JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Honestly I've been bouncing around about my needs and wants for a while. I've been thinking of pistols and CCW, magazine fed semi-autos that cost an arm and a leg, but what I think my needs boil down to are just getting another milsurp in great condition to rely on for multiple purposes. Namely, something I can take with me into the woods, out camping, or if I ever need to hunt for food.

I've already got both a Syrian M48 and a Tula 91/30. The Tula's just a good quality Century import, nothing special, and the Syrian M48 is a safe queen. Admittedly she's a little beat up, but still in pretty good shape, with all the unique Arab markings.

So my question is whether for my needs I should get another Mosin in nicer quality, or just buy one of the normal Yugo M48s in great shape?

I understand the sentiment, but in some respects, that very factor is one of the best things to be said for a Mosin. If you only spend a hundred dollars, it's not an enormous tragedy if the rifle gets beat up through rough treatment, or if it gets seized as evidence and never returned. The M48 is a little bit more of a tragedy to lose, but it has some increased comfort on its side.

Ultimately I guess I'd like to see some opinions on that trade-off.

Weird as it sounds, I'm just fine with either. I like the buttplates on the 24/47s better than either the M48 or Mosin, but it's M48s and Mosins that are easier to find in better condition. Honestly I like my Enfield better than either, but .303 is expensive, and I don't want to haul a Great War vet through underbrush on a camping trip. And good luck finding a 2A these days...

Honestly I've been bouncing around about my needs and wants for a while. I've been thinking of pistols and CCW, magazine fed semi-autos that cost an arm and a leg, but what I think my needs boil down to are just getting another milsurp in great condition to rely on for multiple purposes. Namely, something I can take with me into the woods, out camping, or if I ever need to hunt for food.

I've already got both a Syrian M48 and a Tula 91/30. The Tula's just a good quality Century import, nothing special, and the Syrian M48 is a safe queen. Admittedly she's a little beat up, but still in pretty good shape, with all the unique Arab markings.

So my question is whether for my needs I should get another Mosin in nicer quality, or just buy one of the normal Yugo M48s in great shape?
So..you already have one of each and are debating between a old beat surplus rifle and expensive ccw pistols? How does one even begin to help answer your posts "questions"(?).
I think if you eradicate the liberal demons from your brain, decision making will become much easier for you.

being a milsurp junkie, I would have to say get the M48. I have a a couple of enfields, a few mosins, a pair of M95 steyrs. I have had mauser rifles in the past and need some more. Current model pistols are easy to find, milsurp rifles in decent shape are sure to get scarcer in the future.

The need it to donate some $$$ to pro 2nd amendment organizations and politicians ans well as Sheriffs. that way maybe you can keep the guns you already own. Less for the government to confiscate.

If you don't have a CCW and permit, that's what I'd attend to, friend. That and some H2H training. Leave the Mosins for the Kronstadt sailors. And Cookie is right, some support for A2 defense is only fair. Why should the usual suspects have all the fun?

Hard to beat the very available and only 80-90 dollars per 440 54r when everything else is gone. Back in Feb/Mar when there was nothing on the ammo shelves or on-line, that caliber was.

For me, that puts the Mosin's in the must have category.

Buy it cheap, stack it deep as right now the 54r is the cheapest most powerful thing out there. Heck, I've heard of people spending more on 22LR than what 54r is going for!

So..you already have one of each and are debating between a old beat surplus rifle and expensive ccw pistols? How does one even begin to help answer your posts "questions"(?).
I think if you eradicate the liberal demons from your brain, decision making will become much easier for you.

I'm out of Washington for 9 months of the year and can't carry during that time. If I went home this summer, bought a pistol, obtained my CCW permit, then I'd probably have one or two months in which to carry. Then I have to find somewhere to store my pistol while I head back to antigun Hawaii and continue my studies.

There's nothing political about this. I'm simply going for a purchase I can actually use sooner for its intended purpose.

