JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a friend who has invited me to go chukar hunting this fall in southern-S.E Oregon and I happily accepted his invitation. Now I need to get a shotgun and begin practicing.

I've never hunted birds before so need a bit of advice on the shotgun and shells.

I am leaning towards a used shotgun, perhaps an auto. Would a 12 G.A. model 11 with a full choke work? Or should I stick with something ubiquitous like a 870?

I don't want to dump a lot of $$ initially into the shotgun and that's why I'm looking used. I also like the idea of showing up with something well used and hopefully, with a lot of practice, doing well with it.

Also, after I've figured out what I should get, what to feed it for chukar (andperhaos pheasant)?

Any help or opinions are greatly appreciated ~ Thanks

Hunting over dogs? Pointers? Flushing breeds? or just walking them up? This will be a determining factor on choke. Full choke would not be my first choice especially over dogs. Chukar will also run uphill then flush down hill making fast incomers a possibility. In a 12 ga improved or modified would be the way to go.

Given chukars present multiple opportunities on a flush a reliable pump or auto would be a good choice. Watch for sleepers. For chukars 7 1/2 trap loads work well. If you throw pheasants into the mix move up to #6 field loads. My only two magazine shotguns are a 20 ga 870 Wingmaster which has served well in the uplands and a 12 ga 870 Express that does some waterfowl duty when things get ugly. I'm sure others will chime in.

A skeet field is a good place to start out learning. It was designed by grouse hunters as off season practice and covers a lot (but not all) shot presentations.

Your friend should be able to provide some insight into the type of shooting to expect and would probably be a better source for shotgun/choke/ammo suggestions.

Last Edited:
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, there are dogs; a German shorthair and some kind of retriever. Depending on if his friends (maybe it's a family member, I forget) comes there may be others.

I have asked my friend questions similar to what I've asked above but he doesn't really seemed interested in these particulars and said I don't need to buy anything and he'll let me borrow one of his shotguns. I think he believes I'm over thinking things.

But I know the more trigger time I can get with a particular shotgun the better and safer I'll be.

I belong to TCGC so have a place to practice. Now just need to gear up and start.

Sounds like a typical "dog guy". Its all about the dog work and everything else is an afterthought.:D

Get signed up for the TCGC shotgun target keys (skeet and 5 stand) if you haven't done so already. I believe Brent is back to doing his basic shotgun instruction on Wednesday morning. It would be $50 bucks well spent for a beginner.

Last Edited:
Yup, Wednesday at 8:00!

5D0C2756-3872-4BC9-817C-C99463CE833E.png

Chukar!

Lol.

Living in Northern Nevada I've grown up around those little F'ing birds. I hunted them in my later life down there and they suck!

Just kidding, it's a lot of fun hunting them, but they can be a real pain in the bubblegum. Especially back in NV where they loved rocky ridges and it was more hiking/rock climbing than hunting!

You can get away with bird shot Walmart loads. I'd recommend high velocity #6 so as to be able to try a second or third shot at them after they take off, IE more than 40 yards. It doesn't do too much more damage at closer distances than inexpensive birdshot does.

Shotguns are pretty similar across the $ spectrum. Being that no expensive shotgun will gain you more accuracy than a $100 single shot since they are all smoothbore. Length of the tube and chokes help with spread and the extra $ goes for ergonomics, materials used, and brand.

Chukar suck, like I've said before, you can flush them at the last minute, at your feet type thing, or spook them before you even see them, usually the second. They have really good vision and like to hang out in high places. A 18" barrel could be great for those close shots, a 26" could be good for longer shots. A 20-24" with some various chokes is about as universal as it gets. Best spread your shot on paper at various distances to get an idea.

Once you know your spreads, start practicing on clays.

That's about all I got.

Did I mention Chukar suck?

Chukars move fast and sometimes need extra shots on them to go down. They are tough birds!!!

A pump is generally lighter to carry, but unless you practice a LOT, is slow on repeat shots. An auto is heavier to tote in typical chukar country, but will give you fast repeat shots w/o much effort. I used a 20ga over/under because I could start it and swing it faster. Only two shots, but rarely get more, and with replaceable chokes you can choose how you want it set up. If your fast, you can use improved and modified. If your a little slower, you can use modified and full. No biggie, but the double barrels that have interchangeable chokes let you try out different choke choices.

