JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Something is strange in some of these Oregon counties. I applied for my Idaho Enhanced CCW on Monday Feb 3 and got my approval letter from the Ada County sheriff today, Feb 23. The approval time seems very reasonable to me, since it included president's day. It's my understanding that the states send prints etc to the FBI so it seems to me that the wait time should be similar for all states. Maybe, certain county sheriffs are trying to send a message about understaffing/ low budgets?

Just received my CHL in the mail today...40th day. The sheriff's office actually called me last week (day 32 of wait) about an old court case. So I'm assuming the sheriffs didn't start the background check until last week, 30 days in give or take.

Multnomah County.
Turned in app 1/22/19
Recieved email for appointment date of 2/26/19
Recieved permit in mail 3/29/19 (33 days).
Not the worst, my record is spotless.
Lady who did prints said "expect the background check to take 30 days" so she was pretty spot on as I got it 33 days after my appointment.

Out of state (Idaho) permit ... Grant County met us all at Independence Indoor Shooting over in Meridian on 16 Mar, a Sat. I got mine in the mail today (01 Apr), so ~2 weeks. My Idaho one awhile back, as mentioned by @Rotnguns, was pretty quick too.

Definitely appreciated Grant Co. making the drive. They do it a couple times a year. Idaho folks wanting to do it should keep apprised of when they plan their next visit to IIS via their website. You should definitely have your paperwork in order, along with your self-addressed stamped envelope (many did not - it'd be a good racket to sell stamps/envelopes to the unprepared) ;).

Lane county, went in on Wed Feb 27th when it was snowing and almost everything was shut down. Parked across the street from the entrance, walked up, picked a number and when I was looking for what to do next, I heard a woman saying "sir can I help you" spotted her behind a ballistic glass window and walked right up. I had to get some finger print cards for an NFA item so I hit two birds with one stone. I was in and out in 25 minutes. Got my CHL on Monday the third but, they issued it the same day I went in and it was postmarked the 28th. The ladies working there said that due to all the snow, they were getting caught up on administrative work.

Didn't know Multnomah County even did appointments? When I called them last year they told me they did open first come first serve renewals. They told me the days and times, and I simply went down and took a number.
I did find out that being there early isn't good. About 14-15 others were there early too. But when I left 45 minutes later there was nobody waiting. SO best to go an hour after opening, than early.

I don't understand why it is taking everyone else so long to get their CHL in the mail. I was in the Sheriff's office getting my prints, picture, and giving the nice lady behind the counter my money on April 8. I had my license in my wallet on April 19.

Less than two weeks here in good 'ol Linn County!

Although your county is considered part of the liberal hotbed of the I5 corridor, evidently the powers that be have yet to drink enough of the same far-left koolaid that Multnomah and some other counties have imbibed! ;-)

Moved from Multnomah to Clackamas. Needed to do a transfer.
Filled out their online app and set appointment for 2 days later. Went in today, in and out in 20 min with my new permit.
Clackamas is fast! At least for transfers.

I'm glad to hear most of you are getting your CHL's issued in a timely manor! In my case, not so fortunate..

Screen Shot 2019-05-30 at 10.30.25 PM.png

I completed my CHL course on March 25, 2019 and received the certificate in the mail within a few days. Out of sheer excitement, I contacted the Benton County CHL Licensing Office to schedule an appointment for my CHL license. The soonest they were able to give me an appointment was a week and some change, so I scheduled it and showed up on April 9, 2019 to complete my fingerprinting and all that good stuff. At the end, I was told it usually takes 4-6 weeks to get it in the mail. I called on Thursday, May 23, 2019 to see if I could get an update on the status of my application. I was told not to worry, I am #3 on the list of applications and it should be sent out by the end of that day.

I wait until Monday, May 27, 2019 but still no luck, so I call back for a second time to inquire. This time she was clearly annoyed that I was calling again. Sorry Katie, I get it.. But I am a bit annoyed too. She was short and to the point, stating it could have gone out in todays or tomorrows (Tuesdays) mail.

It's now Thursday night, May 30, 2019 at about 11pm. I've checked my mailbox at least 3 times today and I still do not have my god damn license. At this point, if I don't have it by Monday I will be calling them every morning to get an update.

What's the record on this thread for longest time it has taken to get your license in the mail after fingerprinting? At this rate I'll bet $10 I can beat it to anyone willing :)

UPDATE (June 3, 2019):
It FINALLY came in the mail this morning!

Last Edited:
I'm glad to hear most of you are getting your CHL's issued in a timely manor! In my case, not so fortunate..

View attachment 585112

I completed my CHL course on March 25, 2019 and received the certificate in the mail within a few days. Out of sheer excitement, I contacted the Benton County CHL Licensing office to schedule an appointment for my CHL license. The soonest they were able to give me an appointment was a week and some change, so I scheduled it and showed up on April 9, 2019 to complete my fingerprinting and all that good stuff. At the end, I was told it usually takes 4-6 weeks to get it in the mail. I called on Thursday, May 23, 2019 to see if I could get an update on the status of my application. I was told not to worry, I am #3 on the list of applications and it should be sent out by the end of that day.

I wait until Monday, May 27, 2019 but still no luck, so I call back for a second time to inquire. This time she was clearly annoyed that I was calling again. Sorry Katie, I get it.. But I am a bit annoyed too. She was short and to the point, stating it could have gone out in todays or tomorrows (Tuesdays) mail.

It's now Thursday night, May 30, 2019 at about 11pm. I've checked my mailbox at least 3 times today and I still do not have my god damn license. At this point, if I don't have it by Monday I will be calling them every morning to get an update.

What's the record on this thread for longest time it has taken to get your license in the mail after fingerprinting? At this rate I'll bet $10 I can beat it to anyone willing :)
Yeah, that's some BS. No one should have to wait that long.

View attachment 585112

I completed my CHL course on March 25, 2019 and received the certificate in the mail within a few days. Out of sheer excitement, I contacted the Benton County CHL Licensing office to schedule an appointment for my CHL license. The soonest they were able to give me an appointment was a week and some change, so I scheduled it and showed up on April 9, 2019 to complete my fingerprinting and all that good stuff. At the end, I was told it usually takes 4-6 weeks to get it in the mail. I called on Thursday, May 23, 2019 to see if I could get an update on the status of my application. I was told not to worry, I am #3 on the list of applications and it should be sent out by the end of that day.

They legally only have 45 days to put it in the mail and you have now waited 50 days. I would call and just flat out tell them that. Tell them you need a real confirmation that it went out already.

But hey could be worse, my buddy just told me he scheduled his multnomah appt and they gave it to him SIX WEEKS out. Plus they'll for sure take another 6 to send it to him.

Yeah, that's some BS. No one should have to wait that long.

I'm doing my best to be understanding :(

They legally only have 45 days to put it in the mail and you have now waited 50 days. I would call and just flat out tell them that. Tell them you need a real confirmation that it went out already.

True, true. I'm going to be patient for another week or so, I should pick my battles wisely on this one. I'll look into the laws on 45 days to mail it - if that holds any ground I may actually bring this up in a week if I still haven't gotten it. Ugh, I just hope it comes in by Monday or Tuesday, I'm moving this weekend and would have to go through some hurdles if I still don't have it by the end of next week... (when I hand my keys in).

But hey could be worse, my buddy just told me he scheduled his multnomah appt and they gave it to him SIX WEEKS out. Plus they'll for sure take another 6 to send it to him.

Wow.... I would be off the charts if I were him.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads