JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My experience with Multnomah County Sheriff folk was very pleasant. "Public Servants" to be sure!

Same here.

I forgot a couple months ago to renew mine early, and panicked yesterday when I realized I'm closer to expiration than I thought. Printed the form off the internet this morning, went to the Sheriff on E Burnside (a LOT closer than the old office) waited 5 minutes, got my photo snapped, wrote a check, and left with a temp permit in case this one expires too soon. Slick.

BTW, they now have electronic fingerprinting in the office, versus buying paper and ink prints somewhere else. Check their hours online before you go - they're different some days.

Bottom line? The whole process was extremely handy. So while I find Multnomah Country in general to be a quagmire of ultra-liberal, property-tax grabbing, egocentric, whiny douche-baggery (I'll be out of here in a year), the Sheriff's Office for CHL is excellent!

Last Edited:
It has been long enough ago (about 25 years) that I don't remember what the wait was like when I applied when I lived in Multnomah county. I have lived in Linn county for about 11 years now. Each time my license has come up for renewal, I get a letter from the Sheriff's Dept. reminding me that the renewal is due. I always take the time to go into the County Court House and fill out the renewal form in person(no appointment needed). The clerk takes my money, my picture, the application form, my old license, and gives me a temporary license. Then about two weeks later I get the new license in the mail. To quote a famous YouTube personality, " Life is good"!

Benton County. Appt was ten days out (Aug 11) with license 42 days later. Clerk said they were swamped with applications. Sheriff's office very helpful and courteous.

Just renewed my oregon permit!

They said it would take about 3 weeks to get my new card.

Benton County. Appt was ten days out (Aug 11) with license 42 days later. Clerk said they were swamped with applications. Sheriff's office very helpful and courteous.

Multnomah County. I put my application in early June. Don't remember the exact date. My appointment at the sheriff's office is Oct 7th. Presumably within 45 days from then.

For Umatilla County, I took my CHL class on May 28, 2016 (Sat.), called for an appt. on the following Mon. after the class, received an appt. for Oct. 28th, 2016 (exactly 5 months from class date). I'm guessing it will take up to 45 days for receipt of CHL. So, six & a half months. That isn't a record - is it?

It sounds like applications have dramatically risen in Oregon, but the counties haven't been increasing resources to handle it.

I wonder if there's any kind of legal case here, i.e., deprivation of due process (14A) and right to bear arms (2A) by imposing e.g 5 month wait times.

I just sent in my Oregon paperwork to Multnomah County, and a week later received an appointment date in January.

I wouldn't know. But, I agree with you trigger-happy. I don't know about the rights they may be infringing upon us. But, it certainly seems a little unjust.

At the end of my appt. today, I was told a couple of weeks I could expect something in the mail (assuming it will be my CHL - or denial). If my CHL shows up in two weeks, it will have taken 5 1/2 months from my class date (& initial call after the class - two days after the class for receiving my CHL.

Years ago I walked into the Josephine County Sheriff's jail in Grants Pass planning on renewing my CC. Low and behold the kind lady told me it had expired 2 weeks earlier. Yikes. They did not ask nor did I tell.

They renewed it on the spot. With smiles. No problem. Took about 20 minutes. It expires well into 2017. It was nice to have a understanding with that Sheriff. I do not know about the new guy. Will advise.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top