JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've heard of this trick years ago. It's how people would break into cars around here.

I always key and small door airbag and rod in my car to unlock vehicles. In the case that won't work I keep a metal spring loaded punch in my car.
I worked for AAA for a while and unlocked cars daily. Maaay have even unlocked a few car doors previous to that in my youth, but that'a another discussion.

It's still illegal to break into a car to save an animal, you can be held liable for damages, but I would do it any way in a heartbeat.
When I worked for AAA we would get calls to unlock cars with animals locked inside, sometimes kids and those calls got priority. We were told to drop everything and get their asap.
But that was in Kentucky and those hot days are a whole different kind of hot.

People are sick.

Not disputing the porcelain hack, but c'mon... their first attempt to break the window with a "hammer" was a RUBBER MALLET... really? :rolleyes:

I keep a spring loaded center punch in all the glove boxes of my vehicles which will DESTROY auto side-windows. ;)

Last Edited:
I'm against using any kind of hammer or smashing tool when there's a kid inside. That glass shatters everywhere when hit and last thing I would want to do is get glass in some kids eyes.

It was funny one day at work this guy came in because he had locked his keys in his car. Had to get to work so he grabs our cinder block we use to hold the door open and just throws it through his window. Brings it back and says Thanks, then drives away. I couldn't stop laughing. Who does that?

I'm against using any kind of hammer or smashing tool when there's a kid inside. That glass shatters everywhere when hit and last thing I would want to do is get glass in some kids eyes.

It was funny one day at work this guy came in because he had locked his keys in his car. Had to get to work so he grabs our cinder block we use to hold the door open and just throws it through his window. Brings it back and says Thanks, then drives away. I couldn't stop laughing. Who does that?

And your alternative is ?

On the way back from a camping trip we visited the Tillamook Air Museum where they do not allow dogs. I put our dog in her kennel in the pickup bed covered by a camper shell. It was 60 degrees, windy, and cloudy.

I came out to find a note on my windshield scolding me because none of the windows were open. The inside of the shell was the same temperature as outside.

People have been dumbed down to the point they don't know enough to make these kinds of decisions. The important thing is just to care. Now these idiots are going to feel empowered to break peoples windows? Nice.

Supposedly an outside temp above 60 on a sunny day can overheat your dog (with windows down but little to no wind) in about 10 min.

My windows are very dark and I park in the shade if I'm not taking the dog with me inside, but even then I'm keenly aware of the time I'm gone.

Common sense isn't common anymore...

A peice off a spark plug will break a window way faster and easier then a tire iron - like was said, it's been in the car thief handbook since I Was a kid and heard rumors.

I have no problem breaking a window IF I feel there is danger to the child or animal - It's like carrying a gun, you know when It is time to use it.

I've called the sheriff once and was told he was 10-15 min out and to 'do whatever I felt nessecary' if he wasn't going to be there in sufficient time. Broke that window and the dog out and with a bowl of water in the shade. Lady was pissed but when the cop showed up he backed me and told her the option was a ticket for reckless endangerment of an animal (can't remember the exact wording he used) and told her she should thank me for saving her dog and a large ticket.

Never heard another word about the incident before or after I left.

Like I and others said, using a spring loaded punch or I would rather use the tools I keep in my car to just unlock it.
99% of vehicles I can get into. Most within a minute or less.

Pretty neat video on YouTube about how to unlock you door with a tennis ball with a small cut in it... Lots of options if your prepared.

I have one of these that works great for creating a gap to put a rod through

image.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews