JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Really research the container house idea. And don't buy from containers R us! Cost per square foot will end up much higher than other methods. I actually went down this road and containers r us didn't deliver when I had 10k worth of supplies and equipment waiting for them and wouldn't refund my money until I got the owners personal cell phone number and started harassing her multiple hundreds of times at 3 am and also had to lawyer up, bad experience for me but that led to a change of mind and don't try to bury a container.

Shipping container ?? Portable unit. Not a structure. Only seems like some kind of county code regulating what kind of things can be stored. My neighbor has 2 POS full size mobile home he uses for "storage. I have had to look at these pieces of bubblegum for years. No county codes.

My son has a full size container in town behind a fence on his property.

jluck, thanks for the heads up about that company. I've been looking at a couple companies that aren't brokers, but actually have the containers in their own lots and allow you to go look at them before purchasing. I know one of them on ground delivery. So, as long as it isn't a second story or in the ground, they will place it on the foundation when they bring it.
CoastRange57, after seeing some of the homes and additional buildings out there, I don't see how much is enforced. After reading for a couple days, I'm surprised they don't do inspections on tents. Laughed a little when I saw that Id have to get permission from the county to set up a tent on my own property if I was going to use it as a weekend campsite. I think I can make a container home look pretty damned good, so I guess it is just to make sure the wind won't collapse it?
Building a stick or block built home is easy and I know I won't save money by using containers. I also know that I will have the usual steps and some additional to handle. However, I see it as something that will be easier for me to build onto in the future.

Buying a 40 acre lot. About a hundred feet off the main road to where I will be putting the entrance to the property. Waiting for a day or two with less snow/rain and the rep will meet me out there to hunt down the corners. This will be just to give me an idea of where they are, I'll end up getting it surveyed and staked. So, now I'm just waiting on a scheduled meeting at the property and paperwork.
The second lot, which is adjacent to this one, has someone trying to buy it. If they back out, I'll try to get that one as well.

Yep. It's actually going to be a "soil analysis" pit. 6'x6'x6' with 2' steps. Atleast that is what I was told it needs to be when I called last week. But I will double check when it is time.
Until then, I'll get the permit to camp out there.

Yep. It appears that that the county requires a conditional use permit for anything that isn't farming. After reading a lot of county regs, I'm surprised I don't need a permit to walk across the property.
Well I'd like to make a smart azz remark about that damn state, and it's idiot laws, but I'm guessing a lot of states have that low. But I would think most states wouldn't enforce it.
When my father in law talks about Damascas and how it's fair to get approval to cut your own tress, I just check out. I have to. I will say something really rude...

Go ahead and make a remark. Won't hurt my feelings.
Don't have to worry about getting approval to cut down trees, no trees yet.

I'll be getting an air rifle for varmints. If I can get my EOTech sold, I'll be getting that and a GPS to go out and survey the property.

When I first moved to Bonanza in Klamath County 10 years ago the building inspectors were all great, except for one young one that came up from California. The contractors and even the other inspectors hated him. I moved in a used manufactured home and I subcontracted all of the cement work for the runners, septic and setup. I dug the ditches and ran the electric from our access road myself and installed the meter and shut off boxes myself as well as the water lines. I built a pump house which is the worst constructed building on the place. The inspector who inspected the electric shut off box on the back of the building didn't say a word. I had the bad luck of getting the upstart inspector for the final inspection. Birds had pecked some holes in the screens over the vent openings in the eves and he refused to approve the final. He also didn't like the milled juniper 5x5 inch posts on my deck. That was ten years ago. Starlings are still nesting in my attic, my deck is as solid as ever and I have never heard from the county about the final. We have a 2000 square foot home on five beautiful acres that cost us $70,000 total including the land. It's not a mansion but it's paid for. Our property taxes are $500. Not a bad way to go.

I have another property a few miles away. Every year I get a notice from the county. There is an old guy that lives in a travel trailer on the adjacent parcel who applies for a C.U.P. once a year for a recreational vehicle. The county wants to know if I have any complaints about the application. I guess if I don't care they don't care.

Drove out there yesterday to meet with the representative to locate all the survey markers and view the property. HOLY CRAP, I should have taken my cane with me. I was using the t-posts as a cane, but once I drove the last one in, I realized it was a long freakin walk back.
Anyways, all 4 corners were marked. The NE corner is a government cap/marker, the other 3 are rebar sticking about 3 inches out of the ground (now with t-posts so I can find them easier) and there are rebar markers at the halfway point on the line.
The west line of the 40 acres I'm buying and the east line of the property next to it are marked on the easement, so there is a nice 60 foot gap which provides a perfect spot for a road. Though I do have to put in a culvert (or try to get the county to do it) to go from the county road, over a county maintained ditch, and onto the easement.
Realtor is getting all the paperwork prepared and said it will be to me next week to review. Once everything is done, and there are a couple days without rain/snow, I will go out and set the t-posts in concrete and put some at the pins that are halfway also. Then I will put some 10 foot pvc pipe over the posts so I can mark out the easement all the way to the road to figure out the culvert location.

Last Edited:
Got 40 acres. BLM land to the N and E, private land to the S and W.
Got the access and driveway permits, and had some clearing done. Not going to build for now, just going to put in gravel as I can afford to (if I can get any of the contractors to reply). Maybe set up a "dry" rv spot to park my trailer on a few days at a time when travelling.
No trees, but I do have some 6ft + sagebrush. Get to watch the fighters do their dogfight training overhead out there.
20170823_182655.jpg
20170823_092253.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews