JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So my wife wanted chickens forever. So I give in and we have 9 and 3 ducks. But the Rats came in fast and furious. I have been baiting them, and catching them in live trap, then drowning them. The bait takes a long time to work, if much at all, and the live trap takes lots of work with above average affects. I have kids and a dog, but its in a safer place. The rats are Nader the barn, then they come eat the chicken food. Pisses me off. Any ideas how to get the upper hand? Cats are out! Love them, but road kills them all.

Don't forget punji sticks on the bottom of the bucket.. some rats are about two feet long.
Heh, that was weird your post wasn't there when I did mine but then again, I was dicking around tying to find a pic of a laser chicken.
death to all rats!

Arm your family with. 22 autos and flashlights. Make it a game, family game night if you will. Go to barn, turn on flahlights, blast rats for 10 seconds until rats break contact and retreat. Go back to house, make popcorn, watch tv with the family for an hour. Go back to barn for another rat raid......repeat as necessary. Dont worry about the enemy dead, the rats will drag their dead and wounded on their own. You will never get them all but you can keep their numbers manageable AND bond with the family at the same time. Talk about your win/win family values! Least thats what my family did. :)

Stop feeding the rats. Their population will decrease when not fed.
Control how much food you give to the chickens.
There should be only enough presented daily, that they are cleaning up every scrap and crumb, leaving nothing for the vermin.

Those T-Rex rat traps work good.. they generally won't get birds as you can zip-tie them sideways on a fencepost etc. and or upside down on a pipe/limb etc.
Safe and easy for even a kid to set.

508_trapper_t_rex.png

Stop feeding the rats. Their population will decrease when not fed.
Control how much food you give to the chickens.
There should be only enough presented daily, that they are cleaning up every scrap and crumb, leaving nothing for the vermin.

True! My wife built a feeder out of 4 inch PVC. Stands up 5 feet and has a outlet in the bottom for the chickens to eat from. On the other hand, feeding by hand everyday takes time away from all the other stuff needing done. I'm thinking a better coop next time. This one is sweet! But, just more protection next time.

Savage FV-SR
Liberty Kodiak TL suppressor
ATN Aries 350 night vision scope
CCI segmented sub-sonic ammo

You might not eliminate the rats, but you will have a lot of
fun trying.;)

Those T-Rex rat traps work good.. they generally won't get birds as you can zip-tie them sideways on a fencepost etc. and or upside down on a pipe/limb etc.
Safe and easy for even a kid to set.

508_trapper_t_rex.png

Be sure to anchor your traps with wire so a wounded rat can't drag it away. I've seen them do it!

I haven't tried this yet, but here goes. Planning to place a regular red lightbulb near the bird feeders so I can see the nasty rodents. Then setting up a convient place to shoot from using my lighted reticle scope on my pellet rifle.I often shoot them in daylight but repeat shots are rare!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top