JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This thread got me thinking, I really need to get on it. Just scheduled my appointment with LCSO the earliest available appointment was 05-19-2022, I went with the the following Wednesday as that's my birthday, and as such should be easy to remember.
I do not get it. If Grant County can accommodate an out of state resident in less than a week, what is going on where you reside? Are there that many applicants? Or do you need a new Sheriff?

I do not get it. If Grant County can accommodate an out of state resident in less than a week, what is going on where you reside? Are there that many applicants? Or do you need a new Sheriff?
Honestly I have no idea. I'm in Springfield OR, all permits here are issued through lane county Sheriffs office in Eugene.

I'm going to my FFL later this week when my shotgun gets delivered ( its the same place I'm taking my CCL class) and ill ask the owner Donnie if he knows what's up.

But on the bright side Oregon is an Open carry state, with no permit required so I can carry OWB until then.

Ok got me wondering so I googled " Grant County Oregon" and the population is about 7,000 people, Lane County while still relatively small compared to some bigger metro areas around the USA has about 400,000 people that's about 57x the population of Grant County.

If you scale that 1week ×57 equals 13½ months, so looking on the bright side that's relatively ½ the time.

Don't get me wrong I think states like Idaho a.s Texas have it correct with constitutional carry as it is our right to arm ourselves, and the permit scheme is BS.

But it is what it is, until its not😈🇺🇲🍻✊👊

Linn County Sheriff

Friday 6:15 PM to Monday 1:30 PM...so not even a full Business Day for approval. Probably get the physical card by end of week or Monday.

All online renewal process.

NO! They just don't give a bubblegum! And YES, they need the entire crew at the county level replaced with someone who gives a bubblegum.

Ok got me wondering so I googled " Grant County Oregon" and the population is about 7,000 people, Lane County while still relatively small compared to some bigger metro areas around the USA has about 400,000 people that's about 57x the population of Grant County.

If you scale that 1week ×57 equals 13½ months, so looking on the bright side that's relatively ½ the time.

Don't get me wrong I think states like Idaho a.s Texas have it correct with constitutional carry as it is our right to arm ourselves, and the permit scheme is BS.

But it is what it is, until its not😈🇺🇲🍻✊👊
It wasn't 1 week but less than 24hrs from call for an appointment to license in hand. I know I was lucky because they do not offer appointments every day. Idaho issues permits so that Idahoans can carry in other states. Enhanced Idaho resident permit is recognized in 39 other states.

New Sheriff needed. They are doing a lot of things to punish the many for the acts of the few. What I don't get is why they are punishing CCW applicants. Most are pro-police. That's changing.

New Sheriff needed. They are doing a lot of things to punish the many for the acts of the few. What I don't get is why they are punishing CCW applicants. Most are pro-police. That's changing.
Do you know if there was a backlog this bad pre-Covid? Or is it caused by the massive influx of out of state moves combined with reduced appointments/staffing from Covid?

This thread got me thinking, I really need to get on it. Just scheduled my appointment with LCSO the earliest available appointment was 05-19-2022, I went with the the following Wednesday as that's my birthday, and as such should be easy to remember.
As far as I'm concerned, this is unconstitutional. CCW is a right and we are being denied our rights.

Do you know if there was a backlog this bad pre-Covid? Or is it caused by the massive influx of out of state moves combined with reduced appointments/staffing from Covid?
Honestly, I'm making a presumption and have no idea. I just don't see how it's possible that they used to cut the licenses on the spot and now it takes months. I understand how the appointment can get backlogged but BGCs are almost instant. Too me it seems like instead of making our rights a priority their attitude is "we will get around to it when we get around to it". I could be wrong but I like to think I am right all the time 😂

Honestly, I'm making a presumption. I just don't see how it's possible that they used to cut the licenses on the spot and now it takes months. I understand how the appointment can get backlogged but BGCs are almost instant. Too me it seems like instead of making our rights a priority their attitude is "we will get around to it when we get around to it". I could be wrong but I like to think I am right all the time 😂
Not to hear them tell it. I bought a shotgun online on October 14th it was just delivered yesterday to my FFL, I finished filling out my 4473 he enters it and said i was 4,000 something in line in the que and it'd likely be about a month before it went through..

My AK-47 in January took about 4 weeks for the BGC.

But on the bright side Oregon is an Open carry state, with no permit required so I can carry OWB until then.
The issue is in most of the large cities, like Portland, it's illegal to carry a loaded gun which, as far as I can tell from reading the ordinance, we are not allowed to carry a loaded gun (without a CCW), this means with an empty chamber and a loaded magazine inserted you are breaking the law. You have to have no ammo in the gun. That and you will likely be harassed by anti-gun Aholes.

Not to hear them tell it. I bought a shotgun online on October 14th it was just delivered yesterday to my FFL, I finished filling out my 4473 he enters it and said i was 4,000 something in line in the que and it'd likely be about a month before it went through..

My AK-47 in January took about 4 weeks for the BGC.
I've had 10 out of 11 BGCs go through within 10 minutes in the last few months. The one that got hung up was because the firearm was not purchased by a person so it was still attached to their BGC that went past 29 days when everything was really bad. I've done a trade, bought used and new, only the one issue. I was waiting at Sportsman's for over an hour and watched about 8 other people who all cleared instantly also. So they can and do clear instantly often.

I've been trying to figure out why people get put on the list. I just moved to OR from CA and thought since all my info has changed I would have to wait but nope. I'm wondering, does everyone else put their SSN?

I'm presuming that as long as your info matches what they have in the system it clears. If something doesn't match it gets put in line. If they can't verify your identity for some reason you get put in the que?? There is another thread that we were discussing this and no one knows.

I've had 10 out of 11 BGCs go through within 10 minutes in the last few months. The one that got hung up was because the firearm was not purchased by a person so it was still attached to their BGC that went past 29 days when everything was really bad. I've done a trade, bought used and new, only the one issue. I was waiting at Sportsman's for over an hour and watched about 8 other people who all cleared instantly also. So they can and do clear instantly often.

I've been trying to figure out why people get put on the list. I just moved to OR from CA and thought since all my info has changed I would have to wait but nope. I'm wondering, does everyone else put their SSN?

I'm presuming that as long as your info matches what they have in the system it clears. If something doesn't match it gets put in line. If they can't verify your identity for some reason you get put in the que?? There is another thread that we were discussing this and no one knows.
Sounds like you have a CHL. People with a license go straight to the number 1 position and people that don't go straight to the bottom. Mine are 10 minutes too.

Sounds like you have a CHL. People with a license go straight to the number 1 position and people that don't go straight to the bottom. Mine are 10 minutes too.
I do not. If you read my previous posts you would have seen that I'm waiting for it. Well, I did not when I passed those BGCs.

The sheriff must be on here and got sick of me beachin because I literally just got it in the mail today. So I think that was 7 months for me. Lame.

Just to be clear, I got 10 BGCs cleared instantly WITHOUT a CHL. Some of those were before I even took the class to get my CHL.

Last Edited:
I do not. If you read my previous posts you would have seen that I'm waiting for it. Well, I did not when I passed those BGCs.

The sheriff must be on here and got sick of me beachin because I literally just got it in the mail today. So I think that was 7 months for me. Lame.

Just to be clear, I got 10 BGCs cleared instantly WITHOUT a CHL. Some of those were before I even took the class to get my CHL.
I don't know then. You were supposed to go to the back of the line not the front.

It took a couple of months for an appointment in Corvallis. The renewal process took a whole five minutes and I got my new card in about three weeks. I asked the woman how many she did in a day and she said usually 12. I asked how many permits there are in Benton County and she said about 4800.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top