JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I renewed my CHL on line the other day exactly 43 days before its expiration date. Today I received the new CHL in the mail. I was about the shred the old one, but thought I should check a few things closely before doing so. To my surprise, the new CHL takes effect 40 days from now. Had I shredded the old one I'd have been naked for the next 40 days. It pays to be careful. I thought I should just pass on this reminder, in case somebody out there makes the assumption that the new CHL takes effect immediately, like I almost did.

when I renewed last year I had to go in person and they took my old CHL, the new one was effective immediately.
So it seems the process varies by county of issue. Certainly worth checking

I'm in Clackamas County. The new CHL says it's valid from 8/26/2014 to 8/26/2018. That leaves a gap from now to 8/26/2014, so I'm currently carrying the old CHL and the new one. And yes, I renewed on line with a credit card on Monday and received the new CHL today in the mail.

I renewed my CHL on line the other day exactly 43 days before its expiration date. Today I received the new CHL in the mail. I was about the shred the old one, but thought I should check a few things closely before doing so. To my surprise, the new CHL takes effect 40 days from now. Had I shredded the old one I'd have been naked for the next 40 days. It pays to be careful. I thought I should just pass on this reminder, in case somebody out there makes the assumption that the new CHL takes effect immediately, like I almost did.

Cheers Zigzag thanks for the info.

I'd guess your old card is still in the system and would still be valid even though your carrying the new one.

Better safe then sorry though, so good looking out!

I believe the law is written such that if your CHL isn't on your person it's as if it doesn't exist. I could be wrong, but that's what I'm remembering.

I believe the law is written such that if your CHL isn't on your person it's as if it doesn't exist. I could be wrong, but that's what I'm remembering.
that's probably the best way of looking at it really. Its my understanding that if you don't have your CHL on your person its prima facie evidence it doesn't exist meaning you'll get arrested or charged with the crime of carrying concealed. I've never heard of a case though where someone was convicted of not having it on their person. This is the part about the CHL program I don't like as I believe in constitutional carry. I've already got enough junk to carry in my wallet let alone make certain I don't honestly leave behind.

In Yamhill County you are required to renew in person. When you renew, they take your old card away and give you a dated paper receipt with the sheriff's department stamp on it that serves as a temporary permit until you get your new one in the mail. By mistake I went in about 2 weeks too early to renew but when I explained that it was hard for me to take a day off work the deputy was very cooperative and found a work-around for the problem by taking my photo and then just keeping my renewal application in his desk for 2 weeks before processing it.

How to invalidate concealed carry in five easy steps.

Step 1: You have to have your permit on your person . . . completed!!
step 2: Copper asks for your permit. Tells you he'll have to take it to headquarters.
Step 3: Copper 1 informs copper 2 that you still have your sidearm but no permit on your person.
Step 4: Copper 2 arrests you for felony of not having said permit on your person.
Step 5: You are found guilty of said felony and permanently lose right to own firearms.

Consider yourself lucky that copper 2 didn't shoot you because you had the audacity to carry your weapon without a permit.

Sheldon

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads