Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

CHL handgun competency requirements...

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by capdek, Jan 11, 2009.

1. capdek

capdek Oregon Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

I'm planning on getting my CHL through Clackamas County and was wondering if I must take a NRA-sanctioned handgun safety course before applying.
    I've had my IPSC black badge since 1994 and have been a member of the USPSA since 1996. I've also been an action range certified member of Tri-County Gun Club since 2001. I've shot numerous USPSA/IPSC matches over the years and can document all this.
    Can I use this experience to claim handgun competency based on ORS 166.291 (f)(E), which states "Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a handgun through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;", or will the Clackamas County Sheriff's Office insist on explicit proof that i've taken a handgun safety class?
    Thanks for any help or advice you can throw my way.
    DEK

2. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

From what I've heard and seen, if you know of anyone with NRA certification that can vouch for your experience, they can sign a letter saying so, and that can be used to fill competency requirements.

3. wakejoe

wakejoe Beaverton, OR Well-Known Member

Not sure.

We had to take a class, and had to have a certificate of completion, with the NRA instructors "Serial" number and signature. They made a copy of it and stapled it in with the rest of our paperwork.

Just do the class. No big deal. :) Not a good time to try and bend rules in that area anyway.