JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was out trolling for an Officer's size 1911 last night and ended up at Wholesale Sports looking at a Legacy Sports International Citadel CIT45CSP

Does anyone have any experience with them? The guys behind the gun counter were all saying that for the money, it cannot be beat (FWTW). Cast steel frame, forged steel slide, parkerized, beavertail, strips like an Officer's model, weighs in at 35.2 oz w/empty mag, 2" groups at 25 yards, for $500

I think :s0155:

I've checked these out before as I would really like to add a 1911 to my collection soon (gotta pick up a couple Bodyguard .380s first, one for me and one for the wife). Everything I've read said they were excellent for the price.

I did recently read about a new 1911 that was about to or just did come out that had some very nice features and was priced close to the Citadel. For the life of me I can't remember who made it but it would be worth looking into.

Citadel is made by Armscor who also makes Rock Island Armory. Armscor I believe, is also making the Hi Standard 1911 among others.

I'm looking to add one to my battery as well. There are lots of discussions on various 1911 forums. Armscor is a Philippine company and historically have a great fondness for the 1911.

weighs in at 35.2 oz w/empty mag,

If this is for CHL carry you might as well carry a full size 1911 pistol, that is a lot of weight to carry around. Even my 5 in XD 45 Compact weighs less. This may be a great gun to shoot but for my money I would get a lighter weight gun so that you don't get tired of it and leave it at home. Just my 2 cents.

weighs in at 35.2 oz w/empty mag,

If this is for CHL carry you might as well carry a full size 1911 pistol, that is a lot of weight to carry around. Even my 5 in XD 45 Compact weighs less. This may be a great gun to shoot but for my money I would get a lighter weight gun so that you don't get tired of it and leave it at home. Just my 2 cents.

You're comparing a polymer framed XD to an all metal 1911, which is not really a fair comparison. I carry a Glock 23 or a Beretta 92FS and with 6 different holsters between them, I never get tired of carrying either. Carrying your firearm in a quality holster in a position that you find comfortable is what will keep you from leaving it at home. Select the right holsters for YOU and you will always have your firearm when you need it.

You're comparing a polymer framed XD to an all metal 1911, which is not really a fair comparison. I carry a Glock 23 or a Beretta 92FS and with 6 different holsters between them, I never get tired of carrying either. Carrying your firearm in a quality holster in a position that you find comfortable is what will keep you from leaving it at home. Select the right holsters for YOU and you will always have your firearm when you need it.

You make a very valid point about holster selection making a gun much easier to carry all day. However there are also lots of full and mid size all metal 1911s out there that weigh significantly less than 35 ounces if you want to compare apples to apples strictly speaking. I am not trying to knock this gun it looks to be a high quality reliable firearm at a very fair price and may be the perfect choice for some. I am just saying it has the brick factor for concealed carry imho due to weight. If the weight doesn't bother the buyer, I say go for it. But if I am going to carry something that heavy it might as well be a full size version.

Okay, I'll agree that the Citadel has weight to it. But it's not so much more than other firearms in this category. Most of us will agree that Kimber is a leading manufacturing in the 1911 market. The Kimber Stainless Pro TLE II weighs 35 ounces, is the same overall size, and costs $1200. Kimber does make a few that only weigh 27 ounces, but if Kimber makes a 1911 that match the specs of the Citadel, then those specs can't be so bad.

Springfield makes the EMP in 9mm or .40S&W. The 9mm weighs in at 26 ounces, the .40S&W weighs 33 ounces, both of which are a full inch shorter. Granted the shorter overall length makes it more concealable, but it's also not a .45. If it takes an extra 7 ounces of weight to take the same gun from a 9mm to a .40, then how much more would it take to turn it into a .45? The .40S&W costs over a grand from what I've seen.

I'm not saying it's not a heavy gun, I'm saying it's a 300 pound guy in a fat camp. Sure he's a fat guy, but so is everyone else.

Well, I guess its safe to 'fess up that I bought one as soon as I saw it at Wholesale Sports. It was exactly what I was looking for and it 'talked to me'. We all know how impossible it is to just walk away from the gun counter after that.

I ordered a set of genuine Colt Cocobolo Gold Emblem grips for it, that should spruce it up a bit. The stock grips scream for replacement.

Well, I guess its safe to 'fess up that I bought one as soon as I saw it at Wholesale Sports. It was exactly what I was looking for and it 'talked to me'. We all know how impossible it is to just walk away from the gun counter after that.

I ordered a set of genuine Colt Cocobolo Gold Emblem grips for it, that should spruce it up a bit. The stock grips scream for replacement.

Good for you. I wish I could afford one but I've decided that when I do finally buy one I'm gonna go all out and pick up a Kimber. But first come the Bodyguard.380 for my wife and one for me, then maybe I'll pick one up.

