JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So i was just reading todays issue of the Oregonian and the front cover talks about concealed carry here in Oregon and it claims Oregon doesn't recognize any other states carry permits but our own. Can anybody tell me if this is true or not? This is the first i have heard of it.

I don't understand this recognition thing. Seems to me that if all the basic training and info is the same all the states should recognize each other's permits. What's the reason for a state to recognize (or not recognize) another state's permit?

For some states, it's a difference between age limits, the amount of training, or just their desire to completely control things (Oregon and California come to mind)

There's a lot of variation on what you can and can not do with a CHL in the various states.

There is no country-wide recognition like there is for drivers licenses (unfortunately.)

UD

Very suspect as to motives for that article.

Not really. CCW is a hot topic around the country these days. it's on a steady rise.
Oregon and Washington are just following along with everyone else in a "right to carry" state..

Oregon CCW numbers climb, lag behind Washington, follow nat'l trend

Yesterday's Seattle Times picked up a fraction of a Tuesday story in the Portland Oregonian about the jump in concealed handgun licenses in Oregon, which still lag behind Washington and reflect a national trend that finds more people arming up.

<broken link removed>

I have to agree with Burt on this one. Oregon does their own licencing on just about everything, not just CHLs. Tattoo Artist, Massage Therapist, Hair Dresser, most levels Medical professionals, and a few others.

It is all about money. Many like to make a big deal about qualifications, but in reality it is money.

Write the Oregon Attorney General and tell her that you want reciprocity in other states. As soon as OR recognizes WA permits they will do the same and your OR permit will be good in WA. I already wrote her shortly after Idaho instated its enhanced permit and requested all 49 other states enter a reciprocity agreement. I got a reply, but so far no action.

Oregon Department of Justice - Homepage

Here's a good site that covers CHL laws in various states. It also addresses which states observe reciprocity with other states, and which ones.
Handgunlaw.us

Of course, however good the site is, it's still second hand. Your best bet is to go to the individual state you're interested in.
As stated before, Utah gets a lot of reciprocity. Another good one is Arkansas. I have OR and WA, since I don't travel outside of that sphere, typically.

Blame the power-tripping B----y Little Girls in your State Legislature and the various Executive agencies involved, same as in every other state that's not "Universal Recognition".

Better yet, if you all have an initiative process down there, try to round up enough signatures to ram it up the BLGs' collective arse that way. :)

I don't understand this recognition thing. Seems to me that if all the basic training and info is the same all the states should recognize each other's permits. What's the reason for a state to recognize (or not recognize) another state's permit?

but it's not the same. OR requires classes, WA doesn't. Since I'm in OR quite often I have to have both WA and OR. Wish reciprocity would pass.

I have to agree with Burt on this one. Oregon does their own licencing on just about everything, not just CHLs. Tattoo Artist, Massage Therapist, Hair Dresser, most levels Medical professionals, and a few others.

It is all about money. Many like to make a big deal about qualifications, but in reality it is money.
I think most states have their own licenses for Tattoo's Massage, Hair Dressers etc. But, when my first wife got her RN license she took the test in OR, but it was recognized in WA.

Let's just make a law at the Federal level that says we can have loaded firearms on our persons (concealed or not) at all times without seeking prior government approval. That would clear everything up.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top