JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
None of their dxxn business. There is no possible good reason to release this info. It will only compromise the safety of the holder. For example if someone has a restraining order against their crazy abusive ex and has a chl for protection and has changed their address without letting said crazy ex know where they are living. This would completely compromise their privacy and safety and allow the crazy ex to ambush them. Have you seen how many murder suicides there have been in the news lately? Is it too slow a news day that the media needs to stir things up to get more juicy stories by getting people killed?

Yes, there is a safety issue here... same one that prevents me from finding out driving license information or vehicle owner's information (ever try and wade through the paperwork for completing a mechanic's lien on anunpaid repair job? You'd think the mechanic was the criminal....oh, and the registered owner gets a notice in the mail detailing WHO was asking, and why.. with full mail information, phone number, etc. Why not do the same for any enquiry on my CPL data?)

But the real issue here goes far deeper than safety or privacy.

It is bad enough we have to ask permission to exercise a RIGHT guaranteed us by the Constitution. (I know the family's rules say its fine if I come to the dinner table along with everyone else.. so, now I ask: Mother May I come to the table with the family? How stupid is this?)

We are also required to pay a fee (funny, I've never heard of a poor person taking a pass on this fee on the basis they can't find enough money to pay the fee.... but they get to EAT.. on my nickel, And get help paying the rent, and....) This has been proven, time and again, to be an illegal restriction on a right.. why no one has to pay a poll tax to vote any more)

We are further required to have with us, at all times, that piece of paper GRANTING us the already guaranteed "priviledge" (right) to carry arms.

And now we are told we will be subject to invasion of privacy and safety for having the temerity of exercising that right which is so restricted.

Again, how about an onslaught of demands to the state legislators to fix this problem, restoring our privacy at least. Let them know that any who fail to support this will be voted out of office next time.

And, perhaps at the same time, starting a campaign to put the issue on the ballot, making it state law that such recirds are not available to the public.

enough is enough. And this is too much.

FWIW This is the email I received the other day from the friendly folks over at the Law Enforcement Support Agency (LESA) here in Pierce County, WA.

Mr. *me*,

I consulted with our legal advisor and our Records division regarding your inquiry about CPL records. CPL information is not subject to public disclosure, except to law enforcement and corrections agencies, pursuant to RCW 42.56.240(4) which states "License applications under RCW 9.41.070; copies of license applications or information on the applications may be released to law enforcement or corrections agencies."

I hope this answers your question to your satisfaction.

Please do not hesitate to contact us again should you have further questions or concerns.

Public Relations Officer
Law Enforcement Support Agency (LESA)
www.LESA.net

Since they refer to the RCW's (Revised Code of Washington) it would appear to me that ALL Washington State CPL licensee's are protected from public release of their CPL records regardless which county they reside in. :s0155:

(at least for now :s0131:)

Here in lane County, Oregon, the Sheriff sent out a notice too, opt-in or out. Most of us that I know, opted out of course

Ironic how MSM (main-stream-media) and local journalist degenerates, won’t write about real political issues or the positive side of concealed carry people savers, such as DGU’s (designated gun use). According to the federal gov statistics, approx 1.5 million DGU’s occur per annum. The latter, means a life or a crime was saved or stopped 1.5 million times. Most in here know the latter.

Why any editor would force any journalist to report on CHL owners is for only one reason…PROPAGANDA!

Hope we get some nice target shooting weather soon, this 11-F degree weather is something we aren't used to!

If you got a letter from "Oregon Gun Owners" your information was already shared by your Sheriff:

https://www.oregonfirearms.org/

12.07.09 PAC DONATION INFO

CHL holders in Oregon are receiving a letter from "Oregon Gun Owners" asking for contributions to their political action committee.

Recipients of the letter include CHL holders whose names and private information where disclosed by the sheriffs in their counties.

We have received several copies of the letter and all recipients received it because their sheriffs had released this private information.

We have also received several communications asking us if OFF is in some way involved in this solicitation for funds. The letter contains this cryptic message: "Normally, printing and postage are its only expenses. This year, however, printing and postage are being provided by another gun rights organization as an in-kind contribution."

As a result, there have been those who believe the Oregon Firearms Federation may have been in some way contributing to this group. We have not.

The letter also states "In 2009 OGO successfully defeated such legislation, including a bill that would have required a 14-day waiting period when purchasing a firearm from a dealer." Actually this bill, SB 953 never even received a hearing and was never a real threat to gun owners.

The Oregon Gun Owners have not only supported and contributed to anti-gun politicians such as Kevin Mannix, they have lobbied for gun control and even attempted to introduce an anti-gun ballot measure in 2000.

In 1999, when Kevin Mannix was a House Rep, he authored HB 2535 with the help of "Oregon Gun Owners." This bill would have illegalized private transfers of guns at gun shows. But it went further. It also illegalized many private transfers outside of gun shows and included mandatory "lock up your self-defense" provisions.

When OFF defeated that bill in 1999, "Oregon Gun Owners" attempted, and failed, to put similar legislation on the ballot.

Clearly, this is not an organization that shares the principles or goals of OFF.

We thank the recipients of this letter for informing us and giving us an opportunity to set the record straight.

Let me start by saying that I do not want my name published anywhere.

The title of this thread reminded me of a story.

Our oldest daughter is in her early 20s and tends to hang out with a less than desirable crowd. Shortly after my wife and I received our CHLs and started carrying, our daughter asked my wife a question about her gun, with in earshot of a group of her friends. My wife quickly quieted her and told her that the gun was supposed to be a secret and that not everyone needed to know about it.

I later told my wife that I did not have a problem with that group knowing that we carry guns. I am sure it makes us "less than desirable" as potential crime victims.

My wife has relaxed a lot on the subject.

Think about what public release of CHL license really means: "Criminals, guns are here. Come (try) to steal them."

Who would wish that upon anyone, even someone with philosophical differences?

Like was said previously, it is intimidation and genuine reckless ill will being exerted here. Fight it vigorously wherever you can. Alert your state representative about it and let your sheriff know you oppose it, at the very least.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top