JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Chukars will hurt you and cackle with glee while doing so!!!
If you still want to chase them disregarding your own safety, minimum shotgun would be a 3-1/2" 10ga. semi-auto with at least 4 ounces of #8 shot.
If I ever hunt them again, I'm taking a good retriever and a BAZOOKA or this:s0106:

Yes, good boots capable of supporting your ankles are a good thing.

A water bladder in a light backpack would not hurt either.

Also, in pure honesty, be prepared to not bring home a single bird.

I hate 'em. They poop on my deck.

000_0031.jpg

P

Without hesitation I would go 12 gauge.
We use "Chukar Loads" which are #6 shot at 1330 FPS.
They are tough and they move out fast when flushed.

My preference is a semi-auto but would compromise with a pump or O/U.

The very best practice for chukar is shooting trap, not skeet TRAP.
The clay bird come out of the trap house similar to the way a chukar flushes.

There you have it, everything you need to know is in this post.
No brag, just fact.
There is one more thing...never ever try to hunt chukar uphill.
They will run.
You want to hunt down on them.
Then they will flush.

Ooops....one more thing.
After the covey flushes and you unload on them....RELOAD !
There is often one or two late flushers that will catch you with your pants down if you don't heed this warning.

Now get a scattergun and go shoot some trap.
28" Modified or 30" Full.....pick 'em.

Lol!

I was hoping to keep the shotgun price to ~ $400 max but don't know if that's too little.

There are more important things to think about than keeping the price of a shotgun at a price point. Your friend has offered a loaner. Take advantage of it. After a day of Chukar hunting, you may decide to never hunt again. Really. Boots could be money better spent.

I've owned some pretty gorgeous shotguns thru the years, but Chukar hunting, specifically, is what made me start buying, and hunting with basic utility grade shotguns. The shale slides can be hard on a shotgun.

I spent a lot of my younger years hunting the slides of the Deschutes River. Truly a sport for young people, or people in otherwise good shape. This is the most physical bird hunting I've ever done. Spend a half day hiking up the hillsides, sliding three steps down for every four steps taken uphill. Shoot a bird, and even though you hit it, it will lock its wings and sail down the canyon. Nearly impossible without a dog. And when you get to the top of the canyon, then you've got another half day getting back to the bottom.

I can't do it any more, but I absolutely loved Chukar hunting when I was able.

Last Edited:
I absolutely loved Chukar hunting when I was able.
My favorite. I love the way they take off, instantly at speed, straight-lining like an A-10 hog in a strafing run. First time I went after chukar I was hooked, swore off pheasant as they suddenly became boring. We hunt with a German shorthair as point and a goofy black lab to flush em. The dogs are really neat to watch.
I started with an 870 12g, but quickly moved to a CZ 20g O/U and haven't regretted it for a minute. 28", first barrel modified, second is full.

I'm sure if they were sh!ttin on my deck I'd hate em, but they're a lot of fun to hunt.

Chukars move fast and sometimes need extra shots on them to go down. They are tough birds!!!

A pump is generally lighter to carry, but unless you practice a LOT, is slow on repeat shots. An auto is heavier to tote in typical chukar country, but will give you fast repeat shots w/o much effort. I used a 20ga over/under because I could start it and swing it faster. Only two shots, but rarely get more, and with replaceable chokes you can choose how you want it set up. If your fast, you can use improved and modified. If your a little slower, you can use modified and full. No biggie, but the double barrels that have interchangeable chokes let you try out different choke choices.

A 12ga gets more shot in the cone, but is heavier to carry. A 20ga is popular, but requires better shooting. I'd venture that most chukar hunters carry a 12ga. YMMV

I have always used #6 shot on chukars, but as I mentioned they are hard to bring down. Many a hit chukar has sailed down the hill with one leg and one wing down. Only to be lost to the hunter or taking a lot of time for the dogs to fetch them up. When hunting above the Snake River, they can even go across, then presumably they die on the other side. I switched to #5s for both chukar and pheasant. 7 1/2s are for clays/doves, but would allow you to get more wounding shots if you like to see feathers fly, unless you are very close and very good at fast moving targets. For a new bird shooter, the birds are going to be further away when you shoot than what your buddies will be doing. They'll be yelling at you to shoot faster, but it takes a lot of skeet before that is going to happen. Swing the shotgun, don't point it!!! I hunted huns with 6s, and quail over dogs with #9s.

I agree with all of that, especially on the 5's. I tend to be a little behind them anyway, one pellet big enough to reach the vitals is my strategy and motto! :D Practice falling away shots with the bird moving around you and downhill. It can be hard getting used to shooting far enough under them.
Plated shot will pull less feathers into the meat with both chukar and pheasant.
Chokes are tricky, shooting over pointing dogs usually means IC or MOD is fine. If they're busting wild sometimes you're hoping for an extra full turkey choke. You won't know until you get there so changeable chokes are a big plus.

I agree with all of that, especially on the 5's. I tend to be a little behind them anyway, one pellet big enough to reach the vitals is my strategy and motto! :D Practice falling away shots with the bird moving around you and downhill. It can be hard getting used to shooting far enough under them.
Plated shot will pull less feathers into the meat with both chukar and pheasant.
Chokes are tricky, shooting over pointing dogs usually means IC or MOD is fine. If they're busting wild sometimes you're hoping for an extra full turkey choke. You won't know until you get there so changeable chokes are a big plus.

Good commentary!! :)

Main thing is to handle a few to see what fits you.
^^^Yes. That. Exactly.^^^
Practice is good, but if the gun doesn't fit you it will make shooting so laborious. Even if you figure out how to get it to work at the range, that won't necessarily translate to the field.
Frustration City.
The action doesn't really matter all that much. They all work and have worked well for many years.
When I hunted Chukar, I used a pump, an auto, heck even my brother's break action single.
12, 16 and 20 gauges.
They all worked.
Practicing with whatever gun you end up with is good, but if you're not too active, you should really start some kid aerobic regiment to get yourself ready.
It's one thing to shoot the gun when you're well rested, its something completely different when you're half out of breath and so exhausted all you wanna do is plop down on that imaginary couch that follow you everywhere and not move for the rest of the day.
….and guaranteed, THAT is when they'll flush. :rolleyes:
The reason you'll be so exhausted is because to get to them, you'll have to do some mountain climbing.
They like to hang out near the tops of ridges.
This allows them to fly down the hill when they flush, which is the classic Chukar tactic.
So get in shape while you got time....and it doesn't have to be The American Ninja Warrior Workout. Go for a walk. Outside or on a treadmill, either is fine. Keep the pace a bit enthusiastic and you should be fine by next fall.
Something I didn't see commented on yet, is how they flush.
In my experience, they flush in large coveys. Maybe 20-30 birds. Not EVERY time, but typically.
They rise at a low angle and not very high.
This ain't Pheasant.
They just need to clear the sage brush, then they're off.
Sometimes you'll get lucky and they'll rise up a descent amount. Then you'll notice The Cloud. That's what a large covey of Chukar looks like. A "cloud" of birds raising up….and what comes with a cloud? That's right....
THUNDER.
I kid you not. When you hear thunder, get the gun up and turn in the direction of the sound, because the Chukar have just flushed.
It's kind of a "Bobwhite mentality" to how they do it.
Bobwhites will also converge into fairly large covey's. In the classic sense, they sit in a circle, on the ground with their tails all bustled up together.
When they flush, they go in all directions at once.
It's very confusing.
Chukar are kinda the same way, in that they use the large covey concept but use the sound of all those beating wings to confound their aggressor.
...and confound it does!
It causes you take a pause while you try to figure out just what the heck is going on.
They use that time to get away.
Don't shoot into the covey and hope that you'll hit a bird.
That "law of averages" tactic never works and you'll walk home empty handed every time.
When they flush, pick A BIRD, aim for it and shoot at THAT BIRD.
Only way it will work.
I tend to prefer the classic high brass "Duck and Pheasant" load of #6's for hunting any upland game.
Others will tell you I'm full of...stuff, but it's always worked for me.
...and yes, if you want to practice for Chukar, practice TRAP.
The rise and the way clay flies is very similar Chukar.

Dean

Last Edited:
They rise at a low angle and not very high.
This ain't Pheasant.
They just need to clear the sage brush, then they're off.
Dean

This is a good point and matters a lot if you're hunting over dogs. With the low flight patterns down and around you, on bad footing, it's easy to swing onto a dog - your flusher out front or your pointer that you just walked past to flush the covey. More of a problem with unbroke dogs in the excitement of a covey flushing.
Just me, but I would not take a first time bird hunter chukar hunting - not the place to start someone out imo. They need to get used to the dogs, flushes, and some wing shooting first.

Last Edited:
Makes my heart ache for the old days of my past. Beautiful dogs!!!

I raised and trained German Shorthair Pointers. But I love all dogs.

OP, try not to miss a bird, the dogs get disappointed and will give you "the look". ;):D

I know that look in both English and German. it's a universal language! o_Oo_O

Without hesitation I would go 12 gauge.
We use "Chukar Loads" which are #6 shot at 1330 FPS.
They are tough and they move out fast when flushed.

My preference is a semi-auto but would compromise with a pump or O/U.

The very best practice for chukar is shooting trap, not skeet TRAP.
The clay bird come out of the trap house similar to the way a chukar flushes.

