JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My wife wants to get her CHL, and is shopping around for classes. She would prefer a class taught by a woman, if at all possible, since she's got a number of questions that really only a lady who has been carrying a gun for a while can answer. Since Clint and Heidi Smith are all the way across the state, and their class rosters are full - I was hoping to be able to point her in a more local direction. Are there any ladies in the PDX metro area who teach a CHL class?

Well...we have a woman on our staff and our office manager is a woman - your wife could certainly call Vivian at our office as a start in her conversation. Vivian is a great resource for both men and women! Besides if you call the Smith's they'll just refer you to OFA anyway! :s0155:

We'd be honored to have your wife train at OFA - I'd say conservatively on any given Basic class 40 to 60% of the students in a class are women and we have somewhere between 850 to 1000 students who train with us annually from all over the world. We've trained a lot of women over the past 16 years we've been in business including those serving in law enforcement and the military. I'm confident your wife will be comfortable and feel right at home. Something for you to consider anyway....

Passing your info along to her, thanks Dan

My pleasure! It would be an honor and privilage to have your wife at the Academy. Please have her call Vivian on Monday anytime after 10 am - even if she just wants to chat for a few minutes with Vivian about her concerns and/or needs. If she get's the answering machine please encourage her to leave a message as Vivian is great about returning calls.

Not crazy about Beavercreek Armory - i've had a couple good experiences, but I've had a couple bad experiences with them also, and I'm not crazy about the owner's attitudes or customer service skills. I'll pass the info along, but we're exploring what TCGC, PSTC, and OFA have to offer. A buddy of mine is also checking around to see about classes geared toward ladies, as his wife wants to get her CHL also.

I won't argue that BeaverCreek Armory is the greatest place. It seems that they are in over their head each time I have been in there. The Tea and Target class is advertised as 1 hour classroom instruction and 1 hour range time, the $10 and 20 minutes is what they state on their Facebook page and while it seems short, is probably enough time to go down the checklist and "cover" the necessary information.

Obviously additional training will be helpful but that is always the case.

Sent my wife to OFA. The class is a lot more involved than just meeting the minimum requirements for the CHL. She got some range time and some great training involving emergency preparedness and personal safety. They answered all of her questions and she did say that it was helpful having a female instructor in the classroom and on the range. When she arrived home she informed me that we needed more firearms and more ammunition, I love that woman!

I had my CHL for 10 years when I decided to take my Utah class at OFA. I was impressed by the level of detail and decided to take their CHL basic class along with my wife. My first cert was kind of a joke (in a classroom back in 2001). OFA was a great place for her to become exposed to someone teaching her other than me (lol). The real benefit is that we now have a common reference for firearms handling that we agree on. She has since completed an advanced course (DH1? Got the little gold pin...) and even competed in speed steel.

While she may never be a competitive shooter, she still can hold her own at the range and has an overall safe demeanor. She still doesn't carry but when I'm out of town I know she can protect herself.

I give OFA a big thumbs up, Dan and the boys/girl do a great job!

If your wife has additional questions please encourage her to sign up to this forum and to check out the "Ladies Only" portion. We can help her figure out all sorts of "women only" solutions. For example: if she will be shooting semi-auto, she should wear a brimmed hat and avoid a low cut blouse or she will get hot casings in places their shouldn't be hot casings.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top