Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Chore boys and insulation are now silencers acxording to ATF

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by Blitzkrieg, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

2. skydiver

skydiver Sandy,OR Well-Known Member

I've heard rumor that the ATF is going to require all vehicle mufflers be registered as silencers.

Harley motorcycle riders with loud pipes are the only ones excluded.

Better buy a Harley! :)

Stomper and (deleted member) like this.
  3. A.I.P.

A.I.P. UpperUS Active Member

In another example of Van Jones's TOP DOWN stratagey:
    ATF Classifies Chore Boy Pot Scrubber Pads NFA Firearms
    David Codrea | Nov 15, 2011 | Comments 1

David Codrea's unregistered stockpile - for sale "off the books" to the highest cartel bidder. Chore Boy: the most trusted name in unregistered NFA firearms. Photo by David Codrea
    The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives Firearms Technology Branch has deemed “Chore Boy copper cleaning pads, along with fiberglass insulation,” a firearm, subject to registration and a $200 transfer tax, an official letter obtained recently by Gun Rights Examiner reveals. The response to an attorney inquiry by John R. Spencer, Chief, Firearms Technology Branch, offers one of the more creatively restrictive assessments since ATF declared a shoestring to be a machinegun.

The rationale Spencer uses:

A silencer is a firearm per U.S. Code, subject to National Firearms Act registration and transfer tax requirements.

“ound/gas absorbing materials manufactured from Chore Boy copper cleaning pads, along with fiberglass insulation, constitute a silencer…”

Therefore, it is illegal for an individual to replace deteriorated material within an already- registered suppressor without an approved ATF Form 1, ‘Application to Make and Register a Firearm,’” along with a “$200.00 making tax” and “a ‘no-marking’ variance…since there is no viable area in which to apply a serial number to the sound-absorbing material.” Read more

4. Rascals

Rascals Portland Or Active Member

Hitler would be so proud of them.

5. tallshipsgo

tallshipsgo Springfield OR Well-Known Member

Guess I need to bury my stockpile of Chore Boys. :D

Blitzkrieg and (deleted member) like this.
  6. A.I.P.

A.I.P. UpperUS Active Member

Top Down
    Bottom Up
    Inside Out

7. CamoDeafie

CamoDeafie Albany Well-Known Member

for a moment i read "choir boys" o_O lol

8. chase

chase Wilsonville, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Thats just arrogance, everything can be a silencer. Put it in front of the barrel and bam, silencer. Better save up for all those $200 stamps on everything in the house.

9. EMP9596

EMP9596 Two Trees West of Camas, WA. Active Member

The wife was talking about we need new pillows the other day..

Guess I should get her in gear, cause at $200.00 a pop...

OUCH!

10. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Well, they can come and try to take them.

This is just completely ridiculous.

11. locobob

locobob Beaverton, Oregon Well-Known Member

They can have my Chore Boys..... when they pry them from my cold, dead, wet and soapy fingers..... ;)

12. FMJ 911

FMJ 911 Snohomish, Washington Active Member

I got some of those around for cleaning Pans, and other household things.

MOLON LABE!!!! Comon' ATF, just try and take away my household cleaning Supplies!

13. Jamie6.5

Jamie6.5 Western OR Well-Known Member

Don't forget soapy!
    Soapy fingers clutching the still warm and wet chore-boy, the suspect passed into the afterlife,...

14. Partsproduction

Partsproduction Tillamook Oregon Active Member

This reminds me of my recent attempt to make "Armor piercing bullets". My Luger barrel was leading up because my reloads were too hot for cast bullets, about 1200 FPS. I wondered about making bore scraping bullets to fire after a run of cast bullets, so I made some up on the lathe with .040" wide grooves .040" deep and with lands .040" wide, to scrape the lead off. I mentioned it in a forum thread about leading and was told I was making armor piercing bullets and could go to jail! The guy cited the law, but I replied "Surely intent comes into the mix", or something like that. He said no, if you have them you are guilty. I mentioned that someone else had already offered a similar product called "Bore Scrubbers" for sale, no matter.

Anyway, all that to point out that our nanny state is way out of hand. We need to form a replacement government based on the original constitution. We need to add language to the constitution that insures that all the twisted methods of sneaking around the original intent of that document cannot succeed, with expulsion from our country or some other very high punishment to anyone who even tries to abrogate the freedoms within it. It is so frustrating to see the perversions of law that slowly strangle our liberties away from us.

15. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

The problem is we have lost so much of our nation already.. there are huge swaths of no go zone for right thinking patriots.. maybe we need to think about Balkanization and independent free Republics as a temporary solution until we can get strong and retake the rest again. Would it be worth it to be able to tell your children and your grandchildren that you gave your all so that they could be truly free as you go to the artillery training grounds with their new state of the art cannons and not have to fear your own government?

tallshipsgo and (deleted member) like this.
  16. locobob

locobob Beaverton, Oregon Well-Known Member

Ah, could catch.... post edited with better adjectives.

17. Father of four

Father of four Portland, Oregon Well-Known Member

:thumbup:

18. tallshipsgo

tallshipsgo Springfield OR Well-Known Member

It amuses me to no end that according to the ATF a shoelace and a Chore Boy are NFA items but that slidefire/bumpfire (SSA something as I recall) AR stock that COMES with an ATF rubber stamp letter isn’t? I know none of it is really all that funny but I have to laugh otherwise I'd, well, do something else. :D

19. Kevatc

Kevatc Oregon Well-Known Member

Guess I am pretty ignorant when it comes to suppressors. Do they wear out? Would a reasonable gun owner try to "rejuvenate" a suppressor with insulation or pot scrubbers???????

20. jimwsea

jimwsea Vancouver, Washington state Active Member

"There’s no way to rule innocent men. The only power government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren’t enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws." Ayn Rand.