JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have 20 acres in the edge of town in Christmas Valley. I've owned it since '79 and always thought if I lost my place near Salem I'd have that to go live on. I'd have to pull a trailer out there or build something. I wonder if I'd be better off out there in SHTF situation. I have semi secluded 20 acres near Salem.

Too hot and dry in the summer and too cold and snowy in the winter.

It's a great place to visit and all, especially with the stores full of shipped in goods, but if SHTF it's not a place i'd like to be.

I'm not saying you couldnt sustain yourself there, but it wouldnt be very enjoyable IMHO.

You would have a longer growing season if you could get water to your crops. But from what Ive read thats about the only benefit of that side of the mountain. Plenty of game on both sides but cover can be very scarce over there if you have to bug out. Depending on how your place sits it may be easier to defend or harder. I personally like the trees and water on this side of the mountain. My place is at the top of my hill. We're backed up to blm and the house is wood heat and gets water from a spring that will gravity feed if the powers out. Also have a spring fed pond thats planted with crappie, bluegill and catfish. Deer, squirrel,quail, dove and rabbit I can shoot off the porch if need be. Ducks fly into the pond a few times a week. I wouldnt leave this area unless I was really pushed. Even then I would come back and clear it out if possible.. There would have to be a serious force heading up my hill to push me out. I figure my wife and I could hold this place down for 4 hours of constant fire with what I have here. And I can see about a mile down the hill. They better come thick and hard if they want this hill. And good luck getting past my like minded neighbors...lol

Christmas Valley has one HUGE problem. WATER no water with no electricity. And while the Golf Course does have the lake that becomes a huge PITA.

The biggest comfort to me would be the sparse population and being away from starving hords from the cities. Water is plentiful but it is 200' down. A well and a generator would be mandatory.

I lived on a alfalfa farm there for a few years and yes it is hot and the water is deep, with a good well and a solar pump I thing it would be great to live back there. Sage rats and muleys abound and the jack rabbits do taste good once they are smothered in bbq sauce. The key is water and food for the animals

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top