Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

CHL recognition in Oregon

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Ttuck, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Ttuck

Ttuck Hillsboro Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

So i was just reading todays issue of the Oregonian and the front cover talks about concealed carry here in Oregon and it claims Oregon doesn't recognize any other states carry permits but our own. Can anybody tell me if this is true or not? This is the first i have heard of it.

2. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

3. Ttuck

Ttuck Hillsboro Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Thanks for the quick response. It was a surprise to me when i read that.

4. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Been like that since the new carry laws were written in 1989

1 person likes this.
  5. huthuthike

huthuthike Hillsboro OR Active Member

That why a lot of people in Oregon get a CHL from another state as well as Oregon's. I took one class to get Oregon and Utah, actually got the Utah one first.

6. Sling Blade

Sling Blade Yamhill County Well-Known Member

I don't understand this recognition thing. Seems to me that if all the basic training and info is the same all the states should recognize each other's permits. What's the reason for a state to recognize (or not recognize) another state's permit?

7. udoggie

udoggie Washington Co, Or. Member

For some states, it's a difference between age limits, the amount of training, or just their desire to completely control things (Oregon and California come to mind)

There's a lot of variation on what you can and can not do with a CHL in the various states.

There is no country-wide recognition like there is for drivers licenses (unfortunately.)

UD

8. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

$$$, always. The issuing state (Oregon) was able to charge a fee. A Washington permit for instance didn't contribute anything to Oregon's piggy bank. All about revenue.

9. CoastRange57

CoastRange57 Western Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

10. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

11. Dave Workman

Dave Workman Western Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Not really. CCW is a hot topic around the country these days. it's on a steady rise.
    Oregon and Washington are just following along with everyone else in a "right to carry" state..

Oregon CCW numbers climb, lag behind Washington, follow nat’l trend

Yesterday’s Seattle Times picked up a fraction of a Tuesday story in the Portland Oregonian about the jump in concealed handgun licenses in Oregon, which still lag behind Washington and reflect a national trend that finds more people arming up.

Oregon CCW numbers climb, lag behind Washington, follow nat?l trend - Seattle gun rights | Examiner.com

12. Morpheus

Morpheus Columbia Gorge Anyway, back on the farm.

I have to agree with Burt on this one. Oregon does their own licencing on just about everything, not just CHLs. Tattoo Artist, Massage Therapist, Hair Dresser, most levels Medical professionals, and a few others.

It is all about money. Many like to make a big deal about qualifications, but in reality it is money.

13. Steve M

Steve M Beaverton, OR Well-Known Member

Write the Oregon Attorney General and tell her that you want reciprocity in other states. As soon as OR recognizes WA permits they will do the same and your OR permit will be good in WA. I already wrote her shortly after Idaho instated its enhanced permit and requested all 49 other states enter a reciprocity agreement. I got a reply, but so far no action.

Oregon Department of Justice - Homepage

14. 97321

97321 Albany Active Member

Here's a good site that covers CHL laws in various states. It also addresses which states observe reciprocity with other states, and which ones.
    Handgunlaw.us

Of course, however good the site is, it's still second hand. Your best bet is to go to the individual state you're interested in.
    As stated before, Utah gets a lot of reciprocity. Another good one is Arkansas. I have OR and WA, since I don't travel outside of that sphere, typically.

15. Diamondback

Diamondback A cold, wet green Hell Well-Known Member

Blame the power-tripping B----y Little Girls in your State Legislature and the various Executive agencies involved, same as in every other state that's not "Universal Recognition".

Better yet, if you all have an initiative process down there, try to round up enough signatures to ram it up the BLGs' collective arse that way. :)

16. civilian75

civilian75 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

17. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

but it's not the same. OR requires classes, WA doesn't. Since I'm in OR quite often I have to have both WA and OR. Wish reciprocity would pass.

18. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I think most states have their own licenses for Tattoo's Massage, Hair Dressers etc. But, when my first wife got her RN license she took the test in OR, but it was recognized in WA.

19. Steve M

Steve M Beaverton, OR Well-Known Member

Let's just make a law at the Federal level that says we can have loaded firearms on our persons (concealed or not) at all times without seeking prior government approval. That would clear everything up.

20. Barachiah

Barachiah Eastern Oregon at last Active Member

bubblegum, I think that one already exists...