JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Okay, so I have about 750$ of Christmas money burning a hole in my pocket, and i'm looking to ya'll for help deciding how best to use it...

I could get a Marlin lever action .30-30 in stainless steel, or the blued version for a little less...
or
I could get a long range gun, something in 7mm or .270 or similar, something I could use for elk eventually...
or
I could get some upgrades for my carry gun, a S&W Shield 9mm, I was thinking some Ameriglo cap sights, or XS big dots, some kind of night sight, and a magazine capacity upgrade from MagGuts, maybe a laser/flashlight, but that would require a new holster... (I already put an Apex trigger on it) And there would be some leftover, which would probably go to ammo...

Let me know what you think...

Last Edited:
I love lever guns but I would never buy a new one. Too many cool old ones to be had. Besides you can get a used 30/30 for half that amount and it will look better and probably shoot better than new.
JMHO
I always go buy more guns and then more guns
Then I sell half to make the ones I kept equipped like they should be.
So I vote upgrade the gun(s) you have if you feel they need it
Heck if that doesn't take 750 then buy a nice used 30/30;)

Find a nice used Winchester 94 .22 magnum.
Handy little walking around gun. ;)

DSCN3007.JPG

Typical New member..... Post and no response to our suggestions.

Money burning a hole in his pocket. Maybe a case of instantaneous combustion.
LMAO!

Typical New member..... Post and no response to our suggestions.

Money burning a hole in his pocket. Maybe a case of instantaneous combustion.
LMAO!

Hang on, some people don't live for this stuff and have other interests. Maybe lots of hours working to afford the finer guns in life. You never know? Maybe dude is used to boards that move much slower than NWFA? Here you can post a question and have a dozen replies in 5 minutes. Two pages over night.

Hang on, some people don't live for this stuff and have other interests. Maybe lots of hours working to afford the finer guns in life. You never know? Maybe dude is used to boards that move much slower than NWFA? Here you can post a question and have a dozen replies in 5 minutes. Two pages over night.
Yeah gotta bunch of folks with no life but here:rolleyes:

haha! Sorry for any delay, I actually spent most of my morning trying to find a pawn shop/local gun shop that was open on New Year's Eve, which I didn't realize was a business closure type of holiday! And yes, this thing got a lot more responses a lot quicker than I was expecting...

Trying to find a used gun is honestly a little nervousing, because I don't know enough to be able to pick out a good gun from a bad gun...
Today I found a used Marlin 336 with a fairly dinged up stock, but otherwise seemed fine, a used Winchester 94 in decent condition, and another Marlin the shop owner said they stopped making in 1935, but that this one was a gunsmith gun and was made in 1945...

I do reload a little bit, for myself and for my father-in-law...

Oh, and McChucklenuts is something I got from Castle...

Alright...

I appreciate everyone's input very much! I've learned quite a bit throughout this process, so thank you very much for that as well...

I think I'm going to end up buying a lever action .30-30, in stainless steel if my gun shop can get it for the right price, blued if I can't... And I'm wanting to buy new, because though my family doesn't have a shooting tradition, or guns for that matter, the passing on of guns to my children is something I want to start, with my first kid coming in June. And while a pawn shop find might be a better deal, and maybe slightly better in terms of quality or accuracy, using a gun of which I do not know the history doesn't feel quite right for starting a family tradition...

A long range gun is an intriguing idea, but where I hunt in Oregon, shots aren't really ever much further than 200 yds, with my last deer being closer to 50. And the the slower, heavier bullets of a brush gun would work well in the woods and shrubbery of Oregon's high desert. I've known a couple deer get away from our hunting party due entirely to a deflected bullet...

Also, it will be easier to get the 50-100$ for upgrades than it would be to get the much larger chunk of money it takes for a whole new gun...

Thank you again for your thoughts and opinions!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top