Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Chinese SKS Pricing

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by bluesurf, Feb 10, 2015.

1. bluesurf

bluesurf Portland Active Member

I am curious what these 3 SKS's are worth in today's market. I know years ago they were cheap junk. I have 3 Chinese made. 2 are marked Norinco.
    I am not looking to sell them in 15 minutes of posting. I don't mind waiting a few weeks for the right buyer. Any input would be great. Thanks for reading.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  2. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

$325
    $400
    $350

I wouldn't buy them for that but folks are selling them for around there from my browsing.

3. bluesurf

Maybe sell a little less, for an easy sell.

Thanks Joe for the reply.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
    Joe13 likes this.
  4. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Anytime;)

Now if I could just find some back in the $250 range or less I would buy another one:rolleyes:.

Best of Luck!

5. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

I'll pay you $100 cash for each of them. Message me and we'll set up a meeting time/place. ;)

:p

6. bluesurf

HAHA Stomper. I would take it as a down payment. ;)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  7. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Let's see....

1st serial number 24 MILLION and change.

2nd serial number 23 MILLION and change.

3rd serial number 12 MILLION and change.

$50 each, and THAT'S my final offer.

:D

bluesurf likes this.
  8. B5Ben

B5Ben Boise Well-Known Member

I like your negotiation tactic.

Stomper likes this.
  9. raftman

raftman Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

IMO some of these estimates are pretty high. Right now AIM Surplus (and likely other retailers) has all-original Chinese Type 56 SKS clones for $310. To most buyers these would be more desirable than rifles modified in the manner described in the OP.

1.250-275

10. 308

308 ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ Platinum Supporter Silver Supporter

I agree with raftman.
    IMO, the addition of tacticool aftermarket parts detracts from the beauty and originality of the SKS regardless of country of origin, and reduces the overall value to those who appreciate the rifle for what it is.

Joe13 likes this.
  11. Joe13

I agree 100%.

However, what they are worth and what they will sell for is two different prices unfortunaly.

All of the prepper survival youtube channels praise the SKS as the #1 SHTF gun because of the reliability and low price point. They inflated the market on a budget rifle to the point that they sell for almost what you can buy an AK for.

12. bluesurf

I read some articles where back in the day you could buy them for $59 or they even came free when you bought 1k rounds of ammo.

13. Gator Monroe

Gator Monroe Southern Cascades Well-Known Member

California prices seem to be seeping elsewhere (But in most cases we pay 20% Higher prices for SKS rifles than other states) AK even more (25%) in some cases . But AR prices are stable(Lower) as in other states (Parts even more so )

14. Gator Monroe

Heyday pricing for NIB or Dist boxed & sold affairs never dipped below $89.00 for Russian or Chinese (Unless you purchased 3 ) even in pre ban panic overstock kerfuffle but they did offer "Spam Can" ammo throw in deals ( Like $119.00 with a Can thrown in)

ogre likes this.
  15. raftman

I'd add that the preference for factory-original configuration isn't just an aesthetic preference (though it's certainly partially that), it's also a matter of function. Most SKS mods are attempts to turn the gun into something it isn't, wasn't meant to be, and really can't be. For example, the OP's SKS #3 with the Drag stock, scope, and bipod. The SKS was never meant to be scoped and most SKS scope mounts won't hold zero. The long range ballistics of 7.62x39 aren't too good anyways so you got something configured like a DMR along the lines of an SVD or PSL but nowhere near the function. Same for the OP's #1, which is configured to be more like an AK but is a relatively poor substitute for an AK. Want an AK? Buy an AK. Want a DMR of some type? Buy one. The SKS was made to be a simple, durable, reliable infantry rifle and left in that configuration it's a very decent weapon. When you change it though, you're usually left with something that is less than the sum of its parts.

Mephistopheles likes this.
  16. Gator Monroe

Ditto , I hate Tacticool Bubbafied SKS rifles almost as much as when folks do it to rare AK/AKM pattern weapons .

bluesurf likes this.
  17. Joe13

I put my 1964 Chinese paratrooper into a tapco stock for 2 reasons:

1. The original wood is very good to perfect and I don't want to mess that up because I'm plinking with it.

2. The gas tube piece comes with a rail on top that just happens to hold zero well enough to keep a red dot withing a 3" group at 150yrds which is about as far as I can see without glasses or magnified optics.

I kept the 10rnd fixed mag tho for reliability.

bluesurf likes this.
  18. raftman

The irony is the modifications often cost enough that one could simply have bought what they tried to turn their SKS into.

soberups likes this.
  19. Joe13

True. In my case though, I wanted an Sks not a cheap AK. Someday I'll be able to afford some of the higher end models.

20. coop44

coop44 Tacoma ,WA Well-Known Member

I wouldn't pay anything for a federal firearms violation ( 100% original except for the duckbill magazine ), look it up, 922r. good luck with your sale, there will be any number of willing idiots to buy it.