A 12ga gets more shot in the cone, but is heavier to carry. A 20ga is popular, but requires better shooting. I'd venture that most chukar hunters carry a 12ga. YMMV

I have always used #6 shot on chukars, but as I mentioned they are hard to bring down. Many a hit chukar has sailed down the hill with one leg and one wing down. Only to be lost to the hunter or taking a lot of time for the dogs to fetch them up. When hunting above the Snake River, they can even go across, then presumably they die on the other side. I switched to #5s for both chukar and pheasant. 7 1/2s are for clays/doves, but would allow you to get more wounding shots if you like to see feathers fly, unless you are very close and very good at fast moving targets. For a new bird shooter, the birds are going to be further away when you shoot than what your buddies will be doing. They'll be yelling at you to shoot faster, but it takes a lot of skeet before that is going to happen. Swing the shotgun, don't point it!!! I hunted huns with 6s, and quail over dogs with #9s.

(Edit: And yes, chukars suck!!!) But if you're tough, you might get the bug... they sure taste good!!!

BTW, replaceable legs are good... you need one leg shorter than the other when crossing the hill, then switch legs for coming back. ;):D

Last Edited:
Right on! Will do.

Now about the shotgun.... what would work best for a beginner like me given the type of hunting I'll be engaged in?

What's your budget?

For a beginners pure chukar gun over dogs I'd go with light (about 6lbs to no more than 6 1/2 lbs ), 3 shot capacity, 2 3/4" 20 ga, screw in chokes, 26-28" barrel. Of course the gun should fit reasonably well.

I made my choice years ago with the above mentioned 870 Wingmaster. Still a good choice today, lots of used guns around, plenty of after market accessories, easy to disassemble and clean or to switch barrels. You might also look at the Mossberg's or the Franchi and Winchester autoloaders. Hang around the clay target fields at TriCounty and ask people if you can shoulder their shotguns. It will give you some idea of what make and model feel best to you. Whatever you choose, make sure you have some money left over for practice targets and ammo.

Just remember, you're only there for the dogs.

IMG_0151.JPG

One saying about Chukar, from my good friend back in NV that took me my first time.

"The first Chukar hunt is for fun, every other Chukar hunt is for revenge."

OP, try not to miss a bird, the dogs get disappointed and will give you "the look". ;):D

Many years ago, I was hunting pheasants with my Brittainy. After many hours of walking I missed on the only bird we had seen all day. Rested the shotgun on a fence post to take a break. The dog immediately walked over to the gun and lifted his leg on it. They can cop a real attitude.

Yeah, we're hijacking your post, but its O.K. because we're talking about our dogs.

Lol!

I was hoping to keep the shotgun price to ~ $400 max but don't know if that's too little.
Semi autos can be had for this, as for pretty much any other action type.

I'd say go to Sportsmans, they usually carry a significant variety of shotguns for whatever reason.

Bring twice as much ammo as you think you could possibly use. Also, they have a tendency to lock their wings when hit and can sail for miles (at least it seems so). I am not an expert, only hunted twice, and both times had to either hike back to the truck or drive into town for more, and different, ammo. Chuckars suck!

Thanks to everyone for the many replies. You've given me a starting point. I'm now on the search for a lighter shotgun. Securing that, I'll be found at TCGC Wednesday mornings:) Hopefully within the month!

Cheers ~

My very serious suggestion is a either a .410 or .20ga. is what you should consider enough Shotgun and I would stay away from the Automatics because you will waste lots of Ammunition in missed Targets and B1RDS!

Just my Personal Opinion. :):):)

Thanks to everyone for the many replies. You've given me a starting point. I'm now on the search for a lighter shotgun. Securing that, I'll be found at TCGC Wednesday mornings:) Hopefully within the month!

Cheers ~
Take as light a gun as possible. You will be doing a lot of hiking over rocks the size of basketballs if the habitat is typical. I like my Ithaca 37 in 20 ga which is close to 6 pounds. It's fast enough with a very slick pump action.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top