JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm planning on getting my CHL through Clackamas County and was wondering if I must take a NRA-sanctioned handgun safety course before applying.
I've had my IPSC black badge since 1994 and have been a member of the USPSA since 1996. I've also been an action range certified member of Tri-County Gun Club since 2001. I've shot numerous USPSA/IPSC matches over the years and can document all this.
Can I use this experience to claim handgun competency based on ORS 166.291 (f)(E), which states "Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a handgun through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;", or will the Clackamas County Sheriff's Office insist on explicit proof that i've taken a handgun safety class?
Thanks for any help or advice you can throw my way.
DEK

From what I've heard and seen, if you know of anyone with NRA certification that can vouch for your experience, they can sign a letter saying so, and that can be used to fill competency requirements.

Not sure.

We had to take a class, and had to have a certificate of completion, with the NRA instructors "Serial" number and signature. They made a copy of it and stapled it in with the rest of our paperwork.

Just do the class. No big deal. :) Not a good time to try and bend rules in that area anyway.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top