Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Circumstances under which tyranny is impossible

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by U201491, Apr 28, 2015.

1. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

Circumstances under which tyranny is impossible

The entire web page is worth the read, but the most important quote is below.

http://www.wnd.com/2015/04/circumstances-under-which-tyranny-is-impossible/?cat_orig=diversions

James Monroe wrote (James Monroe Papers, New York Public Library, Miscellaneous Papers and Undated Letters):

“Of the liberty of conscience in matters of religious faith, of speech and of the press; of the trial by jury; … of the benefit of the writ of habeas corpus; of the right to keep and bear arms. … If these rights are … secured against encroachments, it is impossible that government should ever degenerate into tyranny.”

Caveman Jim, 3MTA3 and albin25 like this.
  2. Kevinkris

Kevinkris Aloha Well-Known Member

Carloman ran France as a theocracy and it was still very much tyrannical. Forcing people to believe in your god is not freedom.

U201491 likes this.
  3. Jamie6.5

Jamie6.5 Western OR Well-Known Member

Who said it was?
    Freedom of religion is in the BoR to prevent what England did to the citizen-subjects via the Anglican church.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  4. Solved

Solved Lane County Member

I don't know. I think tyranny will always be possible as long as the public lacks proper education.

You can set up all the legal protections you want, but if people don't understand them they don't matter.

There is an interesting analysis of the decreasing complexity of the congress' language here.

http://sunlightfoundation.com/blog/2012/05/21/congressional-speech/

spookshack likes this.
  5. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Tyranny is also difficult when one politcal party doesn't have a super-majority.... Like we have going on now in Oregon.

spookshack likes this.
  6. U201491

I didn't see anything about forcing anything !
    That's usually a comment made by the non tolerant. The one's that push tolerance the most are the one's least likely to have it. This is about one of the founders quotes. Don't get in a tailspin.

40calruler likes this.
  7. U201491

tyranny is one pen away now in Oregon. Maybe time everyone has LL tucked in their mental thought processes. Just in case. At least dont lose sight of it. Recalls need to be effective. They dont fear anything as much as loss of power and control.

40calruler, Caveman Jim and Stomper like this.
  8. Solved

I wouldn't say any party having a majority is inherently bad. I would say a party's constituents not holding their leaders accountable for their actions is a problem. Apathy like that can lead to a majority though.
    A good example is the Democratic Party where its members defend almost anything a leader says no matter how outragous. But it isn't limited to one party, it's a problem of any group that cares about their survival more than what they stand for.

9. Jamie6.5

AKA: "The tyranny of the majority."

In the words of James Madison:
    http://rense.com/general64/madi.htm

The separation of powers and the BoR, as well as the guidelines laid down in the constitution as to the procedures and processes of how our government is SUPPOSED to operate, have been the backbone and/or basis for avoiding this scenario, until recently.
    With the current atmosphere in WA DC, and our "leader's" propensity to revert to campaign mode when he can't get his way, the tyranny of the majority has become a real threat to this republic.
    What is playing out in Oregon is just a microcosm of the general direction of US politics under the obama administration.

And the reason why the US was NEVER supposed to be a democracy.

Caveman Jim and Stomper like this.
  10. Stomper

The Republic gets slowly strangled by a "pure" democracy, then the democracy morphs into tyranny... with thunderous applause.

What fools are we.

ZigZagZeke, Caveman Jim and Jamie6.5 like this.
  11. Jamie6.5

When I read your post, I am reminded of those that cheered and applauded the Boston/MA police after they emerged from their homes, having been locked in at gunpoint, and their homes searched without warrant.
    The crowd chanting: "U-S-A, U-S-A" as the ambulance took Dzokhar away.

What fools indeed.

Caveman Jim, Dyjital and Stomper like this.
  12. MatthewP503

MatthewP503 Aloha Member

I think the apathy has to do with not having an understanding of how to hold our representatives accountable, and not just that, but how to have our voices heard and considered, rather than them giving us choices and telling us to check the box that takes the least of our freedoms away.
    In my opinion we must force them into compliance with the Constitution and the will of the people..
    I have been criticized for posting links to useful info on how to accomplish this, so if you want those links, than please ask.

13. MatthewP503

MatthewP503 Aloha Member

Let’s take a line that runs from left to right, with no political affiliation, philosophy, or ideology, in mind. At the right end of the line are those who have been members of the Patriot Community for quite some time. Their experience, research, and observations, along with their current mindset, have moved to the point of no return — that “state of Nature” that the Framers understood. They might easily be referred to as extremists, as were those “Indians” who made tea in Boston Harbor.

On the left end of the line, we have those who have only recently began to see something amiss in government. To provide a bit more perspective, if we revisit the nineteen-fifties, the John Birch Society had already seen the evil potential of the United Nations. They, as a group, comprised a majority of those who might first be defined as “Patriots” by our modern understanding.

I think you should read the article i pulled the 1st two paragraphs from called "the other not so thin line" to understand the progression a person takes in their willingness to act for what they believe in.

When you think that the time is rite;
    the plan for restoration of Constitutional government has been written, page 30 is the declaration of dissolution of government.
    Both documents can be modified to suit your town/city/county
    Once modified you must remove attributions to the original author and give them to to person or organization that has done modification.

14. Just Jim

Just Jim Well-Known Member

Tyranny is possible when good men do nothing. I believe the problems of today are because men no longer strive to be good. The laws are used to protect bad people rather than hold them accountable which turns those in law enforcement to turn into lawless. There is a lack of common sense now, there should be no way a man who kills 12 and wounds seventy people should still be alive after 3 years yet fools will scream he has rights.

Yep the lack of common sense will bring on tyranny.

40calruler, U201491 and Caveman Jim like this.
  15. MatthewP503

MatthewP503 Aloha Member

"There is a rank due to the United States among nations, which will be withheld, if not absolutely lost, by the reputation of weakness. If we desire to avoid insult, we must be able to repel it; if we desire to secure the peace, one of the most powerful instruments of our rising prosperity, it must be known that we are at all times ready for war."

How many of you, or how many people do you know who are prepared to avoid insult to their rights?
    How many of you understand the difference between a right and a privilege?

16. Solved

Probably more people than you think. It's easy to get in the mindset that because no one is doing anything, no one understands. When in reality there might be a lot of people that feel their natural rights are omnipotent regardless of law, but because no one speaks out, everyone thinks they're alone.

Just Jim and U201491 like this.
  17. Stomper

Son, I've been ready (and able) to repel all borders since I became a legal adult for over 30 years.

Many of us have had our "bubblegum in the grass" during the prime of our youth at great personal and physical costs to be able to "avoid insult" as you so put it.

Rights are inalienable, a privilege is permission granted for something that you have no right to. You have the right to free speech, but it's a privilege if people actually stop and listen to you.

...but, I digress.

40calruler and Just Jim like this.
  18. U201491

That is a lot of twisting in between.

19. U201491

People are waiting for the first move by ______.. That is the nutshell version.

20. ZigZagZeke

ZigZagZeke Eugene Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2015 Volunteer

I gave you a like because of your exquisite writing style in this post, as well as the content.

Stomper likes this.