JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Ruger 10/22 with the BX-25 25 round magazine.

I'm going through various 22LR ammo to see what my gun "Likes" and what it doesn't.

I've read somewhere that each rifle will have it's own likes and dislikes where a paricular round is concerned, but wasn't sure how valid that is.

Mine appears to hate everything CCI. (I've tried the subsonic rounds, and the CCI mini-mags, both stick so bad in the mag that removing them by hand is a chore. They just won't feed from it.)

They really like the Remington gold.

I've bought some Thunderbolts to try, and a small box of Winchester Super X.

Before I go out and buy 1 of each little box of ammo, what do you guys suggest as a good rule of thumb?

Plated rounds only? No magnums? No sub-sonics?

Winchester? Federal? Remington? Does CCI make anything that it will throw?

Would I have better luck getting a stock 10 round mag? Other/better Mags to try?

How often (If ever) do you dismantle the BX-25 magazine to clean it? What should I focus on if/when cleaning it?

Last Edited:
All the reviews that I have herd about the BX mag are terrible. fail to feeds and jams are quite the norm. I would get a 10 rounder to try or even a butler creek mag. I only get ftf when we are out shooting and reach the 500-600 round mark. My rifle shoots everything from the crummy little peters to the dirty Winchester wildcats. I mean this things shoots everything.

My wife's 10/22 won't feed mini-mags from it's ruger 25rd mag- but it loves all the cheap stuff. Good news- means I have to clean it more often, but I clean them every time we shoot anyway so it doesn't really matter

I find my ruger to eat everything from walmart bulk pack federals, bulk pack winchester 333's, remington golden bullets (dirty and crappy but feeds and fires), CCI minimags.

Never tried the bx-25 but I do own a butler creek steel lip 25 round mag, and that has rarely jammed on me. don't get the plastic lip

I'd try a different magazine, CCIs should feed no problem and although all .22lr rifles seem to have their own preferences, the mini-mags are consitently the best performers in 10/22s among the "bulk" category (although they are on the upper end of that spectrum).

All I use is CCI Mini-Mags now. Been through a bunch of other manufacturers stuff, the CCI's have been more consistent down-range, and I have never had a failure of any kind with them on my 10/22.

I use factory Ruger 10rd rotary mags.

All the reviews that I have herd about the BX mag are terrible.
Really? ALL the reviews are negative? My experience would put it at around 90% positive reviews for the BX-25 mag. Mine are a bit more reliable than the Butler Creek steel lip mags. The factory 10 rounders are the most reliable.

Of course all this dependent on the ammo. Some ammo feeds better than others.

My 10/22's prefer copper washed ammo and are slightly less reliable with 40gr. lead ammo. My Buckmark and my M&P22 both cycle most ammo just fine. Federal bulk runs fine thru everything I own, with is good because I've got lots and lots of it.

Ruger 10/22? I thought these days it was all about the new AR STYLE TACTICAL .22'S? and boxes of TACTICAL .22lr ammunition to feed them? god forbid a bunch of Godsmack & Metallica fans get TACTICAL with their AR style .22's, this country could be destabilized in a few hours

Neither of mine will reliably eat Remington Yellow Jackets or Golden Bullets.

Same here, while one of them loves the CCI subsonics the other does not and yet will feed American Eagle HPs well

We are soon to try one of my Army 22 AR15 conversion kits with various ammo in my gals new AR15, that will be interesting. Have the original 10 rd mag inserts as well as some Black Dog 25 rd mags

I've run the 25 round mag for around 1000 rounds without any trouble. Most of the ammo I use is Power Points but I have run some subsonics ammo as well.

Several years ago my son and I would go through a case (5,000) with my 10/22 in a long weekend on sage rats. CCI Mini Mag HP's no problems super accurate. Many different mags

My <broken link removed> in the <broken link removed> so far isn't all that picky with 22LR rounds. I have noticed with the Federal brand I believe that it will occasionally stove pop and require clearing, but this could be related to the quality of the magazines associated with the Archangel Nomad. Still though, it cycles Remington Thunderbolt great and without issue, and I'm really looking to get that.

I have heard that shooting any 22 short (which the mini mag is I believe?) in any semi-automatic 22 will cause issues namely due to them being a lower powered subsonic round without enough force to full cycle the round and the action. You will get inconsistent results because of this I have heard. I've never tried it though, and I'd love to be wrong, as they are so quiet I could take down some of these pesky animals around my property without giving the neighbors a heart attack.

I have one of the nomad dressed rugers....i took the mags and polished up the plastic feed lips, then cut a small feed ramp into my barrel. so far it has fed any normal ammo 100%....maybe 99% (cheap, hollow point, shorter rounds, etc) but any high velocity ammo blows out the shell at the feed ramp I cut into the chamber and jams. I have even shot the super colibri rounds single shot from the nomad mags and pretended the fake silencer was real :s0112:

And before anyone cries that i ruined a barrel, it was an old, well used blued one that had all the blued scratched/filed off by someone previous and needed replaced anyways.

You guys are over thinking this! Use the Ruger factory 25 rounders with some CCI Std Velocity ($2.69/50 online) if you just wanna punch paper or tip over cans and be happy! If you wanna kill gophers, sagerats, jackrabbits etc., use Win Power Points in the same mags!!....simple huh?.....yes the factory 10 rounders are prob the most reliable but the BX 25 (or whatever the heck Ruger calls em) are a very close second.

th_054.jpg

Your best move is to ditch the Ruger and pickup an M&P 15-22! I had six 10/22's, now down to three. The M&P is accurate and eats anything you feed it with NO issues. I get tired of the Ruger's being picky. Went to a gun that is fun to shoot and reliable. There is something to be said about being able to go to Bi-mart, buy what's on sale, and know the gun will function NO MATTER WHAT!
I am sorry, had to be said. I have enjoyed the rugers but the M&P is hands down funner to shoot!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top