JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I need a new chronograph. (See post in shooting pictures:D) Had a Shooting Chrony F-1 I had bought used. Only used it a few times but it seemed to work well. After it's demise Friday, I'm trying to decide whether to buy another one like it or upgrade. Looking for opinions, experiences and suggestions. Thanks!!

IIRC Chrony sells replacement parts if the sensors survived. If not the best price I found on the beta master was on amazon - the price structure is odd though - If you watch it for a while the price drops every few days until it bottoms then jumps back up and starts dropping again.

I've owned a Shooting Chrony Beta for a long time and am generally pleased with it. Seems to me that there are too many uses for the few buttons and since I don't use it all of the time, I'm sure to keep the manual handy. Wouldn't mind if it had a printer, either.
Since I mostly shoot rifle I would be inclined to check out the MagnetoSpeed if I needed to purchase a new one. It straps to the barrel and doesn't use skyscreens or a tripod. A little spendy at $400 retail, but sure looks like it would be easy to use.

I shot over a prochrono digital last week. They run band new for $99. We did not use the diffuser and did not need it. It has a large area to shoot over so it's easy to shoot over the prochrono without killing it by accident.

I was shooting a Browning 1885 HighWall in .45-70 and was surprised that my average with 24 gr of H4198 behind a 531 gr bullet was 1129 fps. I figured it might be around 1200 fps.

You can also buy a bluetooth attachment for it to run the data back to your iPhone or IPad while at the range. You can then print the session or email to yourself. Using the bluetooth will also let you remotely control the prochrono although there really isn't a reason to have to do that.

I really liked how easy it was to use this one. My own chronograph is an old Crony F1 (red box) that is so finicky it's not even worth using . I've shot over my Crony more times than I can remember without it recording a speed. I am looking around for the best price for a prochrono myself as I'm running so many different handled loads I want to be able to keep an accurate data log for the best loads.

Hope this helps.

Lp

"My brother's reaction was "I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU DID IT AGAIN!"."

Sooo-----this is the second one you have shot? If you have two, make them into a set of bookends
for the reloading manual shelf. I've got a pair of F1 Chrony's with similar injuries.:)

Current chrono is a CED Millenium 2. Same as the one I see at the chrono station at USPSA
matches, and the expensive parts are out of the line of fire.

Here's an old trick for chronographs with the triangular skyscreens -

After you've set it up and visually sighted on your target, tape a sheet of paper over the front screen but don't cover any of the body of the chronograph. Then look down the barrel (if possible) or use one of those laser bore sighters. If you can see the body through the barrel or the laser hits low on the paper, crank the chronograph down an inch or two. Then take the paper off.

If you're shooting with pistol offhand, then there really isn't a good method except to be aware of any changes. If you move POA or adjust the sights to shoot lower, lower the machine a bit.

It takes a bit more time but it gives you some leeway.

"My brother's reaction was "I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU DID IT AGAIN!"."

Sooo-----this is the second one you have shot?

I feel the need to qualify my brother's statement!

How to start.

My name's Jason, I'm currently in the 'denial' phase. The first chrono had 'issues', and was simply 'helped' into replacement... The most recent incident is my parent's fault!

;)

I'll be getting another ProChrono.

I, too, have put one out of its misery :mad:.

Will probably get another pro chrono but would love to try (and then try to justify) the Lab Radar (http://mylabradar.com/) if they ever release it!

Right now just waiting until I need to develop a new load once I run out of one of my powders.

I, too, have put one out of its misery :mad:.

Will probably get another pro chrono but would love to try (and then try to justify) the Lab Radar (http://mylabradar.com/) if they ever release it!

Right now just waiting until I need to develop a new load once I run out of one of my powders.

Schnikes! Do want!

Have any idea on price?

I have the caldwell chronograph which allows you to simply plug in a smart phone and use their app..... you can put a few bricks in front of the chrono body if its setting on a table or rig up some steel plate to block the front of it. I put 104 rounds over mine this weekend and only had two errors... which I thought was not too bad since it was my first time out with it and the weather conditions were not the best. If you watch Amazon prices seem to fluctuate but its always under $100

I will always buy competition electronics. ... Why because when I shot mine back in 1991 with a Derringer they replaced it FREE.

Since then I sold it, but needed another when I started shooting competition again. Bought another one from them, but now the repair fee is 50 bucks whether you shoot it or drive over it.

Needless to say if I drive over it.... I'm gonna quit shooting LOL.

Shooting Chrony F purchased, used since 9-14-1988
Finally replaced the cardboard screens last year with handmade "from voter sign" coroplast.
Uses a 9 volt battery (voltmeter says) Chrony quits working at 7.5 volts dc.
5-25-2015 still working fine, 12Ga slugs, 30.06, .223, .45acp, .22.
Am careful when setting up to shoot over it.

Recently bought a CED-M2 but haven't tried it yet

Impressed with the CE ProChrono Digital and it's bluetooth, pc interfaces

If you get another chrony you might consider the master series - the main brain is back on the bench with only the sensors and sky screens down range. Also you might weld up a deflector box to contain the important parts.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top