JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
After months of deliberating, on-and-off, I finally placed an order for a RRA A4 20" Varmint 1:8 Wylde chambered upper. I plant to use it for varminting, 0-300yd, and the occasional 600yd target shooting, in that order of priority. I plan to load 55gr thru 77gr bullets. Not sure how the 55gr will fare but will try.

Now comes the scope and rings/mount. I first looked at the Nikon M-223 series, because they have turrets (one of my top three requirements), but, they are calibrated to 55gr at 3100fps, do not have adjustable objective, and parallax is fixed at 100yd. Having never done sage rat hunting, i am not sure how this will work. My guess is ok but I wanted to spend a bit more (up to ~$500) and get standard turrets, something like a Leupold 6-18x40 VX-2 Riflescope (LEU110817). I'd rather have a 4-12x40 with good/bright (Japanese) glasses. Any suggestions. Side focus wouldn't hurt although I admit at my price range it might be hard. Searched all over my favorite scope vendor, SWFA, and can't find what I want.

I should probably relax my requirements, but not sure what, since I have never done varminting. Also, not sure how good/bad are Nikon's M-223 series is and how serious are the perceived limitations. I do not care to pay extra to ask Leupold for a custom BDC because I do not plan to stick to just one load/bullet.

I am kind of a cheapstake when it comes to one-piece mounts and want to keep 'em under $100. Burris PEPR are fine with me, but I don't care much for the picatini tops. Any suggestions? Am I too restrictive sticking to one-piece mounts?

I am starting to open to the possibility of getting two scopes, optimized for one or two of the three applications I indicated above. But the money I'd spent on two scopes, plus mounts and rings, i'd be probably better of with a ~$1000 glass. Decision, decisions... rrrrrr!

Nikon's spot-on web site has info for other bullet weights. I have a 3-9 with the BDC reticle on my AR and it works great.
Found it, thanks. Since you made me look again, I noticed the 3-12x40SF for the first time. It has regular target turrets so if I end up hating the BDC reticle, I can have a fall back plan. Plus it has side focus!! It is now at the top of my list.

I decided to go the "nice " route instead of the very good route for the AR,for the simple reason that I won't be taking it out in the severe weather and there isn't a lot of kick from the AR to rattle the scope much
I went with the Vortex Crossfire scopes.A 6.5-24 and a 3-9 They were about $200
I kinda don't lie cheap scopes.Always keep in the back of my mind,the scope should be more than the rifle.But then you consider what you will be using the guns for. My bolt guns get great glass for severe conditions and some kick.I will probably take them out in bad weather.
The ARs are my pansy guns that don't see rain or ccccold .
But that just me.So check out the Crossfire line.Heck worst case,it goes on a 22.

BTW,both are 1/8 twist and shoot all weights very nice

Civi, You are looking in the right direction. The Nikon M-223 Series scopes will do whatever you want them to. Since you say you may shoot to 600 yards i suggest the 3-12, now you just have to decide on the BDC or Nikoplex reticle with the rapid Action Turret. That is dialed in for the .223,55 gr. polymer tipped bullet at 3240 fps. I have personally taken both scopes to 600 yards plus and pinged steel as well as blown up 4 inch jars of tannerite. You can also look at the 2-8 which is a smaller scope but also capable of getting you out to 600 yards. New for 2012 is Nikon's P-223 3-9 BDC. Very nice scope, affordable, durable and clear. This scope has literally flown off the shelves of retailers so you may have a tough time finding one. Also, check out Nikon M-223 AR Mount. Very nice, solid attachment to your pic. rail.
Here's a pic of one of my AR's, the M-223 3-12 Scope and Nikon AR Mount.
Drop me a note with any question's guys.

The PEPR mount that I got came with 2 types of top rings, 1 picatinny, one standard. As for an affordable varmint scope, I like the Nikon buckmasters #6469 4.5x14 w/side focus parallax & mil-dot reticle. this scope does not have target turrets, but I suppose you could get some for it. I like the flexibility & simplicity of the mil-dots when the shooting is hot & rats are popping up from 50ft out to 500yrds. I use a 100yrd zero for the load I'm shooting, & use the mils for farther out. Good luck with whatever you decide! Mike.

varmint ar 010.jpg

Last fall I bought a Vortex Viper PA, 30mm tube, 6.5-20x 50mm side focus with a fine plex reticle. Midway ran these on special for $350, a very good price IMHO. Bright with clear glass at full magnification. I don't get as good of clarity with the Nikons or Bushnells. So far this is tracking fine behind a 6.5Grendel.

A scope I just pick up a few months ago from here is a Aplen Apex, a 6-24X50, 30mm with side focus. This has even better clarity at full 24X than the Vortex, amazing as it's about $150 less money. So far this is tracking behind a 7.62 AR-10. If this holds up to the recoil, and I believe it well, as it has a no paper work, life time warranty, I well be replacing a few scopes with the #4058 Alpen.

If I had more rounds fired with the Alpen I would rate it the best sub $400 scope on the market. You can find them for $320 or less. Time well tell.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top