My chukar hunting experiences were a little different maybe. I hunted the breaks of the Snake River in hunting parties spread across the very steep hill. Maybe 4 or 5 hunters, with dogs, some pointers, some flushers, at varied heights in a line about 100yds apart up and down the hill. MOST of the coveys that flushed in a trap-like pattern were those that flushed at a distance either too far to shoot, or almost too far to shoot. The great preponderance were flushed by the hunter at the top (cuz they run up there to get away from the party and then don't want to flush up into the sky at the top) and came sailing by, straight down the hill, at a 90deg or straight across/sideways angle. Typical skeet angles, but yes low like trap. There were others that came almost straight overhead, like high tower or #9 station skeet, which at times had me falling over backwards down the hill in a somersault and tenderizing both myself and my shotgun.

Maybe practice both trap and skeet? Or how about sporting clays or hand thrown clays... low but crossing instead of straight away (yes, I know trap shots are not all straight away :)). Of course, once the OP goes out, he will know which he needs to practice! :D But in either case, shouldering the shotgun is an important skill for field hunting so IMO one needs to practice International rules shooting.

I guess it depends on where and how the party hunts chukar. I'm only relating my personal experiences. YMMV

Last Edited:
That's interesting bbbass.
Almost sounds like how they hunt upland in England, where groups of hunters stand at stations and the dogs go into the field and push the birds towards the hunters.
It sounds like you may have been standing on the lower part of the hill, so the birds were flushed down towards you.
From reading through this thread, and also with my own personal experiences, one typically stands on the upper side of the hill, thus the birds flush away from them...just like how the clay flies away from you in a Trap shooting scenario.
Interesting post. Thanks for sharing that with us.

This is a good point and matters a lot if you're hunting over dogs. With the low flight patterns down and around you, on bad footing, it's easy to swing onto a dog - your flusher out front or your pointer that you just walked past to flush the covey. More of a problem with unbroke dogs in the excitement of a covey flushing.
Just me, but I would not take a first time bird hunter chukar hunting - not the place to start someone out imo. They need to get used to the dogs, flushes, and some wing shooting first.
Quite true.
I remember a Pheasant hunting trip with my dad down in the south end of the Hood Canal in Washington, where there's been a popular release site for years.
Our dog (an eternally "puppy-like" German Shorthair) flushed a cock, but I seem to remember the dog was between the bird and the creek where most of them flew across.
So instead, the bird turned and went the other way.
The dog was in hot pursuit. I had my 20 ga. SxS back then and let go with both barrels just as the bird went into some Doug Firs.
It was a snap shot, but I put him down....I also noticed the dog was only a couple of feet behind the bird, which had flushed low.
My heart about stopped. I thought for sure I'd killed our beloved family pet.
...wouldn't you know it. Not a scratch.
I looked that dog all over, right on the spot. Not a nick anywhere.
Vey lucky dog owners that day.

That's interesting bbbass.
Almost sounds like how they hunt upland in England, where groups of hunters stand at stations and the dogs go into the field and push the birds towards the hunters.
It sounds like you may have been standing on the lower part of the hill, so the birds were flushed down towards you.
From reading through this thread, and also with my own personal experiences, one typically stands on the upper side of the hill, thus the birds flush away from them...just like how the clay flies away from you in a Trap shooting scenario.
Interesting post. Thanks for sharing that with us.

Sorta... All the guys would move sideways along the contour of the hill, trying to push the birds into a flush in front of us before they ran up the hill. They rarely held for a pointing dog, which we wound up using like flushers because the birds wouldn't hold for a point, the birds either ran uphill or ran sideways to the hill and flushed out in front. If they ran to the top of the hill, the guy up there could flush them, get his shot(s), typically quartering away like trap, and since they mostly came straight down, probably to get across the river, the rest of us down the line would usually get crossing shots or overhead shots, or even behind you shots. Sometimes the birds at the top would flush across the hill and the guy at the top would get a straight away shot. But only that shooter. BTW, they never let me have the guy on top position... I was the FNG. ;)

But conversely, if we had another line of hunters out front, coming towards us, and were trying to push birds to them from our line of hunters on the hill, the birds flushed downhill before we got in range, never uphill, never straight, never to the other guys. They must have some damn good eyesight!

"It sounds like you may have been standing on the lower part of the hill, so the birds were flushed down towards you." Yes. Walking in the lower part of the line of hunters. Sidehilling. Killing my knees! But it's just how the birds flushed. Downhill. Whenever they flushed out straight from the lower part of the line it was too far away, and much of the time it was because some fellow hunter's dog was out too far and had pushed/spooked/busted the birds. My GSP liked to range out, but in those days I had him well controlled and could keep him in close.

Years later, my then bozz told me he went hunting in the grassy hills rather then on the breaks. His party was two guys, including himself and I think they got shots like you are relating.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads