JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
20151130_170208.jpg
Not the rail hugging humans on rough water but the toothie critters who fight like steelhead on steroids if hooked in the right place. (Z mouth)
Since the Chehalis river is still closed to the sport fishermen and women I have been out searching for new places to procure swimming meat. And these Chummers are the BEST for my deep fried "Salmon Nuggets"!!!!
For years during the late fall I had spied numbers of cars parked by a bridge on a side road near Mud Bay in West Olympia. I had never fished there due to the numbers of fishers that congregated there on the weekends.

Since I am no longer in the workforce, I decided to see if it was worth a go during the week. If one gets there right as the low tide is going out it is optimal and sometimes hectic when the bite is on!!! Yes I said BITE!!!
These fish do BITE!!!:cool::cool::cool:

You will notice that even the brightest of fish cut pale looking but I'll tell ya 5hat 5he you taste great deep fried!!!!;)
20151121_083212.jpg 20151130_170221.jpg

Last Edited:
I've been hearing that they are being caught with anchovies under a bobber out in the salt near Arcadia Point in Shelton from boats......:eek::eek::eek:
Gotta get in on that action because I can't fish from the bank for more than a half hour due to back problems....:(

Jim, you're mention of rail hugging chummers reminds me of advice my old fishing and hunting buddy gave to my son. He said, "boy, if you start to hurl and you feel something round and hairy in your mouth, slam your teeth together and swallow for dear life!" "it's your anus!"

He used a bit more colorful phraseology, but you get the drift!:D

You eat DOG......salmon! Eeewwwe. A couple of weeks ago I saw a lady is New Seasons, ya' know, yuppie, Prius drivin', gluten free, free range type, buying "Keta Salmon" for $8.99/lb, sounds so much better than dog or chum don't you think?

Just yanking chain chain Mr. Caveman! I'd eat your deep fried fish anytime! The meat looks surprisingly good for the colors on that buck. Though it's been years since I fished for them I didn't think many people ate them at that stage? Mostly cut the roe out and throw the cark on the beach I thought.

Last Edited:
Been a long time, but I remember the Dog Salmon swimming up a little creek on Ft. Lewis, where as Lewis and Clark described, you could walk across the creek on their backs and not get your feet wet. This creek was truly completely clogged with these toothy critters. My experience with chums, if you can get them in salt water, or extremely close, they're okay. But usually by the time they enter the relatively short streams that they spawn in, they are so decayed it's a wonder they are even still alive.

There was a time people would look forward to the chum run in the Tillamook bay streams. There were uncountable thousands to catch, and a few that were worthy of taking home. I no longer hear any discussion of this run.

WAYNO.

Springers only for me. I can't wait for next years run.
Jim, you're mention of rail hugging chummers reminds me of advice my old fishing and hunting buddy gave to my son. He said, "boy, if you start to hurl and you feel something round and hairy in your mouth, slam your teeth together and swallow for dear life!" "it's your anus!"

He used a bit more colorful phraseology, but you get the drift!:D

I always think that what comes up when yer hugging the rail came in pairs....:eek::eek::eek:o_O

You eat DOG......salmon! Eeewwwe. A couple of weeks ago I saw a lady is New Seasons, ya' know, yuppie, Prius drivin', gluten free, free range type, buying "Keta Salmon" for $8.99/lb, sounds so much better than dog or chum don't you think?

Just yanking chain chain Mr. Caveman! I'd eat your deep fried fish anytime! The meat looks surprisingly good for the colors on that buck. Though it's been years since I fished for them I didn't think many people ate them at that stage? Mostly cut the roe out and throw the cark on the beach I thought.

Bucks always eat better than the Eggers for some reason.
My next adventure for them will be out in the inlet.

View attachment 266338 Not the rail hugging humans on rough water but the toothie critters who fight like steelhead on steroids if hooked in the right place. (Z mouth)
Since the Chehalis river is still closed to the sport fishermen and women I have been out searching for new places to procure swimming meat. And these Chummers are the BEST for my deep fried "Salmon Nuggets"!!!!
For years during the late fall I had spied numbers of cars parked by a bridge on a side road near Mud Bay in West Olympia. I had never fished there due to the numbers of fishers that congregated there on the weekends.

Since I am no longer in the workforce, I decided to see if it was worth a go during the week. If one gets there right as the low tide is going out it is optimal and sometimes hectic when the bite is on!!! Yes I said BITE!!!
These fish do BITE!!!:cool::cool::cool:

You will notice that even the brightest of fish cut pale looking but I'll tell ya 5hat 5he you taste great deep fried!!!!;)

After several years, I just find the website has a fishing forum... not sure why I never bothered to look. Hope you don't mind me participating here once and awhile.

Catching Chum are a hoot... and are especially fun on an 8 weight fly rod. They are also one of the best smoking fish IMHO.

After several years, I just find the website has a fishing forum... not sure why I never bothered to look. Hope you don't mind me participating here once and awhile.

Catching Chum are a hoot... and are especially fun on an 8 weight fly rod. They are also one of the best smoking fish IMHO.

The more the merrier!!!
Good conversation is always welcomed here.
I was just talking to a guy about the late run at the Nisqually river around Christmas time, IN THE SALT WATER!!!!!! I'm game for nickle bright chummers!!!!!;)

Ed, I'll keep you informed!!!! Although I'd hate to have to by a salt license but may have to if it's BTW (balls to the walls) fishing!!!

Last Edited:
I used to take newbies, coworkers and out of staters down to fish the chum runs on the Kilches and Miami back in the day. Usually get a couple of keepers, brine the up and smoke them and they ate fine.

Next day one co worker who never fished large fish said damn my arm hurts. Used to watch the snaggers work the water while the state cops in disguise watched them.

CR57, good on ya, that right there is why I fish nowadays with a bigger boat so I can take more people who want to learn to fish up here. I'll be taking my cousin I haven't seen in 45 years summer steelheading on the Big C in July.....

Well the Nisqually run is really weird this year with none showing before the flood and very few coming in after.
I'm disappointed to say the least that I feel it is not worth the effort this year in the salt....
Going to jump in my new partners DB and do some steelheading. That will be another chapter to be written soon.
Tight lines everyone!!!:)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top