JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The cavity search is to make sure you can concealed carry safely.

If you want to be a hot shot, show up already carrying there. The officers at the metal detectors will be surely impressed.

-Robert

Benton county. First time was many years ago now. Most recent renewal, August 2021. Its just handing in the paperwork and getting photographed and fingerprinted. They don't ask any questions. They are courteous and efficient. The permit is plastic and very classy looking. For Benton County its suggested you get all the paperwork on line, print out the forms, and fill them out before you arrive at LE office. The forms also tell you what documentation you need besides the forms. Benton county does CHP by appointment. The whole thing took about five minutes or less from entering door to leaving.

Take a mask along you can put on before entering LE building. Its required. Big signs on the Benton County LE doors said so, and lady processing paperwork was masked. (I don't wear a mask outdoors. Just carry one to put on when going in stores, etc.) Don't carry concealed no matter how many troublemaking NWFAers suggest it. I would strongly advise against open carry too. I don't know whether its legal in our LE buildings but it can't help. I also left my EDC knife in the car since it might upset metal detectors and have to be temporarily left behind. Its legal in Corvallis, being just under a 4" blade, but I preferred to avoid having to leave it behind. There were no obvious metal detectors on the door to the part of the building I entered, which was all paperwork stuff. Maybe there are none at all, or maybe they aren't obvious. (Some cities in Oregon don't allow concealed 4" blade folding knives, only 3" or 3.5" blades. Knife laws in Oregon are complex and cities can and do preempt. I suggest leaving knife in car when going to get your CHP.)

So I have my appointment at the sheriff's office this week,
Polk or Marion? If Polk, it's super cinch. There's nothing to be remotely anxious about. You are turning in a basic form, doing finger prints, having a photo taken, and choking up some dough. They don't process you in the jail booking area. lol It sure beats a trip to the DMV! Parking can be a little iffy at times. I have no experience at Marion. I would assume they're probably a bit busier than Polk.

WA County. Super easy. Friendly folks. They take your prints and picture. Wait 10 minutes and they hand you your CHL card.

The time I was a little nervous was back when you needed the Sherriff to sign off on your Form 4 for a suppressor.
It involves an actual interview. It turned out to be a great experience. I met with a Lt Black in his office. While he was stamping the forms, he asked, What are you hosting it on. I replied, HK USP9sd. He replied, good choice, handed me the signed forms, shook my hand and said, see ya next time.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top