I like what Coop said though. They are likely to get scarce. I can buy a .357 revolver any time. Literally. They're not about to disappear from Earth or become rarities, but the supply of surplus rifles will drop. I might as well get while the getting is good. And as to what I already have, I picked the Mosin when I was 16. I didn't even know how to check a bore back then. Needless to say, the one I have isn't the most accurate thing I've fired.

I'm out of Washington for 9 months of the year and can't carry during that time. If I went home this summer, bought a pistol, obtained my CCW permit, then I'd probably have one or two months in which to carry. Then I have to find somewhere to store my pistol while I head back to antigun Hawaii and continue my studies.

There's nothing political about this. I'm simply going for a purchase I can actually use sooner for its intended purpose.

I like what Coop said though. They are likely to get scarce. I can buy a .357 revolver any time. Literally. They're not about to disappear from Earth or become rarities, but the supply of surplus rifles will drop. I might as well get while the getting is good. And as to what I already have, I picked the Mosin when I was 16. I didn't even know how to check a bore back then. Needless to say, the one I have isn't the most accurate thing I've fired.

The question is, do you know how to run a pistol or a revolver? Because, if you're going to use a firearm to defend your life, it is more likely to be with a handgun than a Mosin. So having a handgun and getting really good training with a hand gun is foundational, IMO. And integrating that with H2H skills, and situational awareness skills is just as crucial and can be done anywhere, regardless of gun laws.
If you can have long guns in Hawaii, how about a shotgun?

The question is, do you know how to run a pistol or a revolver? Because, if you're going to use a firearm to defend your life, it is more likely to be with a handgun than a Mosin. So having a handgun and getting really good training with a hand gun is foundational, IMO. And integrating that with H2H skills, and situational awareness skills is just as crucial and can be done anywhere, regardless of gun laws.
If you can have long guns in Hawaii, how about a shotgun?

I can operate a pistol. Not fantastically well, but tolerably. I've been reading up on defensive shooting with them. I will be getting training and a pistol, but it'll happen later, when I have more time and money to devote.

As stated at the beginning though, I'm looking for something I can sling over my shoulder while hiking and camping. There are large animals, and for some reason they might be in a bad mood.

And Hawaii, I'd have to move off campus, write a letter to the Chief of Police, and have every moment of my life dug into, and then I'd be told to get citizenship. The result would be horribly expensive and time-consuming.

I can operate a pistol. Not fantastically well, but tolerably. I've been reading up on defensive shooting with them. I will be getting training and a pistol, but it'll happen later, when I have more time and money to devote.

As stated at the beginning though, I'm looking for something I can sling over my shoulder while hiking and camping. There are large animals, and for some reason they might be in a bad mood.

And Hawaii, I'd have to move off campus, write a letter to the Chief of Police, and have every moment of my life dug into, and then I'd be told to get citizenship. The result would be horribly expensive and time-consuming.[/QUOTE

One of my H2H self-defense instructors, an ex-military, very squared away guy, told me this:
'Learn how to fight before you learn how to shoot'. That would have saved me alot of $ when I was starting out..

Don't worry about the big animals unless you are in Alaska. If they are in a bad mood, you probably have it coming.

No one has mentioned an 03ffl yet, for $30 it's the best investment you can make towards putting together a collection. There are some interesting guns coming up on 50 years old, early AR's, semi auto pistols, you may want to check on it. They ship direct to you, no background check, no sales tax, and I haven't heard of a C&R license holder being audited for some time (BATF has bigger fish to fry). Also the discounts you get from Midway and Brownells are substantial on some items.

No one has mentioned an 03ffl yet, for $30 it's the best investment you can make towards putting together a collection. There are some interesting guns coming up on 50 years old, early AR's, semi auto pistols, you may want to check on it. They ship direct to you, no background check, no sales tax, and I haven't heard of a C&R license holder being audited for some time (BATF has bigger fish to fry). Also the discounts you get from Midway and Brownells are substantial on some items.

I plan on applying. I've always been a collector, I'm hoping to get some more Great War stuff.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top