JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Here's the part I have thought about.

So an angry guy starts yelling and gunna kick your a$$ and threatens to kill you.
You know if he does get a hold of you there IS A CHANCE he could take your gun.
Kind of a Catch 22 legalwise I say.
If he pops you and gets your gun,he IS A THREAT to your life now,right?
So if said attacker comes after you,he is a threat to your life.

Do you or the police,without a backround check,know if the guy has multiple black belts or is a ex-boxer gone bad from drugs/head shots?

Amy stated the same idea a 125# guy told me.He is more likely in danger of being hurt than me at 2 ahhh 25 yeah 225#

You never know what just happened in that persons life to make him angry.Maybe his kid was just killed,wife cheated,lost his job.
Or just really needs a fix.

Are we legally supposed to sit down and interview our assailant and ask what his goals for this encounter are?

Kubatons and collapsible batons are legal here in Washington as far as I have seen.Heck a closed knife to the ribs will make a guy think you really stabbed them.

Oh and my feed back score is on target.I guess everyone I dealt with was happy
just sayin jk

Here's the part I have thought about.

So an angry guy starts yelling and gunna kick your a$$ and threatens to kill you.
You know if he does get a hold of you there IS A CHANCE he could take your gun.
Kind of a Catch 22 legalwise I say.
If he pops you and gets your gun,he IS A THREAT to your life now,right?
So if said attacker comes after you,he is a threat to your life.

Do you or the police,without a backround check,know if the guy has multiple black belts or is a ex-boxer gone bad from drugs/head shots?

Amy stated the same idea a 125# guy told me.He is more likely in danger of being hurt than me at 2 ahhh 25 yeah 225#

You never know what just happened in that persons life to make him angry.Maybe his kid was just killed,wife cheated,lost his job.
Or just really needs a fix.

Are we legally supposed to sit down and interview our assailant and ask what his goals for this encounter are?

Kubatons and collapsible batons are legal here in Washington as far as I have seen.Heck a closed knife to the ribs will make a guy think you really stabbed them.

Oh and my feed back score is on target.I guess everyone I dealt with was happy
just sayin jk

It's all about the totality of circumstance. There are several factors you must take into account, regarding both the assailant and yourself, to determine the level of force that would be considered justified.
Age/Gender
Size/Weight
Number of attackers
Location (ease of escape)
Experience/Training (You won't necessarily know about them, but you better be careful if you're well trained)
Disability
Exhaustion (If you're attacked 5 miles into a run, you can justifiably escalate the level of force)
Proximity to a weapon

That last one is often forgotten. I see it as follows... if an attacker can close the distance between you and them before you can draw your weapon, he's in proximity of your weapon. I won't get into a fist fight if I'm carrying because I just brought a weapon to the fight. If he gets a lucky hit in or I underestimate his training, he may end up with control of my weapon.

Anyway, get training, just don't tell anybody.

The non-lethal option is something I hadn't really thought about. Might be a good idea to pick up some pepper spray as a "just in case" measure.

Yeah, I was thinking pepper-spray through the recent dog-attack thread. Good to have, if you just need to dissuade a critter that really isn't after your gun so much as your leg or lunchbox. Also, there is zero chance of my wife ever carrying a gun but a small bottle of spray she might be talked into tucking into her purse.

MrB+
--
Still working my way up to A--

Regardless of what ANYONE says, for me it is as soon as I have a genuine fear that my life is in immediate danger. This includes situations when the threatening person has not presented any weapon.

I have been in one situation where I have drawn but not fired. I was in my vehicle in a situation where just driving off was not an option. Some crazy man came up to my window yelling that he's going to kill me. I called 911 and explained what was happening. When the guy began pounding on the window saying I was a dead man if he could get into my vehicle, I got my pistol and a mag from the compartment under my seat, and got the gun ready to fire. The man asked if I was going to shoot him, I said yes, if he breaks the window. That's when the 911 operator confirmed that I did have a gun, and told me not to shoot. In the two seconds it took for the 911 operator ask if I had a gun, and then say not to shoot anyone, the man decided it wasn't worth his life, and walked off.

By the time police arrived, the guy was long gone. I explained the situation the best I could, and turned over my now empty pistol to the officer that asked for it. (About 8 cops showed up.) This happened in WA, long before I had a WA CPL. The main officer explained a pile of possible charges I could face, and finished by saying, with no victim (meaning the crazy guy) there could be no charges related to pointing the firearm at him. Never ONCE did ANY of the officers even hint that I could be in trouble for having the weapon, or having a loaded gun on me. This happened on a Sunday, and I was givena business card with a phone number to call the next day to find out where my weapon would be released from. It was released for me to pick up the next day. The officer explained that they were taking it in case the guy called and made a complaint about me. That would make the weapon evidence.

I realize that I may have dealt with the 8 or so most laid back cops in WA, and things could have really gone sideways in a hurry. I was very lucky things went the way they did. I DO NOT recommend talking to police any more than is absolutely necessary, whether or not shots are fired.

Just to recap my answer: draw when you fear you will be taking your last breath if you do not draw.

Actually I think most LEO in WA are pretty savvy and I am a little surprised that they put you through all they did considering you called 911 to report the problem and in the end did not fire your weapon. As you explained it, seems pretty straightforward. Where was this exactly(town or city name)

Actually I think most LEO in WA are pretty savvy and I am a little surprised that they put you through all they did considering you called 911 to report the problem and in the end did not fire your weapon. As you explained it, seems pretty straightforward. Where was this exactly(town or city name)

Federal Way. I might add that this was a terrible time to discover the only carry license I had (Oregon) was expired. The main officer that I was dealing with told me to get it renewed ASAP, as well as get one for WA if I was going to carry there.:s0155:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top