JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would go for a Marlin but in 444, I already have the 30-30, 35 Rem, 45-70, 44 Mag and 39D :D

seriously though... get a 30-30 from a pawn shop, I just picked up a beautiful little 1976 336A 30-30 for $250.00 and it looks like it was a safe queen.. the action isnt even broke in yet.

I Love levers

IMG_20170120_194452962.jpg

Well, for those viewers still watching, there she is... brand new Marlin 336ss in .30-30...

Sorry to those who recommended finding a pre-Remlin or JM stamped used one, but I figured if I'm going to try to start a family tradition of handing down guns and such, I'd rather do it with a new gun...

It shoots like a dream, and the action itself is smooth as butter... Some of the edges are a little square and sharp, but those will be worn down soon enough. It's as accurate as I could wish for, though I haven't shot much past 100 yards, I was able to chase a bottle across the ground, and punch holes in a 1/4" thick 3" diameter steel plate at 50 yards...

Of course, 40 rounds through the gun and the rear band screw snapped in half... So for those of you who suggested the quality of the newer guns might be iffy, congratulations, you've made me a believer... Looking it up online, it seems like it's a common issue... I called Marlin for a new screw, but in the meantime found one at a local gunsmith's shop... Which broke after about 10 rounds...

I'm going to take a look this weekend to see if there's any movement in the magazine tube that might be causing the barrel notch to slam up on that screw... Also going to check that the barrel notch is large enough and lined up with the rear band itself, and a couple other things. I might bring in some silicone lube if things aren't going well, and if it gets really nasty, I might go after Marlin for the warranty...

Back on the plus side, if anybody in Southern Oregon is looking to purchase or sell a firearm, I highly recommend Black Flag Armory in Medford... They were friendly, quick, cheaper than most, and have big plans for the future of their business...

Thank you to everybody who contributed to this post, and I'm sorry for the length f this last one...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, for those viewers still watching, there she is... brand new Marlin 336ss in .30-30...

did you get the one with the solid walnut wood stock, or the laminate stock with walnut skin?

Also, I believe they come with all the new guns for a while now but check to see if the magazine follower is orange and has a dimple in the center, this allows you to use the new soft pointed Hornandy leverevolution ammo... if that matters to you.

View attachment 337505
It shoots like a dream, and the action itself is smooth as butter... Some of the edges are a little square and sharp, but those will be worn down soon enough.

Congrats! Nice rifle.

The action will continue to get better and better. You're right about those square, sharp external edges. A friend of mine shed blood on one of my lever guns because of those same edges (and my negligent failure to properly familiarize him with the pinching, biting appetite of a hungry 1894 in full stupid "Rifleman Mode").

We both know better now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews