JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
bubblegum, I think that one already exists...
Yes, it is called the 2nd amendment. But we all know what the feds, the states and the courts have done to it.

Let's just make a law at the Federal level that says we can have loaded firearms on our persons (concealed or not) at all times without seeking prior government approval. That would clear everything up.
The House passed the H.R.822 - National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011. Later, the <broken link removed> . But, this is what happened:
Unfortunately, the National Right-to Carry Reciprocity Act never made its way through the Senate (it came close, two votes shy of the 60 needed to overcome the filibuster), thanks to a coordinated effort by New York City Mayor Bloomberg's organization, Mayors Against Illegal Guns, and Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) who submarined the bill by arguing it threatened public safety and would put police officers at greater risk. (link to article)

The most often cited (by Legislators) reason for not having reciprocity in Oregon is that other states have lower standards/fewer requirements than Oregon, Washington being an often-cited example.

That is true, but they even refuse reciprocity with states having more stringent requirements than Oregon. We just need to get rid of this whole notion that a CHL is even needed in the first place.

It is really about the $$$$! My wife is an RN and works at Kaiser. For the last few years she has been required to carry a Washington nursing license because she treats patients from Washington. Really? Washingtons bit of paper makes her competent to treat Washingtonians? There is no test or anything BTW. And it's bloodi expensive! Same with any other type of permit, including CHLs.

Cui Bono, who profits?

I'm guessing that requirement is made up by Kaiser and not the state of Oregon. Washington certainly has no jurisdiction in Oregon.

Why would it be about the money? $50 paid every 4 years to the counties from 6% of the population is motivating the Oregon Attorney General to refuse reciprocity with other states? Let's not get off on conspiracy theories.

What conspiracy! Goverments suck money wherever thay can! Simple enough. My understanding is that it is mandated by Washington. Big surprise! More when I have more info. BTW, whether I'm right or wrong don't accuse me of being a conspiracy theorist.

I am all in favor of a "2nd Amendment Carry Permit" Kind of like Vermont.
http://handgunlaw.us/states/vermont.pdf

But - we also do not have a definition of "adult" which we need.
Is it 16, 18, 21? Some other age.
How about the blind or mentally defective?
Felons - is that forever, or just while you are serving your penalty?
What if you are in a domestic dispute?

How about exceptions to the age for Adult if someone has completed military training and is currently in the military - active, reserve, guard, or, IRR, OR,
Someone who was in the military and was discharged - honorable or general?

However, since we do not have that...
I have an unfavorable view - I think there should only be reciprocity for the state of residence.
For Oregon - if you had a Utah license and are a resident of WA, then no reciprocity.
My reasoning is that states can be held to account for their residents and for their issuing of licenses.

Still, I think that the 2nd should be your permit - if you are a Citizen and an Adult - and that is something we can work towards at the ballot box.

Some people feel that reciprocity for concealed carry would give the Feds extra power to deny CC. I don't see it that way though.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
Defender of Freedom Award
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top