JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Killing something because it's fun is a sign of psychological misfortune. Daddy didn't love you?

dont be ridiculous. it's not the killing that's fun, it's the sport. varmint hunters do not put the same value in thoughtless, loveless, valueless, worthless rodents that you do- how is that their problem?

i can understand if you dont like it, but you need to understand thats YOUR PROBLEM and stop trying to stigmatize your opposition make everyone else out to be a psychopath.

dont be ridiculous. it's not the killing that's fun, it's the sport. varmint hunters do not put the same value in thoughtless, loveless, valueless, worthless rodents that you do- how is that their problem?

i can understand if you dont like it, but you need to understand thats YOUR PROBLEM and stop trying to stigmatize your opposition make everyone else out to be a psychopath.

Well said brother,,,:s0155:

Totally agree. Its kinda like when you see an overpriced gun on here, just move on. No need to rain on the original posters parade.

I shot some gophers as a kid with grandpa because the cattle would step in the holes the gophers would create and break legs, other than that no. I guess that is my point, when there is a reason for it I get it. For sport, I don't get it but to each his own. I'll just head back over to the handgun forums and you gentlemen have a nice day.

My daddy loved me just fine! But he sure did hate chipmunks!

So just to be clear the haters I'm sure are the same old gummers hangin out at the gun clubs belly achin anytime an assault rifle shows up cause it shoots more than 3 rounds an hour! Your morality isn't mine so stop trying to justify yours cause I am just fine with mine. I asked a simple question that's it if you don't like it move along! Maybe you need a better hobby than cruising the forums all day looking for things you dont like. I don't really care what you think it doesn't matter to me. If I like to shoot things for fun that's my buiseness not yours. Oh and to just let you all know I will be taking my 7yo son with me to shoot munks if it does turn out to be legal. And I will be telling him to try and take head shots on em! So how u like them apples! LOL!

My Dad is a trapper and has a fur bereare license......The california golden manteled squirrel is protected and so is the standard chipmunk the diference between the two is size and color the standard chipmunk is about half the size of a golden mantel and very drab looking (brown and black no gold color).....I vary rarely see actual chipmunks any more except in eastern oregon or high in the mountains...Last I heard the actual chipmunk (not golden manteled) is considerd a endangered species. The golden manteled is protected under some other obscure law.

"Watchable Wildlife" was the campaign and bill title for the law that made chipmunks (and just about every other native little critter that was previously unprotected) illegal to shoot. Whether or not it made it into the actual ORS with that title, I can't say, but it is still a phrase used by ODFW in literature and postings, including on the Oregon State Tax Form (for a deductible contribution). bkb, I was going to take offense at "I'm calling B.S." and I was going to take your dollar, but you beat me to both with your swift retraction of the monetary wager. Peace reigns.

I reside peacefully with chipmunks all around outside my house, but they need not destroy my crops or tempt my salivary glands in order for me to protect the structure of my house by all means necessary. When that happens, a termite is a wood-boring beetle, is a carpenter ant, is a rat, is a mouse, is a woodpecker, is a starling, is a squirrel and a chipmunk.

There is so much to shoot that I let chipmunks go even though they get in my shop & have babies sage rats are fun to shoot & I don't look down on people that shoot anything legal

If Playboy Penguin thinks chipmunks are "Not a Nuisance" I would quess he has never lived in an area where they live. Chewed up truck wiring, chewed up house wiring in the attic, anything stored in the shop that is not sealed in an air tight vault, like sleeping bags or tents is trash, not to mention an occasional screen door when the dog sees on run across the deck. They REALLY are nothing more than a pretty rat and can certainly be just as destructive.

Along the lines of Sav223's presentation: My aunt is a backpacking granola-type person (but one who understands hunting), and years ago took her son (my cousin) to Glacier Park for a trip. Before they went into the back country, it was required that they attend a short class put on by the rangers concerning how to deal with Grizzly Bears if you meet one on the trail. Okay. So, a couple hours in the class, great preparation, and away they went. Two days out, on foot, they set up camp (small nylon tent, and according to the class, (stinky) shoes placed just outside the door. Cousin Charlie awoke the next morning, went to put on his shoes, and found the tongues and laces completely eaten out of both shoes. Suspect determination was easy: a chipmunk was still inside one of his shoes. Charlie had to hike all the way out of interior Glacier to the trailhead with no shoelaces: not a good thing.

Their conclusion? The most dangerous animal in Glacier Park is a chipmunk.

It seems a lot of it has to do with the animals' population and behavior within a specific region. I've seen squirrels here do the craziest ****. The ones I grew up with would tear the needles off of fir trees leaving a naked, dying, conifer tree. That earned them a squirrel sized holocaust. And just yesterday, I thought my eyes were bugging, but I watched for 15 minutes as a squirrel tore the bark off of an oak tree and was viciously gnawing on the soft inner layers. Like a little fuzzy zombie after brains.

Yesterday I had a chance to watch the cat in action, chased one up the oriental maple and had a snack in the shade. She sure does like the way they taste that was the third one this week, of course I usually just find tails lying around.

ON topic- the definitions section of the Oregon big-game synopsis lists "golden-mantled ground squirrel AND chipmunks" under "Protected Mammals and Birds". Sorry I could not report the entire list but its there in black n white. Bruce H

Well darn it! Guess im gonna have to find a new critter to take out my psycological misfortunes on!!! Guess im gonna have to call daddy and find somethin else he hates now! pretty sure baby seals arent legal :( oh well. to all those that had Useful info thank you.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top