I have a 3.5" Citadel and three Kimbers (ultra, Pro, Cutsom) and the $500 gun shoots just as good as the Kimbers. Obviously the fit and finish is not as good on the Citadel (the safety lever is a little crude and digs a hole in my hand after 50 rounds or so), but over all it is a super value and yes, it is HEAVY.

I was out trolling for an Officer's size 1911 last night and ended up at Wholesale Sports looking at a Legacy Sports International Citadel CIT45CSP

Does anyone have any experience with them? The guys behind the gun counter were all saying that for the money, it cannot be beat (FWTW). Cast steel frame, forged steel slide, parkerized, beavertail, strips like an Officer's model, weighs in at 35.2 oz w/empty mag, 2" groups at 25 yards, for $500

I would say go for it.

I have the Rock Island Armory CS (3.5") model made by Armscor, which is identical to OP's pic.

Full disclosure: The first 250 rounds or so I had some issues with FTF and FTE's. I sent it down to Arnel at Rock Island in Nevada and had him install night sights, replace the ejector, tune the extractor and the slide stop, install a wolff firing pin spring and recoil spring, and polish the feed ramp. Since I got it back it's been buttery smooth with no issues of any kind, and it's definitely more accurate than I am.

It may require a little tweak here or there, and a full break-in before it's ready for EDC out of the box, but I'm really happy with mine. Also, take a minute to go to m1911.org and look up the Armscor/Rock Island forum... there's a lot of snobbery from the Kimber crowd (probably because they feel the need to justify their $1,100 purchase), but everyone who actually owns an Armscor 1911 loves 'em!

I had to make some "tweaks" to mine, and still working on new sights, but you get the idea!! :s0155:

TactGry-Titanium_16.jpg

TactGry-Titanium_12.jpg

TactGry-Titanium_29.jpg

I spent a large amount of time smoothing all sharp edges, making it a lot more comfortable as a carry gun. I installed an extended thumb release, jeweled the barrel and barrel hood, fluted the top and underside of the slide. Filed down the slide release pin, and machined out the recess groove, its now smooth down the side of the slide, and the pin doesn't protrude out. I did away with the stock barrel bushing and went with an EGW beveled bushing with machined plug to match. Its VERY clean. Then had a two tone Cerakote job done. YES.. the Citadel logo is gone... had it machined off when the flute work was done...:D

I'm very happy with the results, it shoots great... but I still need to get the sights figured out since the stock sights sat to high. I want something low profile.

This is my first, and so far I am pretty happy with it.

I have never been one to toss my guns in the dirt, roll them around in the gravel, or carelessly slam them down on the shooting table or drop them on the concrete. It appears to be a pretty durable finish. Both magazine were done as well, and I have run a couple hundred rounds through it since being finished, and there are no "rub/wear" marks on either the slide, the rails or the magazines. The aerosol gun scrubber has no negative effects on the finish.

I just saw your post here and I am buying a 3.5" and thinking of hard chroming the the slide and maybe the frame. I see you "jeweled the barrel and hood.
Would you please tell me how you did that or really what does "jeweled " mean?

It goods great.

Thannks

Pete

Jeweling is simply using a hard rubber on then end of a drill press with some polishing compound and making little swirls marks. When you make a swirl circle, you overlap the next swirl about 1/2 on the previous swirl. Then move. Swirl. move. Swirl. Index. Swirl. move. swirl.. you get the idea. Its tedius and time consuming. I had mine done by a local guy for next to nothing! This isn't typically done on pistols, but rather bolts on bolt action rifles, to help hold oil to the surface of the bolt. This also prevents rusting. On my pistol, it wasnt so much about the oil, as it was the "look" I was after. You don't see if done very often, and I like the look.

If my life depended on it, I would rather have this than nothing. :s0155:

Hey - I'm newbie here but I am also considering a 3.5" Citadel 1911.

First I wanted to ask: Jaybo what colors did you cerekote your 1911 in ? - looks really good!

Second: How has the performance & reliability been with this pistol?? From what I can gather on my own they seem like a great buy for the price.

Thank you,

gipb

I picked one up "used" Citadel compact 1911 a few weeks ago, don't know how used it was as the barrel showed zero slide wear. I have been to the range twice and ran about 200 rounds of 230g round nose through it without one FTF or FTE. Shoots as well as about any other 1911 I have been exposed to in my 30 years around firearms.

I didn't really like the original grips so I found a set of Hogue metal extreme's that added to the appearance of it as well as the functionality IMHO.

Only thing really negative I have to say is the parkerizing is a bit thin in spots, nothing a Birchwood Casey blue/black pen has not been able to touch up.

As I picked mine up for a real bargain (less than $390) I am nothing but smiles.

Billy

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads