JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
At least in WA there is no amount of alcohol allowed while you are carrying. But I didn't see anything that said the guy was drinking. Not enough information. But I will agree that when an officer tells you not to do something it's probably best if you stop and listen to the man.

Police: Man dies in shooting involving PSU officer

Here's a video with the cop telling him to drop the gun before shooting him. What seems to happen is the man loses his balance, falls, the gun falls from his person, and is either in the process of picking up his own gun, or does pick it up and does not follow the officers order during a violent fight. Maybe it was his natural reaction to pick it up, but it wasn't the smart move with cops present trying to secure a volatile situation.

Best way to deescalate the situation is start shooting..... Great.....

From the news article, I find it hard to believe he wasn't drinking at a bar after midnight.
I agree it's likely that he was drinking but I spent my share of time working 2nd shift and we were known to go out for Breakfast. That may also be what happened. I wasn't there and the report simply wasn't complete enough to know what really happened.

Bring on the hate mail, but as a CHL holder you have to make better choices.
YOU ARE NOT A COP! If you choose to intervene there can be consequences, moreover
there was no children or elderly in need so he could have simply called 911 unless there was a damn good reason.

I was taught even if you do not, repeat do not pull your gun out you should avoid at all cost a physical confrontation when carrying, as you can bet there will be issues with you entering into a situation like this.

I can say how do I know he dropped it by accident or was retrieving it and dropped it.
Ask your selves this, its at night you are arguing with a guy, you see him drop his gun and he goes for it?
Would you really wait to see what he did with it?

Police: Man dies in shooting involving PSU officer

Here's a video with the cop telling him to drop the gun before shooting him. What seems to happen is the man loses his balance, falls, the gun falls from his person, and is either in the process of picking up his own gun, or does pick it up and does not follow the officers order during a violent fight. Maybe it was his natural reaction to pick it up, but it wasn't the smart move with cops present trying to secure a volatile situation.
I didn't know there was video. My laptop wasn't loading the article very well.

Yea, not to mention watching the video it seems like he's trying very hard to restrain his friend who really wants to fight these other guys. But the company you keep while carrying makes a difference too. I'm not the kind of man to puff out my chest and be a tough guy, nor do I like people like that who are overly aggressive with something to prove. Unfortunately the guy seemed to want to genuinely get his friend away, but it didn't work and sucked him in deeper. Some petty fight probably over talking bubblegum ended his life pretty much, and in no way was it worth it.

Well I guess had he stepped away his friend would have got a Public Intox, or disorderly and spent a night in jail, but no one would be dead. Seeing where his gun was at dumb as it could have easily been grabbed in that scuffle as well. Bad choice, sorry he died.

The right thing ended up being the wrong choice. From what I understand the guy who died was trying to break up a scuffle.

He probably thought it was important to stop the fighting, rather than watch things escalate. When the pistol fell out and the police were just standing there, he might have thought "If the guy who started this fight grabs it, I could die..."

I don't care if he was drinking or not. Drunk is different than drinking. This place was off campus technically. Also, PSU has buildings all over, because it is not a walled campus or citadel styled campus.

The idea that alcohol is to blame is not what came to my mind. Carrying firearms in my mind means you actively avoid confrontations at all costs, even if it makes one appear cowardly i.e. no huevos. Still even, if only being verbally harassed. Sadly, it may even take a beating or even being maimed before you can justifiably use deadly force (see Zimmerman, and compare with Mike Strickland). Either way, the first mistake was doing what seeming seems right: trying to prevent an escalation, rather than leaving meekly, appearing like a coward.

According to state law, it is legal to carry on campus at PSU for those that have a CHL.

According to the student handbook, no one can carry a firearm on campus unless "expressly authorized by law."

I carried at PSU as a student, and kept both those references at hand in case an issue arose.

Guy reached for a gun when told not to...
when i was a student at chemeketa CC in salem they sent us letters saying they encouraged those with a CHL to carry. i was surprised.

Sad story for someone trying to do good, but it teaches the valuable lesson, don't get involved if you don't have to.

At least in WA there is no amount of alcohol allowed while you are carrying. But I didn't see anything that said the guy was drinking. Not enough information. But I will agree that when an officer tells you not to do something it's probably best if you stop and listen to the man.
I was not aware of the total alcohol prohibition while legally carrying a firearm. Perhaps you could cite your sources?

Ok soooooo
This is a good reason why I use auto lock or thumb break holsters .

And 2nd , why I and family members also have a Real taser at hand also.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top