JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Saw this on the TV News tonight... It made me sad...:(

Link to full story: <broken link removed>

A state court has been asked to decide whether Oregon sheriffs have authority to block public access to information about concealed weapons permits...heard arguments Friday in a dispute that arose after news organizations and others sought to obtain lists of people with those permits...sheriffs around Oregon have moved to keep those records private...say public disclosure of that information would jeopardize the personal safety of permit holders...Open government advocates say those records have always been public...Oregonians should have the right to see who is getting concealed weapons permits from local sheriffs.

Great! Looks like the next step will be publishing the CHL list in the newspaper...then the BG's will know where to find guns to steal!

Better keep training...here they come! :gun12:

I don't understand why they want this information. Records should be kept private. If criminals had open access to CCL holders.. they would know that: The person owns guns, and they know that they could expect to pull a gun off that person at any time.

But I guess people want criminals to know where to steal their guns from, right?

Some whose names have been published have fought back by publishing all available information about the associated journalists.

Of course, this is what comes of allowing a right to become a privilege. We have made great strides over the last 20 years in regaining our rights. We must not grow complacent, we must continue to fight, until Alaska/Vermont carry is the norm.

I feel that if they were to know that I have a CCL then they might reason to think that if I own 1 gun that I might own more. And if they could find where I live then thats it. I work about 8-10 hrs a day. So what if my weapons are in safes, with that much time away from home wouldnt take much for someone to case my place and just strip me clean, safes and all. Not to mention if my teenage daughter desides to stay with me for a while..

Grrr these people make me......:angry: and just want to :gun12: them over

Its DEFINATLEY and intimdation tactic. So on the same note these schmoes are using, lets get the info fo EVERY JOURNALIST who gets a driver license because more people are injured/killed by autos in one day than all year by firearms... driving is a priviledge (arguably), owning/bearing arms is a CONSTITUIONAL RIGHT.

Yes lets publish all the names of gun owners and let the thieves do their thing and then hold the owner responsible for what laws the thief breaks that way everyone has to hire a lawyer!! The BAR will be happy with us wont they.

Yes lets publish all the names of gun owners and let the thieves do their thing and then hold the owner responsible for what laws the thief breaks that way everyone has to hire a lawyer!! The BAR will be happy with us wont they.

Not when the next revolution occurs and they are rounded up and imprisoned and/or summarily executed for being a bunch of barnacles!! :D

intimidationi and fear mongering, that's all. Its the liberal nutjobs trying to make us out to be the bad guys. I am SO glad to see the sheriffs in the various counties standing firm and refusing.

Yeah, if these same journalists and other creeps were to have their private information made public, the shoe wouldn't feel so good on the other foot. Let's hope the courts make a good decision.

Maybe another take would be to enlist some state lawmakers in a drive to put something into state law, making it illegal to publish private information, and specifically defining CPL data as private. Someone down in Oregon has got to know one of their lawmakers to give that a try? If nothing else, get up a petition drive and get it onto the ballot in '10.

I'd also find out which newspapers are behind this nonsense, and begin a campaign to boycott them. Vote with your wallets...... letters to the editor could be used to raise opposition to their strategy. Call out the editors and sit them down to listen.... say, what ARE you on about here? Have you considered what this will mean? THIS is not the action of a free press serving the best interests of the community. Knock it off.....

better yet, find a rich investor and BUY the stinking paper, then fire the bozos who are pushing for this folly.

This is a good reminder to stay up on not just the "laws" regarding your permit/license but also the "regs" concerning the disbursement of what should be your private information, no matter what county/state you live in.

Since I have neglected to check on my particular county/state policy on this matter I think now is as good a time as any to remedy this. :s0155:

I think CHL info should be safeguarded and protected much like how medical records are protected. The journalists could be given general information such as how many licenses are issued in a given county rather than personally identifiable information. The only use for obtaining the personal information would be for intimidation and harassment of those who are exercising their constitutional rights. As such, I would agree with disclosing the personal information of the journalists involved.

:s0112:
I'd also find out which newspapers are behind this nonsense, and begin a campaign to boycott them. Vote with your wallets...... letters to the editor could be used to raise opposition to their strategy. Call out the editors and sit them down to listen.... say, what ARE you on about here? Have you considered what this will mean? THIS is not the action of a free press serving the best interests of the community. Knock it off.....

better yet, find a rich investor and BUY the stinking paper, then fire the bozos who are pushing for this folly.

LOL... The Oregonian newspaper is one of them... and their circulation continues to decline... they're hurtin' units (my Dad just retired from that outfit... he was an electrican there for over 35 years)... some of us call it the "Daily Dead Fish Wrapper", as that's about all it's good for these days.... and investing in a newspaper company is a BAD investment... just ask the NY and LA Times!!! :s0112:

Marion County did the same, but there was also an individual "option" you could choose in the licensing process, to exclude your info from general public access.

Linn County was the same way. As far as i know almost every county in OR is like that. All you gotta do it go on to your sheriffs website and print out a confidential notice like this one and turn it in to your county. <broken link removed>

They can't do this with medical records because of privacy laws...but they are trying to do this with CCW permits?

W-T-F, over?!

I, personally, would want to know about everyone that has AIDS...but they don't disclose that information because of the obvious stereotyping. Nevertheless, it is okay to disclose whether or not I have a permit to the public? Oh, and this is comming from the same government that is prosecuting two sheriff deputies for looking up Obama in the National Criminal Database...so I guess "freedom of information" only applies if it fits your agenda.

Bah!

They can't do this with medical records because of privacy laws...but they are trying to do this with CCW permits?

W-T-F, over?!

I, personally, would want to know about everyone that has AIDS...but they don't disclose that information because of the obvious stereotyping. Nevertheless, it is okay to disclose whether or not I have a permit to the public? Oh, and this is comming from the same government that is prosecuting two sheriff deputies for looking up Obama in the National Criminal Database...so I guess "freedom of information" only applies if it fits your agenda.

Bah!

Of course!! That's the first thing they learn in so-called "journalism" school! :mad:

Maybe i'm off-base, but medical records are property of medical service providers, whereas CHL records are state property. I mean, i can't petition a dentist for so-and-so's dental records, and AIDS carriers aren't required to register with the state. The silver lining is that maybe this will put a fire under us gun owners to demand our right not only to keep arms, but to bear them. (A right is something you don't ask permission for, btw.)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top