JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
15860948738122056652353837276986.jpg

OOB cartridges are not a generic commodity. Depending on factors like the wad system, pellet stack geometry, pellet hardness, actual pellet diameter, buffer type, etc. will determine how well a particular choke constriction, or lack thereof, will perform.

That was my little joke. Got the same gun you have and went through the same thing. Was seeing if you'd reply. I ended up going with a standard modified choke and just living with it. Makes a spread about chest sized at 60' with a 3 1/2" Remington 00 buck shell. 18 pellets.

Went with a Carlson's.
Carlson's Choke Tube
5.0 out of 5 stars 2Reviews

Carlson's Choke Tube Winchester-Browning Inv-Moss 500-Ported 12 Ga Sporting Clays Choke Tubes, Skeet, Black
Ammo will be
Federal Law Enforcement Tactical 12 Gauge Ammo 2-3/4" 00 Buckshot 9 Pellets
Flitecontrol. I will see how it patterns soon.

The Skeet choke chosen has a nominal exit diameter of .725" which amounts to just .005" constriction. Given that Federal Flite control wad buckshot loads usually pattern tightest with no choke constriction, adding .0005" constriction should not disrupt the pattern. However, Federal does not recommend the use of ported chokes with this wad. The pattern board will tell the tale.

With other conventional wad systems, such minimal choke constriction is usually insufficient to tighten 00B patterns to any measurable degree.

Last Edited:
00 doesn't like to be smashed. Best results I've had was Mod or IC.

Most discussions of buckshot on the forum, center around the use Cylinder or Improved Cylinder chokes, mostly for defensive shotguns.
I suspect most shotgunners are not aware of the many available dedicated buckshot choke options:

Deer/Hog Hunting

Comp-N-Choke: 12 Gauge Deer

Kicks Ind.: Buck Kicker

Contact Wad Wizard - Shotgun Choke Tube System

Carlson's Extended Ported Buckshot Choke Tube Remington Rem-Choke 12

Notice the choke constrictions recommended from most of these manufacturers. Yes, Full to Extra-Full chokes are recommended. And remember these are marketed primarily in the Southeastern states where 50+ yard pattern performance is demanded for deer hunting with heavy 3" and 3.5" 00B loads.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads