JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Clackamas County.
I did the online test, application and set an appointment online on a Monday evening. The appointment showed an opening Tuesday at 10:30am for the following day.
They collected the fee and documents. Took my picture and printed my CHL. I left with it in hand. I got mine issued and in my hand in 14 hours total from when I started the online test.

Clackamas County.
I did the online test, application and set an appointment online on a Monday evening. The appointment showed an opening Tuesday at 10:30am for the following day.
They collected the fee and documents. Took my picture and printed my CHL. I left with it in hand. I got mine issued and in my hand in 14 hours total from when I started the online test.
KUDO's to Clackamas county!

Multnomah county

dec20 class
04jan21 app electronically submitted
10jan21 appt scheduled
15apr21 sheriff appt
19jul21 received in mail
cool!

friend took same dec20 class
04jan21 app sent stamped mail
16apr21 sheriff appt
21jul21 received in mail

thanks to this thread we were expecting a 6+ month wait!
made it easier to be patient instead of wondering what was going on.
TP

I just read a bunch of these posts. I am kinda surprised by the wait times people endure. Seems like Clackamas County is just about the only place doing it by the book.
I was informed by clackamas County sheriff office that a CHL is a "Right to issue" in Oregon. Meaning, if you pass the online test and pay them, they must give it to you. (As long as your allowed to have a gun anyway). I keep reading things like " 3 months to make an appointment", "In person with the Sheriff meeting" etc.
I have a feeling it is by design. Regarding the 2 examples I wrote:
1) Call the sheriff office and ask to come in and speak a representative. I will bet money that it won't take 3 months. But if you want a CHL it seems like all the sudden there is no availability.
2) Face to Face with the Sheriff of the county? Why? It's a right to issue state, Seems like a power trip over reach to me. My County (Clackamas) I went to the Sheriff office sure, but I just spoke with a nice lady in a small office who is clearly NOT the Sheriff, but an assistant of sorts.
Also seems like alot of large major counties in Oregon are still using snail mail to do everything. Clackamas is 95% automated through web portals. I am shocked that these other places in Oregon are so out of touch. I feel bad for the others here who have to deal with long wait times.

I just read a bunch of these posts. I am kinda surprised by the wait times people endure. Seems like Clackamas County is just about the only place doing it by the book.
I was informed by clackamas County sheriff office that a CHL is a "Right to issue" in Oregon. Meaning, if you pass the online test and pay them, they must give it to you. (As long as your allowed to have a gun anyway). I keep reading things like " 3 months to make an appointment", "In person with the Sheriff meeting" etc.
I have a feeling it is by design. Regarding the 2 examples I wrote:
1) Call the sheriff office and ask to come in and speak a representative. I will bet money that it won't take 3 months. But if you want a CHL it seems like all the sudden there is no availability.
2) Face to Face with the Sheriff of the county? Why? It's a right to issue state, Seems like a power trip over reach to me. My County (Clackamas) I went to the Sheriff office sure, but I just spoke with a nice lady in a small office who is clearly NOT the Sheriff, but an assistant of sorts.
Also seems like alot of large major counties in Oregon are still using snail mail to do everything. Clackamas is 95% automated through web portals. I am shocked that these other places in Oregon are so out of touch. I feel bad for the others here who have to deal with long wait times.
Yeabut having to going down to the courthouse in Oregon City in the old days was cool because it was in black and white.

Multnomah. Three months wait for the appointment and they told me to expect it to take three more months for my CHL to come in the mail.

I was told not to conceal carry until I get it. So that's 6 months that I am legally denied my rights. It's BS.

So it took 10 months? That's not inspiring.
Yep, have not looked at appointments lately so not sure how backed up it is. They initially said 3-45 days after my appointment I would get it as well, happy it was on the extreme low end of that.

My advice would be to check their availability constantly, never know when a cancellation might happen or appointment opens up.

Yep, have not looked at appointments lately so not sure how backed up it is. They initially said 3-45 days after my appointment I would get it as well, happy it was on the extreme low end of that.

My advice would be to check their availability constantly, never know when a cancellation might happen or appointment opens up.
Good advice.

I already had my apt. Just waiting for it to come in the mail. They said three months but some have said they waited longer. Multnomah takes there time.

I was talking with a long time Portland resident and they told me the sheriffs department used to issue them on the spot. It's all BS now.

Lane county sheriff appointments have been booked 8-10 months in advance for the past 3-4 years. It's insane.

Linn county currently has about a 2 week wait time to get in for fingerprinting. Had my appointment in linn county on august 6 had my license in the mail on the 24th.

My fiancé also had her appointment in linn county on the 13th and had her in the mail on the 27th. Hers was faster likely because she's lived in Oregon her whole life.

Double points for linn county being patriotic and adding a flag to the background of the CHL.

Does anyone know which counties do this?

Lane county sheriff appointments have been booked 8-10 months in advance for the past 3-4 years. It's insane.

Linn county currently has about a 2 week wait time to get in for fingerprinting. Had my appointment in linn county on august 6 had my license in the mail on the 24th.

My fiancé also had her appointment in linn county on the 13th and had her in the mail on the 27th. Hers was faster likely because she's lived in Oregon her whole life.

Double points for linn county being patriotic and adding a flag to the background of the CHL.

Does anyone know which counties do this?
Do you live in Lane County?

Not anymore.
Nice. I guess. It would be nice if, myself living in Multnomah county, could go to Clackamas County to get the CCP. LUCKILY, renewals aren't as bad as first time CCPs to get. But then I don't know for sure, I got my renewal before the rona. The MultCo Sheriffs office is all boarded up because the dirt-bag rioters attacked it several times.

Called Grant County for an appointment on Sept. 7, 2021, while I was driving back to Idaho. Got an appointment for 8:30 am on Sept. 8, to change the address on my Klamath County issued CHL. After handing the clerk my OR CHL, she asked if I had any other permits. I said yes, and handed her my ID, WA & UT permits. She said that I had less than a year to go before my CHL would expire and ask if I would be willing to pay the renewal fees to renew at that time. I said yes. After being finger printed and photographed, I walked out with a renewed CHL at 9:15 am, less than 24 hours after I called to get an appointment. Plus, I paid the old lower fees.

I unfortunately waited until a few days before my license expired here in Clackamas County. I did the online application and paid there also which of course went up in price this month because of course it did.

UPDATE: I applied and paid 5 days before my license expired and it arrived 4 days after, that's 9 days total. Pretty good! I thought I would be without a license for November.

Last Edited:
This thread got me thinking, I really need to get on it. Just scheduled my appointment with LCSO the earliest available appointment was 05-19-2022, I went with the the following Wednesday as that's my birthday, and as such should be easy to remember.

This thread got me thinking, I really need to get on it. Just scheduled my appointment with LCSO the earliest available appointment was 05-19-2022, I went with the the following Wednesday as that's my birthday, and as such should be easy to remember.
That really sucks Di...Really sucks!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top