JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Trash No Land joins Public Land Stewards-Bend & Deschutes Nat Forest USFS
Cleanup along China Hat Rd in Central Oregon, South of Bend.
April 8th, 2023, 8:30
to 1 PM.

Sign-up Here and select Group 7 for the Trash No Land Cabin Butte cleanup.

Cabin Butte Group 7 TNL.png
Map.png

This will be a big one! We need help from lots of target shooters! Help us show the community and the forest agency that gun owners care too!

Presented by: Public Land Stewards Bend

Partnering with: Public Land Stewards Bend & Deschutes Nat Forest.

Meeting Location: Morning Star Christian School, 19741 Baker Rd, Bend, OR

Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/svvpsdM6JP4v1NRr8
GPS: 43.988772884395736, -121.33897969735325

Where: Meet at 8:30 AM at the above location, and follow us to the target shooting site at Cabin Butte.

Bring outdoor clothing and gloves. If you have them, bring rakes, shovels, trash pickers and/or magnet tools.

Sign-in and safety meeting at 8:30 AM with morning coffee, Bend Breakfast Burritos and good conversation with people you'll be glad to meet.

Cleanup 9 AM to 1 PM.

1:00 PM Event Concludes. Enjoy recreation in the awesome Central Oregon area!

All are welcome! We recommend children be of age 12 or older and be under adult supervision as there may be hazardous materials and sharp objects.

Firearm Policy: Handling or use of a firearm during event hours is not allowed at our events and is not an official part of our events. You may recreate as you wish after the event concludes.

Comment below (and be sure to sign up on the link at the top!).

Trash No Land Event page: https://www.trashnoland.org/china-hat-rd-bend-or-cleanup-april-8-23/

Last Edited:
I need someone local to print and distribute a few posters to gun and outdoor stores. I'll send a PDF file and I'll reimburse you for the printing cost.

Thanks,
Bill

Ah, but this long awaited weather change will surely be the demise of such a place.

I used to ride my trail 90 down through there, from Choctaw Village by KGRL, and it wasn't bad at all. But that was back in the late 70's - early 80's. So I'm looking forward to seeing it again.

I hear China Hat has been a problem for a while now.

April 8th!!! Have you signed up yet?

The total event has a volunteer cap of 150 people. With 2 weeks to go, there are 100 signed up! So, best sign up right away! The Trash No Land group is Group 7 and we can handle 50 in our group!

The organization on this event is awesome! In the next 2 weeks, crews will be out there with heavy equipment removing abandon vehicles. A final prep meeting will be on April 5th. Crew leaders are scouting their zones and mapping trash locations. Multiple people are taking on multiple tasks to assure the event runs smooth.

Ready? GO!

China Hat Rd, Bend OR Cleanup

Cabin Butte Group 7 TNL.png

I'm going to respond here for people to consider.
First I'm all about this clean up, but I will be busy that day with family. I apologize. This pit was not to bad recently. Sunriver pit was way worse tbh. Anyway.

For anyone that may be making this trip from out of the area you need to know that China hat is thr goto area for homeless and tweeker camps. The pit not so much, but surrounding areas can be dangerous. I am 5 mins from the base of the road and spend lots of time running out roads on thr klr. I have on many occasions come around a coner to a tarp camp and been confronted. They are down most dead end spurs roads, and can be very territorial. What you see as trash could be seen to them as property. For a little peek https://instagram.com/best_of_china_hat?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I say this not to scare anyone away, but do so to warn those who just don't know. I say this so you dress accordingly and bring the correct ppe. I highly suggest a med kit or the likes as well (I would suggest that regardless of the above so not a huge alarm). You will come across drug paraphernalia, human waste and other things that you shouldn't find laying around.
The area desperately needs help and the cleanup is fantastic. Just be prepared, know your location and don't get cornered down one of these areas.
Be safe and watch each other's back.

Last Edited:
I'm going to respond here for people to consider.
First I'm all about this clean up, but I will be busy that day with family. I apologize. This pit was not to bad recently. Sunriver pit was way worse tbh. Anyway.

For anyone that may be making this trip from out of the area you need to know that China hat is thr goto area for homeless and tweeker camps. The pit not so much, but surrounding areas can be dangerous. I am 5 mins from the base on my klr and spend lots of time running roads out in the area. I have on many occasions come around a coner to a tarp camp and been confronted. They are down most dead end spurs roads, and can be very tterritorial.what you see as trash could be seen to them as property. For a little peek https://instagram.com/best_of_china_hat?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I say this not to scare anyone away, but do so to warn those who just don't know. I say this so you dress accordingly and bring the correct ppe. I highly suggest a med kit or the likes as well (I would suggest that regardless of the above so not a huge alarm). You will come across drug paraphernalia, human waste and other things that you shouldn't find laying around.
The area desperately needs help and the cleanup is fantastic. Just be prepared, know your location and don't get cornered down one of these areas.
Be safe and watch each other's back.
Thanks for the reply and insights, Cape! You would be surprised at the organization this cleanup has by Public Land Stewards-Bend. They have done this cleanup several times and have a huge following. So, they know what they're up against. For the next two weeks, they will be combing the area with law enforcement to locate the trashed areas and map them out. They will be hauling away most of the abandoned vehicles too. With an event that has 150 people, in an area where you find anything and everything, you gotta be prepared to keep yourself and other people safe! I think they got the bases covered!

Our Group 7, Cabin Butte shooting pit, should be no problem (I hope!). Since we won't be wandering around dead end roads cleaning up camp sites, we should fine.

My only chance to preview the site before the cleanup will be on Friday the 7th. So, I won't have any pics of the existing condition till then. I'll stop by the Sunriver pit to see that too. If we have a lot of volunteers in our group and get done early, we will try to get other spots like Coyote Butte or head over to the Sunriver pit.

Thanks again. If your plans change, I hope to meet you there! Or drag the family out and show em what your all about! :D

Posted the cleanup on the /bend reddit.
It's will gain a little traction hopefully. Also sent it to the guy who runs the best_of_of_chinahat sub. Hopefully he will repost as he has the ears of many whe are concerned.

It's done and it was fun! An amazing cleanup! I posted the details in the thread Info for shooting on public lands

If you were there, I wouldn't have known. No one mentioned if they were on NWFA. Still, we had plenty of people to make a good representation of responsible shooters and we did a nice job. Lots more, so do what you can when you're out there!

Trip was great and want to do it again. I borrowed these pictures from the Public Land Stewards of Bend Facebook page. These really touched me on the severity of the issues in a lot of our communities. We drove through the "chop shop" area on the way home and it was just short of unreal. When there are escavators taking the top layer of soil and trash and putting it trailers to be hauled off. We werent part of this group but still felt affected by it.
Before.
FB_IMG_1681161624619.jpg
After
FB_IMG_1681161634688.jpg

Trip was great and want to do it again. I borrowed these pictures from the Public Land Stewards of Bend Facebook page. These really touched me on the severity of the issues in a lot of our communities. We drove through the "chop shop" area on the way home and it was just short of unreal. When there are escavators taking the top layer of soil and trash and putting it trailers to be hauled off. We werent part of this group but still felt affected by it.
Before.
View attachment 1401648
After
View attachment 1401649
There are lots of people talking about it here locally.
Appreciate the efforts of everyone. Hopefully the county and FS will be more active with thr camps up there. There is 3 other areas the homeless rotate to and from. China hat is always hit the hardest. They started moving back up a couple weeks ago competing for spots. Next few weeks will be like a mini gold rush of people staking claim to land.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top