JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm currently mulling over which optic to run on my 9" 300BLK AR15 SBR. It's been pending for 3 months, so I figure I have about 2 months left to make up my mind. Here's the skinny:
1. I won't be running any irons
2. I'm primarily going to run suppressed with subsonic ammo
3. I may us it for deer hunting (range < 75yds and I'd use good hunting rounds)
4. Based on ballistic usable range seems to be 200yds when punching paper (I have a 308 for anything further)
5. I can squeeze $700 but I'd rather keep it sub $500
6. I'm kinda mean to stuff, so the more bomb-proof, the better

I'm currently looking at the following optics:
1. Aimpoint T-1 or H-1
2. Aimpoint Pro or ML3 (I like 2moa dots)
3. A low power variable scope 1xish-4xish
I'm currently leaning towards the Aimpoint Pro or ML3 because of the range of the cartridge and my budget constraints.

I'd like to know what optics you guys are running or if you have any experience with these optics on any rifle. Do you guys have any other optics recommendations? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2MOA Aimpoint and call it good. You really don't need magnification if you're staying within 200yds and a 2MOA dot will obscure less of the target out farther.

I know the Aimpoint with 3x is a popular combo but I dont care for them.

Right now I have a Sweet .22 3-9x40 on mine but I have not been using it much. My plan is to put a CMR on it when I start using it more (maybe this spring). Here is my review on the scope from when I got it, http://www.northwestfirearms.com/general-firearm-discussion/49597-leatherwood-cmr-pic-heavy.html

I have used it a lot this year and have been very happy with it. While it may not be ballistically correct it has the holdover marks you can use to aim with. It is one solid piece and not "flipping or attaching" things as needed. You leave it on 1x most of the time and if you need/want 4x you just turn the ring.

i have the eotech 557 got for $350 used and it is very accurate but if you have an astigmatism in your eyes it makes it fuzzy but if you add a cheap magnifier like a guy on here sells(untamo)for around $100 with fts mount it is a great long range red dot with mildots.
$450 and you have the setup that eotech sells for $900

I'm currently looking at the following optics:
1. Aimpoint T-1 or H-1

Looks like you hit the nail squarely on the head!
The concept of a 9" SBR is lightweight, compact and quick.

The T-1 or H-1 meets and complements all of these qualities.

Lightweight: Only 3.0 Oz.
Compact: Smallest of the bunch.
Quick: 50,000 hours of battery life means that you can leave it on for 5 years straight.

Only decision you have left to make is if you will ever use it with NV or while diving to a depth greater than 15 feet? T-1 if Yes, H-1 if No.

Thank you all for the replies. I'm about 95% sure I'm going with a T-1 on a laure LT751 absolute cowitness mount, but I'm still going to check out some EOtechs and a ML3 to see if I like those better.

... T-1 on a laure LT751 absolute cowitness mount, ....

I thought that you said no iron sights... yet they are actually a good idea.

Top is a PWS Diablo in 7.62X39 with a Aimpoint T-1 on a GGG mount and Troy BUIS.
Lower is a custom build in 7.62X35 with HK 416 irons and an AAC SCAR-H SD silencer.

photo.jpg

Last Edited:
That was in reference to the mount height. I'm going with an "absolute co-witness" height because it's the same height as irons would be, 1.4" above the rail. I checked the height on a "lower 1/3rd co-witness" height mount (1.7" above the rail) and used my dial calipers to mock it up. My head was floating in the air and it didn't feel comfortable.

Thank you for the picture, I'm liking the look of both of those uppers. I probably will add some flip up irons later, it's all a dollar issue right now. I'm going to be almost $1.5k into an upper and optic. Another $1k if you count the 762-SDN-6 I'm waiting on.

Go with an H-1 & save about $100. The only diff is H1 has no night vision capability. I haven't changed the batt in mine in nearly 2 years on constant on. Been in rain, snow, hiking, atv'ing with it...

Go with an H-1 & save about $100. The only diff is H1 has no night vision capability. I haven't changed the batt in mine in nearly 2 years on constant on. Been in rain, snow, hiking, atv'ing with it...

Aimpoint Product comparison

Most notable is the night vision compatibility.

Other important differences include, the hard anodized matte finish on the T-1 along with greater effective temperature range and actual submergibility.

Bottom line, H-1 is a "sporting" optic while the T-1 is a "hard use" optic. More importantly, for about 17% more, why not get the "real one"?

I checked out eotechs yesterday and I didn't like them as much as the aimpoints, so I ordered a T-1 with LT751 mount from larue for $640. It was only $40 more than the same setup with a H-1. Thanks for the advice everybody!

Have you considered a 1.5x ACOG? It's not much bigger than the Aimpoint T-1 but because of the nice objective lens provides an excellent clear view of the target. The eye relief is awesome and the low magnification makes it an easy both-eyes-open optic, but you do have to center the reticle. Pictured is the TA44SG-10.
img0506k.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top