrower in total width compared to the wood grips that came with the gun...

I will post pics when I can. Gotta get the guns cleaned up and then get things ready for my 8 yo's birthday tomorrow (he received one of his presents early, my old Steven's / Savage 72 single shot 22 rifle that he shot at the range again this morning while smiling from ear to ear).

Cheers...

Billy

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top