JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I kinda' messed up and neglected to pay close attention to my CHL expiring. It took a letter from the county to spur me into taking a closer look at the expiration date. Sure enough.....only have about 5 weeks left. Called to make the appointment and the soonest they can get me in is June 14th. I'll have about 4 weeks with an invalid license.

So don't wait for the reminder....I should have been on this 6 months ago.

Drop in, get to know the CHL scheduling clerk.
There are cancellations, and you can be first in line for one. Maybe.

Good plan.....will give it a try.

Mainly just a reminder for everyone to check their expiration dates since this backlog requires much more foresight then I was able to give.

Mine lapsed once but they told me I was OK because I already made the appointment. They said just keep the receipt that I paid the fee with my chl and explain the situation should something happen.

Always best to just renew on time of course.

I ran that by the Sheriff and he said I would not be able to legally carry during the lapse. It's only a few weeks....just wish I would have paid better attention, but crap happens....so goes life.

I kinda' messed up and neglected to pay close attention to my CHL expiring. It took a letter from the county to spur me into taking a closer look at the expiration date. Sure enough.....only have about 5 weeks left. Called to make the appointment and the soonest they can get me in is June 14th. I'll have about 4 weeks with an invalid license.

So don't wait for the reminder....I should have been on this 6 months ago.

Why do you have to have an appointment to renew it??

Wow, Clatsop County I always just showed up and they renewed it. Figure the same thing over here in Jeffereson County.

Oh how I DO NOT miss living in the land of so many people.:s0155:

For Josephine county(check with your local sheriff):

You MUST renew before your license expires if you wish your license to remain in force while your renewal is processed. The issuance process takes approximately 45 days. You may renew on or before the date your permit expires and your receipt will extend your permit for the 45 day processing period.

I was a bit tardy in renewing my WA CHL - did not lapse but I didn't have much time left. I asked the Sheriff's Office if my UT permit would cover if the WA permit lapsed, and they said yes. This is not legal advice. I am not a lawyer, not do I play one on TV.

I was a bit tardy in renewing my WA CHL - did not lapse but I didn't have much time left. I asked the Sheriff's Office if my UT permit would cover if the WA permit lapsed, and they said yes. This is not legal advice. I am not a lawyer, not do I play one on TV.

The Sheriff's office was wrong. If you are a Washington State resident, they do not honor out-of-state permits.

RCW 9.41.073
Concealed pistol license — Reciprocity.
(b) This section applies to a license holder from another state only while the license holder is not a resident of this state. A license holder from another state must carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state.

Same thing happened to me this year and I'm in Columbia county. Budget cuts are so bad they only have one day a week that they have staff to process CHLs. I was disarmed for 38 days due to my oversight.

KUDOS TO CLACKAMAS COUNTY. I and my wife applied online for renewal around March 18th and March 22, and we both received them in the mail today. Expiration was 11 May. IN FACT, I did not realize that they are not supposed to accept renewals prior to 45 days prior to renewal. I applied a few days earlier than my wife, and was outside of the window, but we both got them today.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top