JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Not seeking legal advice. Any insight on other's past experiences on this would be helpful.

I just got differing answers on two phone calls. I just moved from Marion County to Multnomah County. I called into Multnomah County the week of my move to inquire about how to transfer my CHL. The guy on the phone tells me submit the online transfer application, pay the $30 plus $5 fee, and wait for my appointment. I asked him if my Marion County CHL would still be valid until my Multnomah County CHL is issued. He tells me yes, your Marion County CHL is still valid, be sure to keep it with you until your appointment. At the appointment you will get a receipt, and you will keep that receipt until the CHL arrives.

I called back in today to ask for clarification on if, while in Multnomah County, I can have a magazine in or with my firearm while carrying. I heard Portland/ Multnomah made some changes on that but wasn't sure if that applied to CHL holders.

The guy from today tells me there shouldn't be a change on what you can and cant do with you CHL coming from Marion to Multnomah. Then he states, but since you moved, your CHL is no longer valid, and you cannot carry until you get a receipt for your background check, which occurs during your appointment.

I told him that I actually asked that question to someone helping me with how to transfer, and they said it would still be valid. He says, yeah well a co-worker just confirmed it is no longer valid because it must match the address in which you reside to remain valid.

So to sum this up, I have/ had a valid Marion Co. CHL. Expires in 2023.
I move on 10/01. I do the right thing and apply for a transfer immediately.
I was given a mid Feb appointment date.
I was told I can continue to carry.
10/28 I was told I cannot carry until after the appointment.

So that's it? Do everything correct and get carry rights basically suspended for nearly half a year? When I moved from Linn Co. to Marion Co. 2 years back, I walked in with my Linn CHL and literally walked out the door with my new Marion CHL.

Kicker here is the State apparently still recognizes the Marion CHL as valid. I just used my Marion County CHL to make a purchase after I moved (while using secondary documentation to confirm my new/ current Mult. Co. address) and got an instant approval. Not the same thing at all, but if the State will approve a purchase with it, how is it no longer valid?

When do you expect your driver license address update? I'd suspect you get your Multnomah CHL before the DMV bothers to do their job.

The 2nd guy is full of crap, unless you wait years to make the transfer. If you make the change in a timely matter you CHL is still valid, just like a drivers licence. All they want is your money, go give it them and don't worry about it.

When do you expect your driver license address update? I'd suspect you get your Multnomah CHL before the DMV bothers to do their job.
I changed my address online with the DMV a few minutes prior to applying to transfer my transfer CHL. My new ODL arrived about 7-10 days later.

Clackamas, Columbia and Washington counties were out of the question?
Clackamas County was the goal. Unfortunately the house that fit the bill was about 4 miles outside of Clackamas County. Had already sold my house and had to be out. If I waited any longer, we would've ended up having to rent somewhere. The wife wanted no parts of renting with deposits and such, and multiple moves.

Clackamas County was the goal. Unfortunately the house that fit the bill was about 4 miles outside of Clackamas County. Had already sold my house and had to be out. If I waited any longer, we would've ended up having to rent somewhere. The wife wanted no parts of renting with deposits and such, and multiple moves.
Bummer!

You say you're not looking for legal advice yet it sure sounds like you are. My suggestion is to get a lawyer to give you an answer. Or carry anyway. Or don't carry at all. Clearly, asking the people who we pay to know these things got you nowhere and you won't get a good one, anyway.

Please help me with the OP problem(s).....

Isn't an Oregon CHL valid anywhere in Oregon? What difference does it make where it was issued?

(Following)

:s0093:

Please help me with the OP problem(s).....

Isn't an Oregon CHL valid anywhere in Oregon? What difference does it make where it was issued?

(Following)

:s0093:
They're issues by the country you reside in, so if you move, you need to get a new CHL from the county.

If it's CONCEALED than no one knows your carrying. If you get my drift….

They're issues by the country you reside in, so if you move, you need to get a new CHL from the county.
Those issues are even deeper - as technically, your CHL must match the address of your driver license. So if you move, within the county that issues your permit, your CHL is still not technically valid until you get it reissued with the correct address.

