Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Chileans protect, feed themselves after quake

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by Sun195, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

Interesting article (link here) about citizens banding together to defend themselves in Chile. Are there parallels or lessons for our area? Not sure about Oregon, but Washington could certainly see a quake of this magnitude.

2. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

This is very, very interesting. We've talked a lot about this "bugging in" and protecting our neighborhoods. There is evidence there of bad things that happened to people who "bugged out."

I've mentioned before that we live on a rural paved road which "T's" into a main road at both ends. We already have plans to block it and guard it at both ends. I'm lucky to have terrain where I can siphon from my very good well to a spot far down the hill and the whole neighborhood will have unlimited clean water.

Thanks for the post. The only big difference I see is that at least so far we also have guns.

Good post. :thumbup:

3. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

I was interested in their use of whistles to alert others about danger. I was reading something about community defense over at the Grandpappy's Site where he suggested a defense strategy based on responding to sound rather than geography:

Frankly, I've always thought about community defense in terms of a block-watch or CERT model where you focus on your own street. However, trouble-makers in a disaster won't necessarily operate that way - and if you can hear trouble on the next street over, it may be just a matter of time before it comes to you.

It's not clear whether these folks down in Chile have access to firearms or not:

Maybe there are fewer, but there appear to be some.

Another thought about Chile is this: when the earthquake hit Haiti & everything went bad - well, everything was already pretty bad there anyway, so I didn't see it quite as analogous to what we might experience up here. However, Chile is a relatively stable, prosperous, western-style democracy, so their reaction to a big event like this seems more relevant to what we might expect up here. Of course, one only needs to look at Katrina for a recent example of what we might expect.

4. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

The thing that keeps bugging me about Katrina was that it was a very small area, with the rest of the nation unscathed. Not even most of Louisiana was hurt.

Even so, look at how poor the state and national response was. Also, look at how that "culture" of people just sat and waited for help. That's not racist - that's all races of "entitlement" people who literally sat down and depended on the government.

Little reported was the looting and even murders. Little reported was the confiscation of guns, especially from those who bugged out.

It gives me a picture of what it might be like in any big city.

It also causes me to realize how bad it would be if it were the whole country due to, say, a financial meltdown, riots, and the resultant halt of deliveries of food and gasoline, etc. due to "trucker fear" or even truck hijackings. There might also be looting of stores that prevented restocking them.

I think we and our neighbors would be on our own, and maybe for a very long time.

$.02