JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just as an FYI, I called Clackamas County to get an appt to start the licensing process. First available appt was MAY 11th!!!!!!!!

Business is booming. So glad I bought that S&W stock :)

i called the WA County sheriffs office to find out if they had received my app and the clerk told me they were running 3-4 weeks behind due to all the new apps flooding into the office.

I turned my app in and did my appointment feb 25th... still no response yet. I seriously doubt they are going to give it to me anyway; I have a few too many tickets to be considered a citizen capable of making good decisions according to the gal at the sheriff's office

which is insane to me. My right to properly protect myself in a harmful situation could be revoked due to a few DWS? It sure would be a shame if I got shot in a robbery or involved in a situation I could have saved lives but won't be able to

I turned my app in and did my appointment feb 25th... still no response yet. I seriously doubt they are going to give it to me anyway; I have a few too many tickets to be considered a citizen capable of making good decisions according to the gal at the sheriff's office

which is insane to me. My right to properly protect myself in a harmful situation could be revoked due to a few DWS? It sure would be a shame if I got shot in a robbery or involved in a situation I could have saved lives but won't be able to
Well, If it as all applicable to DWS, its probably because they rightfully believe you have a problem making the right decision...

If it's driving while suspended, that would be your problem. While this is usually only an infraction or a misdemeanor, under some circumstances it will be a felony. For example, driving while your license is suspended for a DWI. Yet, a bunch of moving violations won't constitute a felony, as far as I know.

I see no reason why the sheriff won't issue you a CHL. The Sheriff must not only say that you are a danger to yourself or others, but prove it with previous examples if he was to attempt to deny you a CHL. I don't think the clerk has it right on this issue, as traffic tickets don't constitute a legitimate reason, such as being a danger to yourself or others in terms of behaviour. Of course, I'm basing this on the assumption that these are traffic violations such as speeding tickets.

Just carry anyways.

Uh, what? OC isn't legal in Salem unfortunately....

If it's driving while suspended, that would be your problem. While this is usually only an infraction or a misdemeanor, under some circumstances it will be a felony. For example, driving while your license is suspended for a DWI. Yet, a bunch of moving violations won't constitute a felony, as far as I know.

I see no reason why the sheriff won't issue you a CHL. The Sheriff must not only say that you are a danger to yourself or others, but prove it with previous examples if he was to attempt to deny you a CHL. I don't think the clerk has it right on this issue, as traffic tickets don't constitute a legitimate reason, such as being a danger to yourself or others in terms of behaviour. Of course, I'm basing this on the assumption that these are traffic violations such as speeding tickets.

Driving While Suspended...

I'm with you on this one. I'm hoping the clerk doesn't really know what she is talking about. I've made it this far in life without carrying but after surviving lymphoma recently I have a strong will to not fall victim to anything else that could endanger my life. I want to take all the procautions now a days; it's really important to me

You cannot have a misdemeanor within ( I believe ) 3 years of the application. I just got mine a few weeks ago. I took my application in. And got an appointment for a month after, and then after that...even though I got to actually hold the license in my hand...didnt get it for another month. Yeah there were tears.

You cannot have a misdemeanor within ( I believe ) 3 years of the application. I just got mine a few weeks ago. I took my application in. And got an appointment for a month after, and then after that...even though I got to actually hold the license in my hand...didnt get it for another month. Yeah there were tears.

Congrads on getting your CHL.

Ya, I'm completely legal to apply, passed my background check, did the finger print card, etc. I did all that on the 25th of feb and to my understanding they have 45 days to reply. So it's getting close, I'm anxiously waiting to say the least.

I'm wanting to carry a HK USP Compact or a HK 45c

Thanks!
I did mine on the 24th of Feb? Not sure. She even told me when to expect it in the mail. Got it the day after she said it would be issued.
I'm carrying my XD 40. I have a Beretta PX4 that I want to carry also, so I had to get another holster. Just waiting for that to show up.
Yeah my next purchase is going to be an HK, I really like those.

Congrads on getting your CHL.

Ya, I'm completely legal to apply, passed my background check, did the finger print card, etc. I did all that on the 25th of feb and to my understanding they have 45 days to reply. So it's getting close, I'm anxiously waiting to say the least.

I'm wanting to carry a HK USP Compact or a HK 45c

How will you carry the USP? What type of holster.
Do you already have experience with a USP variant?
I love the USP .45, but don't like the external safety for a carry weapon.

I'm currently looking for a P2000 V3 Full Size in .357 Sig. Significantly thinner than the USP, and no external safety, but rear decocker.

How will you carry the USP? What type of holster.
Do you already have experience with a USP variant?
I love the USP .45, but don't like the external safety for a carry weapon.

I'm currently looking for a P2000 V3 Full Size in .357 Sig. Significantly thinner than the USP, and no external safety, but rear decocker.

I have an LEM HK USP 40 and love it. LEM trigger, No safety, No decock, awesome gun.

I want the same setup in the compact model. I've seen some HK45c LEM as well. I try to stay away from pistol's with safety levers also...

P2000 is another one I am considering, in 40cal

http://www.impactguns.com/store/704037LEMLC.html

And the HK45c LEM

Get the help of Oregon Firearms Federation if there is no response within the legal time frame. OFF has helped people resolve issues like this.

Oh now thats just pretty. Yeah I need to get one of those.
Bah ignore the remarks, hopefully they don't count traffic violations. You should just give them a call and ask them if they have processed it yet or not. Either way, good luck!

I live in Vancouver and I wanted to get my CHL in Portland too. I filled everything out and sent it in, they sent me a date for June 1st!!! Freaking June! You should be so lucky to get it in there in May.

Wow... I stopped by the Marion County S.O. this morning, picked up the CHL application packet, then called the number for scheduling appointments, and got one for Apr. 10th... I actually have to wait for ONE WEEK before my appointment... how dare they keep me waiting for THAT long!! :D

Seriously, I must say... I got a CHL from Multnomuh County back in 1990 (or so) and I had to wait almost 2 months for an appointment, but the Marion County folks were VERY pleasant to deal with in person, and on the telephone! :s0155:

Jackson county is first come first serve on a walk in basis. I took about 4.5 weeks from the date I filled out my app and was processed to the time my CHL arrived in the mail this weekend!

Ok, as mentioned above I submitted my application on Feb 25th, 09. It has been 42 days and I have not recieved a response. To my understanding they only have 45 days to get a response to my door. My question is, if they dont respond within 45 days what happens? Any1 have any info on the 45 day limit?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top