Not seeking legal advice. Any insight on other's past experiences on this would be helpful.

I just got differing answers on two phone calls. I just moved from Marion County to Multnomah County. I called into Multnomah County the week of my move to inquire about how to transfer my CHL. The guy on the phone tells me submit the online transfer application, pay the $30 plus $5 fee, and wait for my appointment. I asked him if my Marion County CHL would still be valid until my Multnomah County CHL is issued. He tells me yes, your Marion County CHL is still valid, be sure to keep it with you until your appointment. At the appointment you will get a receipt, and you will keep that receipt until the CHL arrives.

I called back in today to ask for clarification on if, while in Multnomah County, I can have a magazine in or with my firearm while carrying. I heard Portland/ Multnomah made some changes on that but wasn't sure if that applied to CHL holders.

The guy from today tells me there shouldn't be a change on what you can and cant do with you CHL coming from Marion to Multnomah. Then he states, but since you moved, your CHL is no longer valid, and you cannot carry until you get a receipt for your background check, which occurs during your appointment.

I told him that I actually asked that question to someone helping me with how to transfer, and they said it would still be valid. He says, yeah well a co-worker just confirmed it is no longer valid because it must match the address in which you reside to remain valid.

So to sum this up, I have/ had a valid Marion Co. CHL. Expires in 2023.
I move on 10/01. I do the right thing and apply for a transfer immediately.
I was given a mid Feb appointment date.
I was told I can continue to carry.
10/28 I was told I cannot carry until after the appointment.

So that's it? Do everything correct and get carry rights basically suspended for nearly half a year? When I moved from Linn Co. to Marion Co. 2 years back, I walked in with my Linn CHL and literally walked out the door with my new Marion CHL.

Kicker here is the State apparently still recognizes the Marion CHL as valid. I just used my Marion County CHL to make a purchase after I moved (while using secondary documentation to confirm my new/ current Mult. Co. address) and got an instant approval. Not the same thing at all, but if the State will approve a purchase with it, how is it no longer valid?
OMG is it just me or did you just admit to lying on the form & buying a gun associated with the old address?

Keep this up & you won't even be able to legally own guns

My friends house is solidly in Beaverton but has a Portland address. Go figure.

Does the CHL website say you need to make an appointment to transfer? When I renewed mine recently online (Washington Co) it came back under 2 weeks. Different county but shows the ability of a fast return. My previous face to face renewal took maybe 10 mins.

The only problem is when I did my last renewal there was no option to talk to anyone. Not sure if you can go into any pdx offices.

My friends house is solidly in Beaverton but has a Portland address. Go figure.

Does the CHL website say you need to make an appointment to transfer? When I renewed mine recently online (Washington Co) it came back under 2 weeks. Different county but shows the ability of a fast return. My previous face to face renewal took maybe 10 mins.

The only problem is when I did my last renewal there was no option to talk to anyone. Not sure if you can go into any pdx offices.
Yes, they told me I needed an appointment for the transfer. Soonest appointment was 5 months out. I could go into the pdx office, however, from what it sounds like, Multnomah County doesn't have an actual process that allows you to remain valid while awaiting your transfer. In other counties you can walk in with you old CHL, and walk out with your new CHL, without a lapse in validity. I know that from personal experience.

OMG is it just me or did you just admit to lying on the form & buying a gun associated with the old address?

Keep this up & you won't even be able to legally own guns
Keep this up?!? How about asking a question to the OP to get some clarity, and then waiting for a response? That would've saved us both some time. Instead, you opted to make assumptions, insinuate that someone has committed a crime based off your assumptions, and then conclude with a statement about them not being able to own guns.

I did not admit to, nor did I buy a gun with an old address. I bought a gun with my CHL and my current driver's license, of which displays my new/current address. I did not put my old address on the form, nor did I say that I did so in my original post. You can use secondary government issued ID/documents for proof of address. As such, the clerk ran the background check using my CHL for photo identification, and my ODL as proof of address. This resulted in an instant approval, as it always has, when using my CHL.

There is a statute if you care to look it up.... but you probably don't.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top